Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 10, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #6,811 of 7,885
Also @adrianm, not sure if you saw my post from earlier, but thoughts on the Stealth and CA-1a?? Still very interested in hearing them.

The Expanse and CA-1a share a lot of qualities, in a very good way. I think the CA-1a is a bit more complete however, it's a bit more spacious and has an overall bit better bass presentation to my ears--not by much, but enough to matter, particularly w/regard to impact.
I am very curious to hear your impressions when you do get the filters, and how much of a gap there still is with the SGL and T2. That's the last nagging thought I have, if I really want to go down that ES road at some point.
My only gripe with the Ca-1a and Stealth as a duo atm is that they both require so much power. I often work from another location and would love to have a decent sounding transportable solution for the Stealth. I might just end up just getting a streaming dac for the other location and traveling with the HM1 and Stealth though.

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #6,812 of 7,885
I saw that others were asking him about it lol. I do see very strong consensus for his filters, and consensus is very important to me. Will report back when I try them. Probably in another week!
Do it now 😁 the effect of the filters is more pronounced with CA1a as opposed to SR1a/b, and really is transformative 👌🏼

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #6,814 of 7,885
Sorry, I missed this post. Crazy week. Yes, I'm still keeping the Stealth, purely because I need a closed back. With the filters in place, I much prefer the Ca-1a. They add even more space, separation, clarity. Without the filters, I prefer the Stealth.
I also add around 1.5 db at 100 hz on top of the filters, but it's still doesn't reach Stealth level bass, which i find too much at times. All that said, out of all the headphones I have, the Stealth are the only ones that hold their own and don't feel like a big downgrade when I switch over from the Ca-1a. Next week i'll also have the Yamaha here to compare against them.

No worries at all. I'm late on here with things all the time, especially in PMs lol. We are all living life. Very helpful insight, sounds like I still need to track down hearing the Stealth. :)

I am very curious to hear your impressions when you do get the filters, and how much of a gap there still is with the SGL and T2. That's the last nagging thought I have, if I really want to go down that ES road at some point.
My only gripe with the Ca-1a and Stealth as a duo atm is that they both require so much power. I often work from another location and would love to have a decent sounding transportable solution for the Stealth. I might just end up just getting a streaming dac for the other location and traveling with the HM1 and Stealth though.

I am 100% positive that the filters won't change my opinion vs. the SGL Sr. lol. For one simple reason, and that's the stator size, which I believe is fully the driver of it's "bigger than life" sound. The Sr. simply has a larger sound than anything I've compared it against. Vocals are more present and bigger, overall spacing is more apparent, etc. The Sr1a and x9000 have come the closest in this regard, but still just not on the same page. Filters aren't going to change this or close the gap much, I don't anticipate.

BUT. I do totally hear you and everyone else. I absolutely will be trying the filters and expect a nice lift. The question for me right now is.. is the CA-1a overall more preferable to the Sr1a, and that's a really interesting question, which may flip either way.

Do it now 😁 the effect of the filters is more pronounced with CA1a as opposed to SR1a/b, and really is transformative 👌🏼

Lol. Fine. You all win. I'll do it this week LOL

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #6,815 of 7,885
Can you use the baffle compensation for the SR1a and TL-1b if you use an integrated amp? I have a modded PeachTree GAN1 (by tweakaudio.com) and it is spectacular on my Magenpan LRS+ speakers and almost as good as the VM-1a on the CA-1a + Tl-1b. However, it only works with the CA-1a and not the SR1a because of baffle compensation issue. It is a DAC, preamp, and amp (but not an integrated amp). The limitation on the GAN1 is that it is hard to add a sub and analog sources are not supported. I am thinking of adding a normal integrated amp to hook up my sources and the sub. This would also have dual duty to play with the SR1a and CA-1a, though I think I will run into the same issue of applying the baffle compensation for the Tl-1b.

I am selling my VM-1a to raise cash for a streaming integrated amp, or if the baffle compensation is not possible with the integrated and Tl-1b, I will get a 2-channel amp. I have a Holo Audio Serene preamp standing by and need a DAC if I go the separate 2-channel amp route. An amp with both A+B zones with a lot of power would be a good choice so I can use my LRS+ and the RAAL phones easily with the Tl-1b. Something like the Luxman 509x integrated amp which has dual zones, though not the unit I want to get.

I want to focus on my 2-channel setup and leverage that for the SR1a and CA-1a. The Peachtree GAN1 is excellent with the CA-1a and Magnepan LRS+ speaker. I need an amp or integrated amp for the SR1a and my Magnepan LRS+ speakers. I will alternate the speaker cables between the GAN1 and another amp. It will be sort of like my VM-1a setup but not as good on the phones but very close, and spectacular on the LRS+.

I am thinking of buying again the KRELL K-300i integrated amp which was amongst the top 3 with the SR1a and the old RAAL amp adapter. If the integrated amp path does not work, then the amps I have in mind for the Magnepan LRS+ and SR1a (with Holo Serene preamp) are:

- used KRELL Duo 300XD (I sold a Duo 175XD and it was the best amp with the old RAAL amp adapter).
- used SPL M1000 mono blocks
- CODA #8 (I had this before and it was good with the SR1a)
- an amp with dual zones and a lot of power

I have a CODA #16 in my Livingroom, and it was great with both the LRS+ and the SR1a + CA-1a via the Tl-1b. It approached the level of the VM-1a but not matched it.

BTW - if anyone wants an old RAAL adapter box, send me a message and I can give to away as long as you pay for shipping. I have 2 of them.
Ever considered the Schiit Jotunheim R (or A):
https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks
Changes the Raals into an integrated system at currently very low cost, specially if you have the DAC option installed.

The Jotunheim R has a slightly more bodily experience than the interface box on a very good amp here.
I think this is linked to it’s slightly stronger baffle compensation, together with it’s sheer power/current capability of 13 Ampere, equaling a speaker amp with 676 W / 4 Ohm, or 1352 W into 8 Ohm!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #6,816 of 7,885
Changes the Raals into an integrated system at currently very low cost, specially if you have the DAC option installed.

The Jotunheim R has a slightly more bodily experience than the interface box on a very good amp here.
I think this is linked to it’s slightly stronger baffle compensation, together with it’s sheer power/current capability of 13 Ampere, equaling a speaker amp with 676 W / 4 Ohm, or 1352 W into 8 Ohm!
Agree. And the Jot R has a pretty small footprint. I know a good friend who has it on his office desk. Gives you a sense of how compact the form factor is. I have one with the multibit DAC card. It makes for a nice change of pace when I use it in conjunction with the iFi Zen Stream or iFi NEO Stream. :)

Jun 10, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #6,817 of 7,885
I have found the Mitch filters, including the latest ones with open baffle compensation, to be an improvement, but evolutionary and not revolutionary. I don't think they will tip the balance between the RAAL phones and any others.
I disagree, the filters transformed both my Raal HP's.....I couldnt go back

Jun 10, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #6,818 of 7,885
I disagree, the filters transformed both my Raal HP's.....I couldnt go back
I think it will depend on what you are looking for in your RAAL HPs. :) I think each and every one of us enjoys them for different reasons and looks for different things. One thing I think we can all agree on is that they are spectacular!

Jun 10, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #6,819 of 7,885

I have the Schitt JR and hardly use it. It is the worst of my RAAL setups, and I have had a lot of RAAL setups,

- HSA-1b
- Schitt JR
- 10-12 2-channel amps with old interface box
- VM-1a
- CODA #16 | PeachTree GAN400 | PeachTree GAN1 (modded) | TL-1b adapter
- Mitch's old SR1a filters

The very best is the VM-1a with my Benchmark DAC3b or Lumin X1 DAC, both doing fibre optic streaming via ROON. I did not like the Musetec 005 DAC with the VM-1a (too smooth). Though that DAC was good on 2-channel.

The worst is the Schitt JR, though Danny has told me that the new Star8 cable makes the JR sound better. I have the Star8 but have never tried it with the JR.. I am only keeping the JR around since it is so cheap and a good backup.

My desire to change things up is because I finally found something that I like better than the RAAL phones. It is the Yamaha NS5000 speaker with my CODA #16 amp. It is better than the SR1a with the VM-1a. I am not a fan of headphones but love the 2 RAAL phones, and for the past 5 years nothing could beat the RAAL's in my mind, even 2-channel.

My $995 Magnepan LRS+ speaker in my small office is very much like the SR1a. You need good amplification to make them shine.

My ranking of my systems is as follows:

1. Yamaha NS5000 | CODA #16
2. SR1a | CA-1a| Star8 | VM-1a
3. Magnepan LRS+ with PeachTree GAN1 (modded)

I can make the Magnepan sound better and also be more useful (add my analog sources) with a different 2-channel amp (or integrated). I will sacrifice some headphone excellence by selling the VM-1a to improve the Magnepan sound. I listen to the Maggies 8 hours a day (M-F) and the RAALs about 3-5 hours in the evenings when I work some more.

I was thinking it over and I do not think an integrated amp will work with the TL-1b adapter. A 2-channel amp will be what I should get + another DAC since I only have 1 left.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #6,820 of 7,885
I have the Schitt JR and hardly use it. It is the worst of my RAAL setups, and I have had a lot of RAAL setups,

- HSA-1b
- Schitt JR
- 10-12 2-channel amps with old interface box
- VM-1a
- CODA #16 | PeachTree GAN400 | PeachTree GAN1 (modded) | TL-1b adapter
- Mitch's old SR1a filters

The very best is the VM-1a with my Benchmark DAC3b or Lumin X1 DAC, both doing fibre optic streaming via ROON. I did not like the Musetec 005 DAC with the VM-1a (too smooth). Though that DAC was good on 2-channel.

The worst is the Schitt JR, though Danny has told me that the new Star8 cable makes the JR sound better. I have the Star8 but have never tried it with the JR.. I am only keeping the JR around since it is so cheap and a good backup.

My desire to change things up is because I finally found something that I like better than the RAAL phones. It is the Yamaha NS5000 speaker with my CODA #16 amp. It is better than the SR1a with the VM-1a. I am not a fan of headphones but love the 2 RAAL phones, and for the past 5 years nothing could beat the RAAL's in my mind, even 2-channel.

My $995 Magnepan LRS+ speaker in my small office is very much like the SR1a. You need good amplification to make them shine.

My ranking of my systems is as follows:

1. Yamaha NS5000 | CODA #16
2. SR1a | CA-1a| Star8 | VM-1a
3. Magnepan LRS+ with PeachTree GAN1 (modded)

I can make the Magnepan sound better and also be more useful (add my analog sources) with a different 2-channel amp (or integrated). I will sacrifice some headphone excellence by selling the VM-1a to improve the Magnepan sound. I listen to the Maggies 8 hours a day (M-F) and the RAALs about 3-5 hours in the evenings when I work some more.

I was thinking it over and I do not think an integrated amp will work with the TL-1b adapter. A 2-channel amp will be what I should get + another DAC since I only have 1 left.
Turn off Jot R baffle compensation & use it as a power amp. I’m using tube preamp for volume control & Mitch’s new filters with baffle compensation for SR1A.

Jun 11, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #6,821 of 7,885
Turn off Jot R baffle compensation & use it as a power amp. I’m using tube preamp for volume control & Mitch’s new filters with baffle compensation for SR1A.
That is a rather interesting idea. I will do once I get another standalone DAC I have no DAC available in the office now. I have 2 great neutral preamps to try this with, the Benchmark LA4 and Holo Serene. I will use the Serene first since it is what I am using in the office. I will get Mitch's filter today. He created Convolution filters for my office 2-channel system a few years ago (no longer using filters). I bought the original SR1a filter and now the second version of the SR1a. A lot of money from me to him.

The modded Peachtree GAN1 is incredible on the CA-1a. It does not work on the SR1a because I am not able to add the XLR adapter for the Tl-1b for baffle compensation. It is an unusual piece of gear and I think the future of audio. Maybe Mitch's filter will also work with the GAN1 and SR1a and do baffle compensation. If it does then I catch a lucky break, because I think the modded GAN1 is incredible (not the stock unit).

Here is another company doing something similar to the GAN1. This unit supports analog inputs and volume. Mine does not and only has a SPDIF input and power cable slot. Though the same issue of adding the baffle compensation XLR or RCA adapters would occur with these "amps".
https://danielhertz.com/collections/amplifiers

If I can get the GAN1 to work with both the CA-1a and SR1a with Mitch's filters, I will have a unit with a DAC and amp built-in which sounds almost at the VM-1a level sound. That will also justify my need for another 2-channel amp to drive my Magenpan LRS+. Currently the GAN1 does that very nicely.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #6,822 of 7,885
Can someone give me some pointers on how to SAFELY remove the tubes from the VM-1a?

Jun 11, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #6,823 of 7,885
Can someone give me some pointers on how to SAFELY remove the tubes from the VM-1a?
The way I've always removed tubes is to make sure the amp has been powered down and is nice and cool. Then use a tissue to keep your skin oils off of the tube, and get over the top of the amp, grab the base of the tube and pull 'em straight up and out so you don't bend the pins.

Hope this helps.

Jun 11, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #6,824 of 7,885
actually danny of Raal told me to wiggle the tubes as you pull it out and it worked well for me

Jun 11, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #6,825 of 7,885
I've never been able to pull out any tubes directly upwards. or too chicken to pull hard enough. some gentle back and forth wriggling always works. I also don't use tissue to grasp the tubes.. didn't really bother about the oils on tube glass thing:upside_down:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Rdoc
Back