Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
May 31, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #6,766 of 7,885
52939986044_0301af2169_k.jpg

Bought a NOS Mullard ECC35 from Dale at vacuumtubes. It was my favourite driver tube when I had the WA22, and I am definitely enjoying it with the VM-1a. it definitely has more gain; volume knob is 3 clicks down from my usual listening level with the black glass Ken Rad VT-231. love the mids and upper mids on this tube!

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #6,767 of 7,885
52939986044_0301af2169_k.jpg

Bought a NOS Mullard ECC35 from Dale at vacuumtubes. It was my favourite driver tube when I had the WA22, and I am definitely enjoying it with the VM-1a. it definitely has more gain; volume knob is 3 clicks down from my usual listening level with the black glass Ken Rad VT-231. love the mids and upper mids on this tube!
Yes, it has more gain since it's 6SL7 equivalent. The VT-231 on the other hand is 6SN7 equivalent which has less gain than 6SL7.

Perhaps you can also try the legendary short brown base tall glass Mullard ECC35. But this has become a rare gem nowadays and I was lucky enough to have found a pair.

Jun 4, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #6,768 of 7,885
At that point, a X9000 + Carbon CC might make more sense to me, while keeping the CA-1A with the Ti-1b on the Hm1. Main draw to ribbons vs Estats was the interface to me personally.
Carbon just isn't a good match to keep up with something like VM and CA-1a. Switching over to the 845 or 300B with either is compelling, and at that point, you're looking at the DIY T2 which has a proven record. However you are helpless to the allure of ER-845 and 300B comparisons.

Jun 4, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #6,769 of 7,885
Carbon just isn't a good match to keep up with something like VM and CA-1a. Switching over to the 845 or 300B with either is compelling, and at that point, you're looking at the DIY T2 which has a proven record. However you are helpless to the allure of ER-845 and 300B comparisons.
Tubes aren't really appealing to me for several reasons (heat, convenience, reliability). I've only heard the Primavera with the Susvara, my Stealth and D8k Pro Le, but I would take my Oor over it. Granted it was ran by a Wavedream signature balanced (in Nos mode) and i'm running my Oor out of the Rossini, but I much preferred all of the above on my setup. Bigger soundstage, better clarity, better layering, way better dynamics. Don't get why Nos, don't get why tubes atm.

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #6,772 of 7,885
I guess Rossini source equally well the d8kpro the Meze Elite nad the DCA stealth ,
Susvara is not your equipment if I read correctly , then wonder which on is your favorite since you are selling the Elite

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #6,773 of 7,885
I guess Rossini source equally well the d8kpro the Meze Elite nad the DCA stealth ,
Susvara is not your equipment if I read correctly , then wonder which on is your favorite since you are selling the Elite
Yeah, the Rossini is pretty much as neutral as i've heard, while not sounding sterile. Had the Susvara in for like 4 home demos so far, I can see why people like it, but it's not for me. Was thinking the Primavera might transform it somehow, since that friend owns it as well, but I found it slammed harder on my system (which was my biggest gripe with it).
Right now, I find D8k Pro LE (sending it back to the dealer) slightly more to my liking than the Elites due to them having a bigger soundstage and a more neutral signature. Elite still seems to have slightly "richer tones" if that makes sense. I'd call it almost a wash at this point.
Stealth I consider better than both, even though the soundstage is smaller, clarity and layering are on a slightly higher level compared to them. Not to mention the tonality is the best i've heard out of the box. They're staying because I need a closed back.
They would still be my favorite if the Ca-1A had not arrived, which, with the Star 8 and Mitch's filters especially, make everything else i've heard obsolete. They're just on another level, and the delta between Stealth and them is bigger than the delta between any of the others.
I have a Yamaha coming in for a demo this week since they are so polarizing. Will see if they earn a spot besides the Stealth and Ca-1A. If not, I'm not really considering any other headphones besides the SR1B.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #6,774 of 7,885
Thanks for the write up.

The Ca-1A needs transformer box to run , mandatory?

YH5000 : let us know about them. I've read different opinions so I still wait more consensus about them.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #6,775 of 7,885
Thanks for the write up.

The Ca-1A needs transformer box to run , mandatory?
If you intend to use a HP amp to drive the CA-1a or SR-1b, yes. :) Unless you get a direct drive amplifier for the ribbon HPs, like the SAEQ HSA-1c or the Schitt Jotunheim R or the VM-1a

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #6,777 of 7,885
Got a replacement for my T1c box, along with a new IC. Both channels now working as expected. I ended up getting the T1a instead of a T1c, which I think was due to timing--my dealer mentioned that there was a few week wait for a same unit replacement I believe. With the T1c, it still seemed like there wasn't much headroom left, so I don't know how much of a performance difference there is between it and the T1a. But in any event, the EC isn't going to cut it without dialing up the volume on my DAC.

So I'm using my Hegel H120 integrated speaker amp and there's more than enough juice. I'm not sure if it's worth eventually trying to swap the T1a for the T1c, but with the speaker amp the CA-1a sounds really, really good. Clarity stands out, with more complete bass than the Sr1a (not by much) and with a bit less staging space (which was expected). Impressed by the timbre as well.

I think all around, Raal's products are damn near bargains, which you don't see in the TOTL space at all. The Sr1a and CA-1a both punch above their price points. After a bit more time I'll test out 1) the Star 8 cable vs. stock; and 2) using the EC 300b as a preamp to see how things sound. Thanks to Raal for working with my dealer and I to get things swapped out so quickly.

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #6,778 of 7,885
in other words not remotely portable but even not particularly transportable on need
Yeah, no. I do plan on traveling with the Ca-1A,Ti-1B, Zahl Hm1 and am currently looking into a good trans(portable) streaming dac that won't make me sad when I switch to it from the Rossini. I might make due with a Cayin Dap, but it's a huge hassle anyway. This is one of the reasons i'm considering adding a Yamaha + Mojo and calling it a day. I could also end up keeping my Elite for this. Both Stealth and Ca-1a require a lot of power.
I'm not sure if it's worth eventually trying to swap the T1a for the T1c, but with the speaker amp the CA-1a sounds really, really good. Clarity stands out, with more complete bass than the Sr1a (not by much) and with a bit less staging space (which was expected). Impressed by the timbre as well.
Look forward to more impressions, trying to see if it's worth adding an SR1B with the T1B interface in addition to the Ca-1a. So far it's kind of what I expected :)

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #6,779 of 7,885
Look forward to more impressions, trying to see if it's worth adding an SR1B with the T1B interface in addition to the Ca-1a. So far it's kind of what I expected :)

Definitely will share. I think both are a bit redundant, BUT, the Sr1a (haven't heard the B) does have that out of head and out of body soundstaging which is just really unique and a must listen at some point. Now that you've had the Ca-1a for a while, are you still planning to keep your Stealth? I know you really liked it. I was trying to decide between it and the Ca-1a, but the pricing made the Raal simply too hard to pass up. I have to say, they are VERY good. Without question, that much was apparent to me immediately.

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #6,780 of 7,885
Got a replacement for my T1c box, along with a new IC. Both channels now working as expected. I ended up getting the T1a instead of a T1c, which I think was due to timing--my dealer mentioned that there was a few week wait for a same unit replacement I believe. With the T1c, it still seemed like there wasn't much headroom left, so I don't know how much of a performance difference there is between it and the T1a. But in any event, the EC isn't going to cut it without dialing up the volume on my DAC.

So I'm using my Hegel H120 integrated speaker amp and there's more than enough juice. I'm not sure if it's worth eventually trying to swap the T1a for the T1c, but with the speaker amp the CA-1a sounds really, really good. Clarity stands out, with more complete bass than the Sr1a (not by much) and with a bit less staging space (which was expected). Impressed by the timbre as well.

I think all around, Raal's products are damn near bargains, which you don't see in the TOTL space at all. The Sr1a and CA-1a both punch above their price points. After a bit more time I'll test out 1) the Star 8 cable vs. stock; and 2) using the EC 300b as a preamp to see how things sound. Thanks to Raal for working with my dealer and I to get things swapped out so quickly.
Don’t forget to use Mitch filters as well. As for the bass, I do find it to have quite a margin compared to SR1a, but I haven’t tried the updated SR1a filters. My favorite track to compare the bass is “Mira” from Melody Gardot’s Live in Europe album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back