Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 12, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #6,826 of 7,888
That is a rather interesting idea. I will do once I get another standalone DAC I have no DAC available in the office now. I have 2 great neutral preamps to try this with, the Benchmark LA4 and Holo Serene. I will use the Serene first since it is what I am using in the office. I will get Mitch's filter today. He created Convolution filters for my office 2-channel system a few years ago (no longer using filters). I bought the original SR1a filter and now the second version of the SR1a. A lot of money from me to him.

The modded Peachtree GAN1 is incredible on the CA-1a. It does not work on the SR1a because I am not able to add the XLR adapter for the Tl-1b for baffle compensation. It is an unusual piece of gear and I think the future of audio. Maybe Mitch's filter will also work with the GAN1 and SR1a and do baffle compensation. If it does then I catch a lucky break, because I think the modded GAN1 is incredible (not the stock unit).

Here is another company doing something similar to the GAN1. This unit supports analog inputs and volume. Mine does not and only has a SPDIF input and power cable slot. Though the same issue of adding the baffle compensation XLR or RCA adapters would occur with these "amps".
https://danielhertz.com/collections/amplifiers

If I can get the GAN1 to work with both the CA-1a and SR1a with Mitch's filters, I will have a unit with a DAC and amp built-in which sounds almost at the VM-1a level sound. That will also justify my need for another 2-channel amp to drive my Magenpan LRS+. Currently the GAN1 does that very nicely.
The Peachtree GAN1 would be a candidate to use the original (resistor) RAAL AMP/RIBBON INTERFACE with the SR1a/b.
The Interface would care for the baffle compensation.

The Interface could stay connected permanently, with open-end cables screwed to the binding posts.
If the SR-1a/b is unplugged it doesn’t load the amp in any way.
Using bananas on the Magnepan’s cables, it would be sufficient to unplug one of the two each side (e.g. the blacks could stay) for quick switching speakers <> phones.

Of course, if your streamer is capable to use Mitch‘s filters, they could care for the baffle compensation, but according to your post it doesn‘t seem to be that simple.

Jun 12, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #6,827 of 7,888
The Peachtree GAN1 would be a candidate to use the original (resistor) RAAL AMP/RIBBON INTERFACE with the SR1a/b.
The Interface would care for the baffle compensation.

The Interface could stay connected permanently, with open-end cables screwed to the binding posts.
If the SR-1a/b is unplugged it doesn’t load the amp in any way.
Using bananas on the Magnepan’s cables, it would be sufficient to unplug one of the two each side (e.g. the blacks could stay) for quick switching speakers <> phones.

Of course, if your streamer is capable to use Mitch‘s filters, they could care for the baffle compensation, but according to your post it doesn‘t seem to be that simple.
The only problem of doing what you suggest is that he old interface box is not as good as the TL-1b. Now that I have heard the TL-1b I cannot use the old box. I have some nice Audience AU24 SX speaker cables on them too, but the TL-1b is much better.

I bought Mitch's second set of filters for the SR1a and tested them out today. I am not sure if I like it. At first listen it was not my cup of tea, but a second listen made me appreciate it them somewhat. However, I realized that it cannot compete with the VM-1a. Without the filters, my CODA #16 with the Tl-1b gets close to the VM-1a on the SR1a as does the GAN1 and TL-1b on the CA-1a.

I like the baffle compensation using the TL-1b adapter better for the SR1a. I am going to look at an amp like the CODA #16 but cheaper. There are a few amps that come to mind,
  • KRELL Duo 300XD ($6250 used locally available)
  • SPL M1000 monos ($5999 used)
  • Rotel Mitchi S5 ($5300 used)
  • Kinki Studio EX-M7 ($2800)
The KRELL is incredible with the SR1a and I am sure the Magnepans. I owned the KRELL Duo 175XD before I sold it to buy some other gear. It was the best 2-channel amp with the SR1a using the old interface box. I imagine it will be great with the TL-1b. Though I am almost certain that it is not as good as the VM-1a.

I am leaning towards getting the Kinki Studio at the lower cost and buying the OKTA DAC8 Stereo ($1500) which has dual XLR outputs. This could be used for my preamp and the RAAL VM-1a at the same time (no cable swapping needed). If I go this way, it means I keep the VM-1a.

https://www.oktoresearch.com/dac8stereo.htm

If I do this, I MAY take a slight performance hit with the Magnepan, compared to the other amps, but I would without a doubt have the best sound for the SR1a and CA-1a. Though people do say the Kinki is a excellent amp.

I will think this over this week.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #6,828 of 7,888
If anyone happens to try the Holo Audio Bliss amplifier with the SR1a/b, I’d love to hear your impressions. Even better if you could compare to the VM-1a.

I’m especially curious about the sense of volume (often described as holographic) that most tube amplifiers offer and supposedly the Bliss can do while being solid state.

Jun 13, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #6,829 of 7,888
If anyone happens to try the Holo Audio Bliss amplifier with the SR1a/b, I’d love to hear your impressions. Even better if you could compare to the VM-1a.

I’m especially curious about the sense of volume (often described as holographic) that most tube amplifiers offer and supposedly the Bliss can do while being solid state.
I've been enjoying my SR1a out of the Bliss via the TI-1a transformer box. I'm afraid I haven't heard the VM-1a outside of CanJam, more than a year ago, so I can't offer any comparisons there. My frame of reference is quite limited, just to the Schiit Ragnarok v. 1.5 and Mjolnir 2 with WE 396A tubes as well as the Jot R. But, with that said, the SR1a sounds by far the best out of the Bliss among these and a handful of other headphone amps I've tried it with (Phonitor X, Violectric V281, Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Gold X).

The Bliss doesn't do anything to undermine the distinctive qualities of the SR1a. The resolution is excellent, as is the macrodynamic contrast, and the lighting fast transients aren't slowed down. The sound is also fuller, thanks in no small amount the Bliss's warmth, which enriches the SR1a's sound quite nicely.

To your specific question, I hear something of the holographic sound of a tube amp (I have a DNA Stratus for my other headphones). It's hard to compare different setups with the Raals but there's a bit more of a rounded, 3D quality to the sound with the Bliss than my other amps - more so than the Mjolnir 2. The sound is fuller, richer than the other amps from the Bliss. There's better depth and height to the staging, and the further edges of lateral spatial cues are also better defined (e.g. in operas when the singers exit the stage and you can follow their voices far to the sides).

From distant, unreliable, and faint memory, the VM-1a was much richer and more tubey when it comes to staging. But please don't take my word for it.

Jun 13, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #6,830 of 7,888
I've been enjoying my SR1a out of the Bliss via the TI-1a transformer box.
Thank you, sir. Much appreciated. My interest is heightened. I do love my VM1a but I made the mistake of going back to reading some reviews and posts.

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #6,831 of 7,888
the vm-1a is the best amp I have found thus far for the Raal HP's...special combo

Jun 13, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #6,832 of 7,888
I changed my mind about selling my VM-1a. I am going for a cheaper 2-channel amp for my office, the Peachtree GAN400. I am keeping my VM_1a for the SR1a/CA-1a. I figure it is better to have the very best headphones setup vs a better 2-channel setup that can be leveraged for the 2 phones. If I had the cash I would just buy a better 2-channel setup amp and also keep the VM-1a, but I do not have the cash unless I sold the VM-1a.

Jun 14, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #6,833 of 7,888
I changed my mind about selling my VM-1a. I am going for a cheaper 2-channel amp for my office, the Peachtree GAN400. I am keeping my VM_1a for the SR1a/CA-1a. I figure it is better to have the very best headphones setup vs a better 2-channel setup that can be leveraged for the 2 phones. If I had the cash I would just buy a better 2-channel setup amp and also keep the VM-1a, but I do not have the cash unless I sold the VM-1a.
Wise move.

Enjoy.

Jun 14, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #6,834 of 7,888
I could not sell my VM-1a because I dont think there is any amp that is as good for the CA/SR and for me at the moment these 2 HP's are as good as anything out there

Jun 14, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #6,835 of 7,888
I may have gotten lucky. I had my Peachtree GAN400 all packed up with a return label from PeachTree. However, I had ordered a 15-foot RCA cable from Benchmark to connect my sub (KEF KC62) to a preamp (Holo Serene). This longer cable gave me flexibility to move the sub around. Normally I do not go above 6-foot on RCA but if Benchmark was selling a long cable, I knew it would be good.

Since the GAN400 was my only available amp, I unpacked it and tested it out with better sub placement. The speakers are Magnepan LRS+ in a small office). I was shocked at how much better this now sounded. Almost as good as my CODA #16 amp with the LRS+. I am now going to stick with the $2K GAN400 amp for the office and be done.

What I need to do is get a DAC for the office, I was using the 'DAC' in the PeachTree GAN1, but that is not useable with a preamp. I am considering the OKTO Stereo 8 DAC from Czechia. It has dual XLR outputs, 1 for my Holo Serene and the other for the RAAL VM-1a. The DAC costs $1500. I am about to sell a streamer for $2K and if that goes through, I will try out this DAC with the 2 systems in the office.

Jun 17, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #6,837 of 7,888
@number1sixerfan did you get a chance to try the filters already? :p

LOL no I haven't. But mainly because I haven't had time. Work has been really rough, today is the first day I've gotten to breathe in weeks. Also, really enjoying what I'm hearing right now. But I promise you I will, just may take some time lol.

Jun 18, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #6,838 of 7,888
Hi everyone, I'd like to ask for some help with my newly-acquired HSA-1b, please. Beyond using it with my SR1a, I'd also like to drive low efficiency planars such as the Abyss 1266 and LCD-4 from the ribbon output. The supplied cable is being sent to me separately. Before it arrives, is it possible to use any cable that has the correct 4-pin XLR terminations? Or is the Raal cable a proprietary, special one?

I ask because I don't understand how the same output can drive both ribbons and conventional headphones, because I gather that the TI-1a transformer interface requires specific cables lengths and impedances to work properly, and, well, because, for shame, I don't know enough about electricity.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer about this!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #6,839 of 7,888
you can use the adapter cable out of the Raal HP output for hard to drive planars and you can use the regular output for easier to drive HP's...actually works very well with all HP's it is a great amp and very versatile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back