Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 16, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #7,291 of 7,847
I have owned the VM-1a before and sold it. Bought it again and will get it on Saturday. I really did not need to get it because I have something that is almost as good. However, logic sometimes does not apply in life.

The new T1-1b is extremely good. With my Schitt Mjolnir and Schitt Aegir amps the sound is about 90% of the VM-1a. This is with the Schit Yggi+ DAC. I sold my Lumin X1 DAC and like the Yggi+ Less is More, I like the Yggi a bit more than the X1 (the DAC section of the X1).

The Schitt stack allows for multiple source connections which is my biggest beef with the VM-1a, since it only has 1. The sound of the Schitt stack is cleaner but the VM-1a is a fuller bodied sound. Not sure if that translates to real world meaning but I got no other words.

I have a Peachtree GAN1 that was modded by Ric Schultz at tweakaudio.com. That is an incredible unit and almost as good as the VM-1a. I think a bit better than the Class A Schitt stack. I will have another set of ears on Saturday to listen to all 3 and give me feedback.

The old interface box is left way behind by the new TI-1b in my setups. I used some killer amps in the past with the old box, along with great speaker cable. However, the new TI-1b is a game changer for interfacing to amps.

I love the AHB2, I am selling my CODA #16 to replace it with 2 AHB2's, and buy the VM-1a.
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/coda-16-vs-benchmark-ahb2-yamaha-ns500-speaker

So do not take offense when I say that the AHB2 is awful with the RAAL phones., Even with a very warm preamp in front. Though it is way better with the new TI-1b.
Thanks yyzSB - I have read many of your posts here and eslewhere. Everything I've read points to the VM1a being a natural choice. Your Schiit stack might also be a good option (but UK Schiit support is often patchy in terms of product availability).

The Peachtree amps were an option I toyed with before jumping on the AHB2 - how are your GAN1's modded? Was that necessary?

No offence taken, I really enjoy the SR1a's off the resistor interface via the AHB1s and it's just personal taste.

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #7,292 of 7,847
Multiple drivers = more complex design.
One of the highlights of the single ribbon in the SR-1b is it's pure coherency.
Adding additional drivers may make it difficult to preserve it.

In any case, it'll be interesting to hear impressions, and possibly later to try out.
I'm still learning my SR-1b and it is certainly not a plug-and-play headphones, it is very finicky and requires many tweaks and matching gear to shine.
Just ordered the star-8 cable.
Can't wait to hear your impressions of the Star8 cable! It's gotten rave reviews - bought one a while back, but for some weird reason it didn't sound good in my system.

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #7,293 of 7,847
Thanks yyzSB - I have read many of your posts here and eslewhere. Everything I've read points to the VM1a being a natural choice. Your Schiit stack might also be a good option (but UK Schiit support is often patchy in terms of product availability).

The Peachtree amps were an option I toyed with before jumping on the AHB2 - how are your GAN1's modded? Was that necessary?

No offence taken, I really enjoy the SR1a's off the resistor interface via the AHB1s and it's just personal taste.
The PeachTree GAN1 was ripped apart and new wiring, new speaker posts (with wood sticking out, crazy), and other things that are documented on the A'Gon thread on the GAN1 were done. The amp is not really an amp. It is more like an integrated. It only has a single input, which is SPDIF. I use a Sonore OptiicalRendu to stream via ROON. I needed another Sonore product to convert from USB to SPDIF ($500). My streaming is high quality. I used to use the Lumin X1 (not the DAC part) to stream to the GAN1 and that was very convenient and sounded great. The elimination of so much wiring and connections is one of the secret sauces to this piece of gear. Compared to to the stock GAN amp this modded one is much better. I would not consider the stock amp for any of my setups.

The only issue with the GAN1 is that baffle compensation cannot be done by the barrels, since there are no analog inputs. To use a SR1a you need to use Mitch's filters. I only use the CA-1a with the GAN1 + 25-foot RAAL cable for backyard listening. No barrel compensation needed for the CA-1a and the GAN1.

I think I have pretty good hearing, but this weekend I will have someone with golden ears over to my place. I want to get their impression of the VM-1a, Schitt stack, and the GAN1. I will post here the feedback.

I was speaking with someone recently who bought the GAN1 used for $600 and paid Ric $600 for the mods. That is a screaming bargain. He uses the amp for 2-channel. His feedback is like mine. What an incredible 'amp'.

BTW - the Schitt Aegir amp is being discontinued for $699. This is a 20-watt Class A amp and more than enough for the RAAL phones with the new TI-1b interface box. I have not heard the Nelson Pass FIrst Watt amps, but I have read people compare the Aegir very favorably to those low watt amps. I wanted to buy a used First Watt amp, but after trying out the Aegir (Schitt is 70 miles away from me) I decided that this was more than good enough.

BTW2- the old resister interface is I think noisier than the new TI-1b. On an amp like the AHB2 you will easily hear the difference. That will come across as hardness in the sound. I used to have AHB2 monos and had the old resister box. It was fatiguing to me. However, the new box removes those gremlins and is not fatiguing. I had 2 of the older boxes and the last of them was sold today.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #7,294 of 7,847
The PeachTree GAN1 was ripped apart and new wiring, new speaker posts (with wood sticking out, crazy), and other things that are documented on the A'Gon thread on the GAN1 were done. The amp is not really an amp. It is more like an integrated. It only has a single input, which is SPDIF. I use a Sonore OptiicalRendu to stream via ROON. I needed another Sonore product to convert from USB to SPDIF ($500). My streaming is high quality. I used to use the Lumin X1 (not the DAC part) to stream to the GAN1 and that was very convenient and sounded great. The elimination of so much wiring and connections is one of the secret sauces to this piece of gear. Compared to to the stock GAN amp this modded one is much better. I would not consider the stock amp for any of my setups.

The only issue with the GAN1 is that baffle compensation cannot be done by the barrels, since there are no analog inputs. To use a SR1a you need to use Mitch's filters. I only use the CA-1a with the GAN1 + 25-foot RAAL cable for backyard listening. No barrel compensation needed for the CA-1a and the GAN1.

I think I have pretty good hearing, but this weekend I will have someone with golden ears over to my place. I want to get their impression of the VM-1a, Schitt stack, and the GAN1. I will post here the feedback.

I was speaking with someone recently who bought the GAN1 used for $600 and paid Ric $600 for the mods. That is a screaming bargain. He uses the amp for 2-channel. His feedback is like mine. What an incredible 'amp'.

BTW - the Schitt Aegir amp is being discontinued for $699. This is a 20-watt Class A amp and more than enough for the RAAL phones with the new TI-1b interface box. I have not heard the Nelson Pass FIrst Watt amps, but I have read people compare the Aegir very favorably to those low watt amps. I wanted to buy a used First Watt amp, but after trying out the Aegir (Schitt is 70 miles away from me) I decided that this was more than good enough.

BTW2- the old resister interface is I think noisier than the new TI-1b. On an amp like the AHB2 you will easily hear the difference. That will come across as hardness in the sound. I used to have AHB2 monos and had the old resister box. It was fatiguing to me. However, the new box removes those gremlins and is not fatiguing. I had 2 of the older boxes and the last of them was sold today.
Does Ric have a website for the modifications he does?

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #7,295 of 7,847
Does Ric have a website for the modifications he does?
http://tweakaudio.com/

http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Digital_amp_mods.html

BTW - a cool thing about the GAN1 setup I have is that I control the volume using ROON (cell phone, tablet, etc..). Normally I use fixed volume but for the GAN1 you must use variable. It has no physical volume control.

BTW2 - I sent RIc my old resister box and the RAAL SR1a for him to listen while he modded the amp. He never listened once, a bit of a stubborn guy.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #7,296 of 7,847
Multiple drivers = more complex design.
One of the highlights of the single ribbon in the SR-1b is it's pure coherency.
Adding additional drivers may make it difficult to preserve it.
Speakers are multi driver, Iems are multidriver... besides Dan Clark's AMTS system, I haven't seen much innovation in the headphone space. And going for a multi driver design is probably the only thing that will compete/ take things to the next level. I think single driver headphones have reached a technical limitation speed wise, and you need some other tricks to push detail and clarity further.

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #7,297 of 7,847
So, I'm finally setting up my VM-1a now that I have the space since I just sold my 3ES Elite.

I'm gonna be lazy and not search the 487 pages, but what upgraded tubes are you all rocking? I listen 40% of the time to metal, 40% hip-hop, and 20% rock, indie and jazz.

Also, I gotta figure out which mode to use for my VM-1a. :thinking:

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #7,298 of 7,847
Wow, the VM-1a really does increase the bass on the SR1b, even without Mitch filters in triode mode. I'm actually very surprised by this. :hushed:

Now I want those new 3 ribbon headphones asap.

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #7,299 of 7,847
Wow, the VM-1a really does increase the bass on the SR1b, even without Mitch filters in triode mode. I'm actually very surprised by this. :hushed:

Now I want those new 3 ribbon headphones asap.
Your enthusiasm is driving the price up with every post, LOL.

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #7,300 of 7,847
Your enthusiasm is driving the price up with every post, LOL.
Okay, I'll shut up about it now :beyersmile:

Also, the CA sounds really, really good off the VM-1a. The bass is unbelievable actually. Th900mk2 levels. I just wish it had SR1a resolution and soundstage. But damn, it's real impressive

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #7,301 of 7,847
The SR1b with the VM-1a might be better than the Shang Sr. That extra bass really helps. The resolution on the Sr1b is slightly lower than the Shang, but the added low end is a big plus

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #7,302 of 7,847
The SR1b with the VM-1a might be better than the Shang Sr. That extra bass really helps. The resolution on the Sr1b is slightly lower than the Shang, but the added low end is a big plus
The Ca-1a is the only thing that comes close to the DCA headphones in resolution for me (He-1 is like 4th on my list), but they are still ahead by quite a bit, and the bass on the Expanse is awesome.
Have you ever gotten around to that dCS audition?

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #7,303 of 7,847
The Ca-1a is the only thing that comes close to the DCA headphones in resolution for me (He-1 is like 4th on my list), but they are still ahead by quite a bit, and the bass on the Expanse is awesome.
Have you ever gotten around to that dCS audition?
No, I haven't unfortunately. There is nowhere around were I live. I'll probably go to NYC CanJam again, so maybe I can audition the DCS lineup at a shop in the city. I just wish they had my WA33 EE JPS and TCs on hand, but they won't of course. I need to get an in-home demo from a dealer, but I don't know if that's possible

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #7,304 of 7,847
No, I haven't unfortunately. There is nowhere around were I live. I'll probably go to NYC CanJam again, so maybe I can audition the DCS lineup at a shop in the city. I just wish they had my WA33 EE JPS and TCs on hand, but they won't of course. I need to get an in-home demo from a dealer, but I don't know if that's possible
Just buy the Rossini Apex and clock blind. You have my personal guarantee you won't be disappointed, lol. Timbre ,bass, spatial ques turned up to 12 :p .

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #7,305 of 7,847
Okay, I'll shut up about it now :beyersmile:

Also, the CA sounds really, really good off the VM-1a. The bass is unbelievable actually. Th900mk2 levels. I just wish it had SR1a resolution and soundstage. But damn, it's real impressive
I love the VM-1a with both the CA1a and SR1a, but I found it made a much bigger difference with the CA1a than SR1a. It's kind of staggering how much of a difference it made, for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back