Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
May 24, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #6,736 of 7,888
It's a bit hard keeping up with all of the product changes. The site lists the 1b only right? Is the 1c a new version after?

Does anyone know if that's the version shipping by default now? I'm not too worried about differences between the two versions much, but having just placed an order, would prefer whatever is most recent/optimal from out of the gate.
The TI-1c is 8/4 Ohms interface and the default TI-1b is the 32/16 Ohms.

The headphones require about 6W (at whatever impedance the amp is comfortable working with).

If your amp makes 6W at 32 Ohms or 16 Ohms, use the B version.

If your amp is a (up to) 6W tube amp that has 8/4 Ohms outputs, you will develop half the needed power (and the amp won't work optimally) if you use the B version at 16 Ohms, so in such cases, the C version is recommended, as that matches the load that amp expects to "see".

So, with two available interfaces, you can choose the loading for your amp of 4, 8, 16 and 32 Ohms.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
May 24, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #6,737 of 7,888

The headphones require about 6W (at whatever impedance the amp is comfortable working with).

If your amp is a (up to) 6W tube amp that has 8/4 Ohms outputs, you will develop half the needed power (and the amp won't work optimally) if you use the B version at 16 Ohms, so in such cases, the C version is recommended, as that matches the load that amp expects to "see".

So, with two available interfaces, you can choose the loading for your amp of 4, 8, 16 and 32 Ohms.
Way more succinct than my futile attempts. Much obliged.

May 24, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #6,738 of 7,888

Just for clarity, 6w peaks, correct? Because the distinction matters in the case of something like the Zaehl Hm1 :

1684937933042.png

May 24, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #6,739 of 7,888
Just for clarity, 6w peaks, correct? Because the distinction matters in the case of something like the Zaehl Hm1 :

1684937933042.png
The TI-box and the headphones won't shy away from such peak power, but in any case, I would use the B version with Zahl and test on both 32 and 16 ohms.
Nothing will happen to the TI box or headphones. 20-30ms peaks that are 2-3dB higher than RMS won't hurt anything.

May 24, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #6,740 of 7,888

Edit --- I just got my package today and hadn't realized that the T1c is actually included with my Raal, which maybe my dealer had already accounted for. Either way, looks like I have what will work best with my amp. Again thanks for the explanation!

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #6,741 of 7,888
Screenshot_20230525_193631_Roon.jpg

Hey guys, try out this album with the sr1b and ca1a. I think it sounds great on both, but more so with the ca1a.

May 25, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #6,742 of 7,888
Behold the Hyperion Ge from SAEQ, the makers of HSA-1c.

I recalled that @Aleksandar R. liked the Hyperion Ge with the TI-1b. I am only an hour or so into the amp which I have with me, thanks to Wilson of Jaben Singapore. I will say that I am suitably impressed. It is so refined and organic. More fun over the weekend. :)

IMG_6881.jpeg
IMG_6885.jpeg

May 25, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #6,743 of 7,888
I am happy to have the TI1c in for photography with a bunch of other goodies from Raal. (I've been doing the photography for their website).

I want to share some early impressions about the box with the very modest $300 Schiit Gjallarhorn amplifier because I think it gives early indication this new box will be a fantastic addition to the amplification options for Raal. I have sold all of my conventional headphone amplifiers now outside the RME ADI pictured, so I was unable to get a good listen to the TI1b when I had it here to photograph. But I was very excited to try the c box with the new little Schiit amp which I use for my desktop speakers.

I am happy to report that the combination sounds every bit as good as the Jotunheim R, IMO. And with plenty of reserve power. If anything, it is slightly more incisive than the Jot R, all things being as equal as I can make them. That could also translate as the JotR is warmer. I am using the new Star 8 interconnect cables in both cases, RME to the JotR via XLR, and Star8 RCA to the Schiit. In case you wonder, I am also using Mitch's NEW SR1b filters, neutral with bass. I got consistent impressions also with the OB compensators.

It also occurred to me this could turn a streaming amplifier into a Raal station, so tried it with my Bluesound Powernode. It sounded very good also but with a very elevated noise floor. I had tried this combo with the TI1b box, and it both sounded terrible and had a noise floor. Here the pairing is better but the noise floor is for my purposes too high. Sad for me because it would have made the perfect bedside system. But I imagine with more and more streaming amps coming out all of the time, there will be some that have better results. The power and sound quality were definitely there.

I know a lot of us fans applaud the continued innovation at Raal to lower the barrier to entry. I would encourage folks with appropriate tube speaker amps etc to give this a try. It is nice to know now with the sold out JotR, there are two affordable ways to adapt conventional equipment to the SR and CA.

Happy listening.

1685051074720.png

1685051154141.png

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #6,744 of 7,888
So I have an issue with my T1c, the left channel isn't outputting music. Currently working through my dealer. Was originally hoping it was an issue with the headphone cables, and Raal very promptly sent a replacement (thanks Raal).

I just tried the Ca-1a with my old Raal speaker amp interface and speaker amp got sound from both channels, confirming it's an issue with the T1c. My question here is, is there any risk in running the Ca-1a w/the old raal speaker interface until I get a replacement for the T1c? I know it has the baffle compensation for the Sr1a and isn't optimal, but would it run any risk to the Ca-1a in the meantime over the weekend? Also if it is safe, any insight on how it impacts the sound would be helpful as well to level set expectations. :)

May 26, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #6,745 of 7,888
So I have an issue with my T1c, the left channel isn't outputting music. Currently working through my dealer. Was originally hoping it was an issue with the headphone cables, and Raal very promptly sent a replacement (thanks Raal).

I just tried the Ca-1a with my old Raal speaker amp interface and speaker amp got sound from both channels, confirming it's an issue with the T1c. My question here is, is there any risk in running the Ca-1a w/the old raal speaker interface until I get a replacement for the T1c? I know it has the baffle compensation for the Sr1a and isn't optimal, but would it run any risk to the Ca-1a in the meantime over the weekend? Also if it is safe, any insight on how it impacts the sound would be helpful as well to level set expectations. :)
Sorry to hear about the troble, but I doubt it's the TI box at fault.
Wirh certainty, now we know that it's not the headphone cable.
You got the IRI-BAN cable with it, right?
Have you triied swapping channels at the input of TI -1c?

Cheers,
Alex

May 26, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #6,746 of 7,888
Sorry to hear about the troble, but I doubt it's the TI box at fault.
Wirh certainty, now we know that it's not the headphone cable.
You got the IRI-BAN cable with it, right?
Have you triied swapping channels at the input of TI -1c?

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks for the response. And no worries at all, and thanks for the help. I have the IT-XLR cable, but I do have my own speaker tap/XLR cable that I tested with my speaker amp (before moving to the old sr1a interface box) and had the same channel issue as with my EC Studio B. I'll try again and swap the channels just to check.

May 26, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #6,747 of 7,888
Thanks for the response. And no worries at all, and thanks for the help. I have the IT-XLR cable, but I do have my own speaker tap/XLR cable that I tested with my speaker amp (before moving to the old sr1a interface box) and had the same channel issue as with my EC Studio B. I'll try again and swap the channels just to check.
You're very welcome!
Yes, please check all the iterations wirh the input cables as it may not be necessary to ship the TI back and forth and there may be a much quicker solution.
Sorry that I forgot to reply to your question. Everything is safe if you listen via the resistor interface, except that the tone balance will be wrong.
Cheers,
Alex

May 26, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #6,748 of 7,888
You're very welcome!
Yes, please check all the iterations wirh the input cables as it may not be necessary to ship the TI back and forth and there may be a much quicker solution.
Sorry that I forgot to reply to your question. Everything is safe if you listen via the resistor interface, except that the tone balance will be wrong.
Cheers,
Alex

Will do and I'll reply back via PM. And thanks for confirming on the old interface box!

May 26, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #6,749 of 7,888
Will do and I'll reply back via PM. And thanks for confirming on the old interface box!

If using Roon or the like, you can use digital EQ to counteract the compensation inside the interface box. Like below. At least the tonality would be much improved until you get things sorted.

Attachments

• compensation1.png
    compensation1.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
May 26, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #6,750 of 7,888
If using Roon or the like, you can use digital EQ to counteract the compensation inside the interface box. Like below. At least the tonality would be much improved until you get things sorted.

Thank you! Very helpful. Will try this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back