Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 9, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #6,797 of 7,885
I joined the club :)

Lots of tests ongoing but I can confirm the synergy with the AIC-10 through the TI-1c interface is very good.
More impressions later on.

Congratulatios to @Aleksandar R. and team for developing these amazing headphones. Also, great customer support!

IMG_1437.jpg

Jun 9, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #6,798 of 7,885
As someone who didn't follow this thread for a while I was wondering what's the difference between the
TI-1b and TI-1c?

The official Website only shows the 1b version

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #6,799 of 7,885
As someone who didn't follow this thread for a while I was wondering what's the difference between the
TI-1b and TI-1c?

The choice among a b or c version depend on the power output of your amplifier. The c version is recommended for low power at 4 or 8 ohm, there are two different input plug in the box. the AIC-10 delivers 10W at 8ohm so that was the best choice according to Alex.
With low volume orchestral music - and applying filters who subtract volume - I cannot really go above 12h on average. Plenty of headroom.
I recommend you check your specs first

Jun 9, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #6,800 of 7,885
TI-1b and TI-1c?

TI-1a/b has 16 and 32 ohm inputs, best suited for headphone amps or high(er) powered solid state amps.
TI-1c has 4 and 8 ohms inputs, best suited for tube power amps (which need to be driven at 4 or 8 ohms), or lower power speaker amps in general.

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #6,802 of 7,885
Can you use the baffle compensation for the SR1a and TL-1b if you use an integrated amp? I have a modded PeachTree GAN1 (by tweakaudio.com) and it is spectacular on my Magenpan LRS+ speakers and almost as good as the VM-1a on the CA-1a + Tl-1b. However, it only works with the CA-1a and not the SR1a because of baffle compensation issue. It is a DAC, preamp, and amp (but not an integrated amp). The limitation on the GAN1 is that it is hard to add a sub and analog sources are not supported. I am thinking of adding a normal integrated amp to hook up my sources and the sub. This would also have dual duty to play with the SR1a and CA-1a, though I think I will run into the same issue of applying the baffle compensation for the Tl-1b.

I am selling my VM-1a to raise cash for a streaming integrated amp, or if the baffle compensation is not possible with the integrated and Tl-1b, I will get a 2-channel amp. I have a Holo Audio Serene preamp standing by and need a DAC if I go the separate 2-channel amp route. An amp with both A+B zones with a lot of power would be a good choice so I can use my LRS+ and the RAAL phones easily with the Tl-1b. Something like the Luxman 509x integrated amp which has dual zones, though not the unit I want to get.

I want to focus on my 2-channel setup and leverage that for the SR1a and CA-1a. The Peachtree GAN1 is excellent with the CA-1a and Magnepan LRS+ speaker. I need an amp or integrated amp for the SR1a and my Magnepan LRS+ speakers. I will alternate the speaker cables between the GAN1 and another amp. It will be sort of like my VM-1a setup but not as good on the phones but very close, and spectacular on the LRS+.

I am thinking of buying again the KRELL K-300i integrated amp which was amongst the top 3 with the SR1a and the old RAAL amp adapter. If the integrated amp path does not work, then the amps I have in mind for the Magnepan LRS+ and SR1a (with Holo Serene preamp) are:

- used KRELL Duo 300XD (I sold a Duo 175XD and it was the best amp with the old RAAL amp adapter).
- used SPL M1000 mono blocks
- CODA #8 (I had this before and it was good with the SR1a)
- an amp with dual zones and a lot of power

I have a CODA #16 in my Livingroom, and it was great with both the LRS+ and the SR1a + CA-1a via the Tl-1b. It approached the level of the VM-1a but not matched it.

BTW - if anyone wants an old RAAL adapter box, send me a message and I can give to away as long as you pay for shipping. I have 2 of them.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #6,803 of 7,885
@number1sixerfan curious how you find the SR1A/CA-1A compared to say X9000 out of T2 , and to each other.

I just happened to have an extended session with the SGL and CA-1a just yesterday. And again today. Listened to the Sr1a earlier in the week as well. No longer have the x9000, and have been back and forth on whether to trade something out for it again for a few reasons.

The first thing I would say is the price differences have to be acknowledged. Even compared to the x9000, the raal headphones are significantly cheaper. That said, I find the Sr1a and CA-1a to both be very close to the x9000's performance.

With the Sr1a's openness it pretty much rivals the x9000, with for me, better placement of the instruments and vocals and a bit more energy--oh and a wider soundstage with the out of head experience. The x9000 in comparison has a bit of a recession in the midrange and it is very laid back, even more so than the Susvara imo. But technically, the x9000 does things that most headphones simply cannot do--the spaciousness, the detail and resolution, the separation, all just extremely top tier. Same for the Sr1a. I have them equal except for bass, which the x9000's overall presentation is a bit better. Not by much.

With the CA-1a, it's great with the technicals just like the Sr1a and rivals the x9000 for the same reasons, but the x9000 is a bit more open and spacious, which makes a difference. Bass wise, from what I can remember, the CA-1a seems to have a bit better punch and about the same perceived quantity and presence.

All of that said, I'd be torn over the three, as the laid back nature of the x9000 was a major issue for me, although again, I really enjoyed them a lot still. I think both the Raal headphones have better presentations, and all three are generally close, but technically I'd maybe rank the x9000 just one hair higher. The SGL Sr. is a bit of a jump imo from all three, but that's at a $10k price difference between the Sr1a and CA-1a. I think that makes a really strong business case for going with either Raal, building a chain for it and retiring from the hobby lol

Jun 10, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #6,804 of 7,885
I just happened to have an extended session with the SGL and CA-1a just yesterday. And again today. Listened to the Sr1a earlier in the week as well. No longer have the x9000, and have been back and forth on whether to trade something out for it again for a few reasons.

The first thing I would say is the price differences have to be acknowledged. Even compared to the x9000, the raal headphones are significantly cheaper. That said, I find the Sr1a and CA-1a to both be very close to the x9000's performance.

With the Sr1a's openness it pretty much rivals the x9000, with for me, better placement of the instruments and vocals and a bit more energy--oh and a wider soundstage with the out of head experience. The x9000 in comparison has a bit of a recession in the midrange and it is very laid back, even more so than the Susvara imo. But technically, the x9000 does things that most headphones simply cannot do--the spaciousness, the detail and resolution, the separation, all just extremely top tier. Same for the Sr1a. I have them equal except for bass, which the x9000's overall presentation is a bit better. Not by much.

With the CA-1a, it's great with the technicals just like the Sr1a and rivals the x9000 for the same reasons, but the x9000 is a bit more open and spacious, which makes a difference. Bass wise, from what I can remember, the CA-1a seems to have a bit better punch and about the same perceived quantity and presence.

All of that said, I'd be torn over the three, as the laid back nature of the x9000 was a major issue for me, although again, I really enjoyed them a lot still. I think both the Raal headphones have better presentations, and all three are generally close, but technically I'd maybe rank the x9000 just one hair higher. The SGL Sr. is a bit of a jump imo from all three, but that's at a $10k price difference between the Sr1a and CA-1a. I think that makes a really strong business case for going with either Raal, building a chain for it and retiring from the hobby lol
Just for clarity, did you use the Star 8 and Mitch's filters especially? :p

Jun 10, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #6,805 of 7,885
Just for clarity, did you use the Star 8 and Mitch's filters especially? :p

Using the Star 8 cable. Purposely not using the filters for a while to get a full grapple on the house sound first. But I will definitely, eventually try them. :)

Jun 10, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #6,806 of 7,885
I have found the Mitch filters, including the latest ones with open baffle compensation, to be an improvement, but evolutionary and not revolutionary. I don't think they will tip the balance between the RAAL phones and any others.

Jun 10, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #6,807 of 7,885
Using the Star 8 cable. Purposely not using the filters for a while to get a full grapple on the house sound first. But I will definitely, eventually try them. :)
With the Ca-1A at least, it changes pretty much everything imo. So much so that I would get the SGL measured by him and have him create filters for it lol.

Jun 10, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #6,808 of 7,885
I have found the Mitch filters, including the latest ones with open baffle compensation, to be an improvement, but evolutionary and not revolutionary. I don't think they will tip the balance between the RAAL phones and any others.

That's what I anticipated but will definitely check it out. It's interesting that there seems to be strong consensus that they actually improve the sound.

Generally speaking, my experience has been that as long as you have a capable system for whatever headphones you're powering, most component changes (although EQ isn't technically a component I guess), most changes are small incremental changes, although we talk about them often as if they are revolutionary lol. It's part of the hobby lol, but important to acknowledge. But the other thing is.. a small change for one person could be a massive one to someone else.

With the Ca-1A at least, it changes pretty much everything imo. So much so that I would get the SGL measured by him and have him create filters for it lol.

I saw that others were asking him about it lol. I do see very strong consensus for his filters, and consensus is very important to me. Will report back when I try them. Probably in another week!

Jun 10, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #6,809 of 7,885
Also @adrianm, not sure if you saw my post from earlier, but thoughts on the Stealth and CA-1a?? Still very interested in hearing them.

The Expanse and CA-1a share a lot of qualities, in a very good way. I think the CA-1a is a bit more complete however, it's a bit more spacious and has an overall bit better bass presentation to my ears--not by much, but enough to matter, particularly w/regard to impact.

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #6,810 of 7,885
Definitely will share. I think both are a bit redundant, BUT, the Sr1a (haven't heard the B) does have that out of head and out of body soundstaging which is just really unique and a must listen at some point. Now that you've had the Ca-1a for a while, are you still planning to keep your Stealth? I know you really liked it. I was trying to decide between it and the Ca-1a, but the pricing made the Raal simply too hard to pass up. I have to say, they are VERY good. Without question, that much was apparent to me immediately.
Sorry, I missed this post. Crazy week. Yes, I'm still keeping the Stealth, purely because I need a closed back. With the filters in place, I much prefer the Ca-1a. They add even more space, separation, clarity. Without the filters, I prefer the Stealth.
I also add around 1.5 db at 100 hz on top of the filters, but it's still doesn't reach Stealth level bass, which i find too much at times. All that said, out of all the headphones I have, the Stealth are the only ones that hold their own and don't feel like a big downgrade when I switch over from the Ca-1a. Next week i'll also have the Yamaha here to compare against them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back