Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 5, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #6,781 of 7,847
in other words not remotely portable but even not particularly transportable on need
Portable, no. Transportable, yes, if you use the Schitt Jot R as the direct drive amp. It's a nifty little box as all Schitt products tend to be. Then you plug in your DAP via LO into XLR/RCA. Hey presto! Office set up that you could move around. :)

Jun 5, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #6,782 of 7,847
Got a replacement for my T1c box, along with a new IC. Both channels now working as expected. I ended up getting the T1a instead of a T1c, which I think was due to timing--my dealer mentioned that there was a few week wait for a same unit replacement I believe. With the T1c, it still seemed like there wasn't much headroom left, so I don't know how much of a performance difference there is between it and the T1a. But in any event, the EC isn't going to cut it without dialing up the volume on my DAC.

So I'm using my Hegel H120 integrated speaker amp and there's more than enough juice. I'm not sure if it's worth eventually trying to swap the T1a for the T1c, but with the speaker amp the CA-1a sounds really, really good. Clarity stands out, with more complete bass than the Sr1a (not by much) and with a bit less staging space (which was expected). Impressed by the timbre as well.

I think all around, Raal's products are damn near bargains, which you don't see in the TOTL space at all. The Sr1a and CA-1a both punch above their price points. After a bit more time I'll test out 1) the Star 8 cable vs. stock; and 2) using the EC 300b as a preamp to see how things sound. Thanks to Raal for working with my dealer and I to get things swapped out so quickly.

The star8 cable is really good. just an FYI, you'll need just a bit more juice to hit a similar volume level with that cable over the stock.

The vm1a with both Raal headphones is fab. am quite relieved I went with the Raal system; realistically, just these two headphones can satisfy almost all of my audio needs. I had hesitation going estats because I only really wanted the x9k but didn't want to splurge on an amp just for one headphone.

*edit

was just thinking of that statement I made above about the two Raal hps being enough.. man, it'd be sweet to just sell off everything else and just have one nice source, dac, nice amp, 2 hps and call it a day. lol..

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #6,783 of 7,847
Don’t forget to use Mitch filters as well. As for the bass, I do find it to have quite a margin compared to SR1a, but I haven’t tried the updated SR1a filters. My favorite track to compare the bass is “Mira” from Melody Gardot’s Live in Europe album.

Definitely on my radar. Giving it some time stock first and then will check the filters out. I can tell right off the bat that the bass is improved, need more time to make a more grand statement. But what's there does matter, makes it a bit more complete experience from what I can tell thus far. Will report back! (will also check that album out :))

The star8 cable is really good. just an FYI, you'll need just a bit more juice to hit a similar volume level with that cable over the stock.

The vm1a with both Raal headphones is fab. am quite relieved I went with the Raal system; realistically, just these two headphones can satisfy almost all of my audio needs. I had hesitation going estats because I only really wanted the x9k but didn't want to splurge on an amp just for one headphone.

*edit

was just thinking of that statement I made above about the two Raal hps being enough.. man, it'd be sweet to just sell off everything else and just have one nice source, dac, nice amp, 2 hps and call it a day. lol..

Mannn I've had come to this realization so many times lol. And I also just said to myself the same exact thing today. I could be happy with the Ca-1a and one other contrasting headphone only (maybe the Susvara or TC, or similar), at a fraction of the cost of all my gear and be happy lol. It's just never that simple haha.

As far as stats, you may want to see if you can find an IESL transformer (or similar) to use one of your speaker amps as a low cost entry to stats. But totally get it, for just one headphone it's a really hard sell.

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #6,785 of 7,847
Jun 6, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #6,786 of 7,847
Me too, well except there’ll be 2 amps and 3 HPs instead 😁
Oh, yea yea, totally. Just three amps and you know two DHT DACs and a couple headphones. 🤣

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #6,787 of 7,847
Jun 6, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #6,788 of 7,847
Jun 6, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #6,789 of 7,847
I was thinking DHT uberamp2 for TC and SR1a. Could kill a bird. Lots of heroics though.

Buy a used amp with some decent parts and gut it yourself... 😉

Avoid anything with a slim case because if you want serious caps they just won't fit!

20230518_235205.jpg

😊

Jun 6, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #6,790 of 7,847
I was thinking DHT uberamp2 for TC and SR1a. Could kill a bird. Lots of heroics though.
Well...I was thinking the same. I bought the Aries Cerat Genus, which is a 25W 845 SET (and actually a proper headphone amp). It drives the Abyss to high heavens. The SR1b...the VM-1a was better (but it was too noisy for me). I use the TI-1b transformer, not the tube friendly TI-1c, but I have here 25W. I don't know if it would make a difference.

On the other side I have here a hungarian hybrid amp (tube+FET) which has about 9W to 8 Ohms and it drives probably the TI-1b a tad better then the big Cerat. Or at least as good. I am thinkg now, that while it is possible to drive the interface transformator from the output transformator of a tube amp, maybe a solid state (or hybrid) solution is somehow better. Again, no experience with the TI-1c. Just my two cents.

Jun 6, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #6,791 of 7,847
Well...I was thinking the same. I bought the Aries Cerat Genus, which is a 25W 845 SET (and actually a proper headphone amp). It drives the Abyss to high heavens. The SR1b...the VM-1a was better (but it was too noisy for me). I use the TI-1b transformer, not the tube friendly TI-1c, but I have here 25W. I don't know if it would make a difference.

On the other side I have here a hungarian hybrid amp (tube+FET) which has about 9W to 8 Ohms and it drives probably the TI-1b a tad better then the big Cerat. Or at least as good. I am thinkg now, that while it is possible to drive the interface transformator from the output transformator of a tube amp, maybe a solid state (or hybrid) solution is somehow better. Again, no experience with the TI-1c. Just my two cents.
Yea, I've used my Pass Xs 300 with the interface with stunning results. The problem there is exceptional heat. If you hear the Uberamp2, you'll understand how great it is even with ever-looming thoughts of DHT-ifying the whole chain. I've thought for a while an exotic interface with high quality transformers could trump everything, however,
I haven't ventured due to some lack of motivation being happy where I am and longer lead-times extending projects out to a year.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #6,792 of 7,847
It'll likely be an uberuberamp. Very interested if the project is successful.

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #6,793 of 7,847
It'll likely be an uberuberamp. Very interested if the project is successful.
As exciting as the Circlotron and it's hard to excite me much anymore.

Jun 8, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #6,795 of 7,847
I heartily endorse the above.

Despite that I bought the WA5 to drive the sr1b and it simply wouldn't do it they backed me to the hilt and helped me find a superb solution.

Five star service ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Users who are viewing this thread

Back