Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 15, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #7,276 of 7,885
My sponsorship account here hasn't started yet, so all will be known later.

For now, the answer to a technical question is that the more ribbons it has, the easier to drive and less power it needs.
Simply, there is less attenuation from the cable if the resistance of ribbons is higher.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Jan 15, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #7,277 of 7,885

For now, the answer to a technical question is that the more ribbons it has, the easier to drive and less power it needs.
Simply, there is less attenuation from the cable if the resistance of ribbons is higher.
Interesting, and counter-intuitive to me. But can we use our VM-1a?

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #7,279 of 7,885
Yes, of course.
It has too much power for these, so careful with the volume :)
Awesome

Shut-up-and-take-my-money-a-%E2%80%98Futurama-reboot-is-coming-750x530.jpg

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #7,280 of 7,885
so if the VM-1a has too much power what would be the proper amp...?...would we use an amp with the adapter box?...

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #7,282 of 7,885
ok good, thanks

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #7,283 of 7,885
Having healthy power was never bad for speakers or headphones, so VM, HSA, Hyperion are all proper amps, as well as many usual suspect so far.
All there is to it is that the pot will be 6-8dB lower than now.
Excellent! Good to know that! Look forward to it. At least the Hyperion Ge and HSA will be able to serve this well. :) @Aleksandar R. Pls let us know if you start another thread for this new ribbon HP. 🙏

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #7,285 of 7,885
Interesting that the new phone will require less power. I have a few ways that I drive the current phones:

1) VM-1a
2) Schit Mjolnir preamp + Schitt Aegir amp + RAAL TI-1b
3) PeachTree GAN1 (modded) + RAAL TI-1b

My latest model Schitt Mjolnir preamp has a headphone output, but it does not drive the CA-1a well. No where close to the other 3 setups. I use the RAAL cable to hook up the CA-1a to the Mjolnir. That setup may work better with the new phones if the power requirement is lowered enough.

BTW - if anyone is looking for an excellent 2-channel amp. I am putting up my CODA #16 amp for sale to get some cash for the VM-1a. I also have a Sanders Magtech (great with Maggies), but have not put that up for sale. One of those 2 can go since today I do not need both.

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #7,286 of 7,885
Legit. Owned by me. It's my new spare-no-effort brand. Starting here on Head-Fi on 1st. of February.

It's a new brand in the same family tree, but all new concept...
I stand ready to build whatever amp it takes to drive them! 😀

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #7,287 of 7,885

Thank you for replying :) . I imagine the TI-1B + HM1 will work even better with it than the Ca-1a, and that the Star 8 will also be an upgrade for it.
Considering how ahead of its time the SR-1A was, and that this is a cost-no-object item, I'm wary of even asking the price, but I think 5k might be conservative.
Technical performance, I assume you are taking a shot at the HE-1/Aperio/X9000 , but with a much better value proposition. TBH I would take (and did in fact) the Ca-1a in my system over the HE-1, so baring any tuning issues , I don't think that would be an issue.
Considering the multi driver approach, I'm also curious how much of a role Mitch's filters will play here, and if it was designed with that approach in mind for tuning.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #7,288 of 7,885
Advice sought - may be ignored.

I find myself "slumming" with my old Jot-R, my Benchmark AHB2 having stopped working following a transient mains power event at the weekend. Checked the fuses but the amp shows no signs of life. I'll get it fixed, it's a great amp, but has got my brain whirring around options to tickle my SR1a's up a notch.

Do I chase down a VM1a, go for something else with the TI-1B interface or am I just better holding offf for a repair on the Benchmark? I don't have much time to travel to audition amps. Is the VM1a THAT good (I think I know what y'all are going to say to that question...)?

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #7,289 of 7,885
I have owned the VM-1a before and sold it. Bought it again and will get it on Saturday. I really did not need to get it because I have something that is almost as good. However, logic sometimes does not apply in life.

The new T1-1b is extremely good. With my Schitt Mjolnir and Schitt Aegir amps the sound is about 90% of the VM-1a. This is with the Schit Yggi+ DAC. I sold my Lumin X1 DAC and like the Yggi+ Less is More, I like the Yggi a bit more than the X1 (the DAC section of the X1).

The Schitt stack allows for multiple source connections which is my biggest beef with the VM-1a, since it only has 1. The sound of the Schitt stack is cleaner but the VM-1a is a fuller bodied sound. Not sure if that translates to real world meaning but I got no other words.

I have a Peachtree GAN1 that was modded by Ric Schultz at tweakaudio.com. That is an incredible unit and almost as good as the VM-1a. I think a bit better than the Class A Schitt stack. I will have another set of ears on Saturday to listen to all 3 and give me feedback.

The old interface box is left way behind by the new TI-1b in my setups. I used some killer amps in the past with the old box, along with great speaker cable. However, the new TI-1b is a game changer for interfacing to amps.

I love the AHB2, I am selling my CODA #16 to replace it with 2 AHB2's, and buy the VM-1a.
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/coda-16-vs-benchmark-ahb2-yamaha-ns500-speaker

So do not take offense when I say that the AHB2 is awful with the RAAL phones., Even with a very warm preamp in front. Though it is way better with the new TI-1b.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #7,290 of 7,885
Multiple drivers = more complex design.
One of the highlights of the single ribbon in the SR-1b is it's pure coherency.
Adding additional drivers may make it difficult to preserve it.

In any case, it'll be interesting to hear impressions, and possibly later to try out.
I'm still learning my SR-1b and it is certainly not a plug-and-play headphones, it is very finicky and requires many tweaks and matching gear to shine.
Just ordered the star-8 cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back