Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Nov 2, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #6,076 of 7,885
It's also worth observing that amplifiers are built with specific components to meet a specific circuit characteristic. It doesn't take much to turn a lovely amp into an expensive oscillator:scream:
I am not talking about changing the circuit or component values or taking components out for that matter. I am talking about replacing one capacitor for an other “better” quality capacitor to influence the voicing of the amplifier. If that would turn an amplifier into an expensive oscillator the design would be flawed.

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #6,077 of 7,885
I am not talking about changing the circuit or component values or taking components out for that matter. I am talking about replacing one capacitor for an other “better” quality capacitor to influence the voicing of the amplifier. If that would turn an amplifier into an expensive oscillator the design would be flawed.
Hi Ricky

Changing caps is not always straightforward and boutique products are often a bit of a lottery. I'd be very wary of fiddling, is all I'm saying, because destabilising a circuit (and I agree you'd hope for a robust circuit to start with that wasn't marginal) can yield a mhz oscillator which won't improve anything.

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #6,078 of 7,885
Hi Ricky

Changing caps is not always straightforward and boutique products are often a bit of a lottery. I'd be very wary of fiddling, is all I'm saying, because destabilising a circuit (and I agree you'd hope for a robust circuit to start with that wasn't marginal) can yield a mhz oscillator which won't improve anything.
Not sure why you are arguing with me while @SageM of Raal is posting YouTube videos of removing bypass capacitors from the HSA-1b.

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #6,079 of 7,885
Hi Ricky

To me changing bypass caps is like tube rolling only more invasive

Nov 2, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #6,080 of 7,885
From my understanding of why bypass caps are used, they are often used by electronic equipment manufacturers in upscale "audiophile" products to instill more of a sense of air and transparency. Danny's premise of their degrading the sound is the first time I have encountered it but perhaps it is legitimate. Of course there is no arguing in matters of taste, correct? I also agree that the use of upgraded and more expensive caps can improve the sound. I once had a Quicksilver headphone amp and sent it off for a caps upgrade. The resultant sound was improved in bass and dynamics as well as spaciousness. Unfortunately this improved sound was accompanied by a new 60 Hz hum that I could never get rid of so I sold it to someone who figured out how to eliminate it.

Nov 2, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #6,081 of 7,885
Okay, to my understanding bypass capacitors are used to bypass higher valued electrolytic capacitors that are in the signal path. Electrolytic capacitors are not that favorable for signal transfer, so to improve them they use quality capacitors across them that are used in speakers.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #6,082 of 7,885
Not sure why you are arguing with me while @SageM of Raal is posting YouTube videos of removing bypass capacitors from the HSA-1b.

My last word on the subject as I don't want to clog up this excellent discussion of Raal's great products.

I am not arguing against what SageM said, or anyone removing bypass caps. That's very different to swapping components which have been carefully chosen during design with other components just because you believe a specific boutique component is inherently a better component. If we're talking at cross purposes, then ignore what I said. I am not picking a fight with you or anyone else.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #6,083 of 7,885
Its wild, if I listen to the sr1a for a period of time and then go back to my susvara or other planars it takes me a long time before I readjust...the presentation os so completely different it sounds wrong for a while and almost disconcerting...

Nov 7, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #6,084 of 7,885
From my understanding of why bypass caps are used, they are often used by electronic equipment manufacturers in upscale "audiophile" products to instill more of a sense of air and transparency. Danny's premise of their degrading the sound is the first time I have encountered it but perhaps it is legitimate. Of course there is no arguing in matters of taste, correct? I also agree that the use of upgraded and more expensive caps can improve the sound. I once had a Quicksilver headphone amp and sent it off for a caps upgrade. The resultant sound was improved in bass and dynamics as well as spaciousness. Unfortunately this improved sound was accompanied by a new 60 Hz hum that I could never get rid of so I sold it to someone who figured out how to eliminate it.
I didn't intend to imply bypass caps degrade the sound. Sorry if I gave that impression. I have used bypass caps in many of my own designs, they can be a complement to the sound. In this particular case, I find the SR-1a/b, paired with the HSA-1b, delivers all the detail, I require, without using bypass caps. Subjectively, I lean more towards a relaxed presentation. Not everyone will want this but, some may like it, as I do.

Nov 7, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #6,085 of 7,885
In the future my plan is to do this mod too on the VM-1a. But I would like to replace them with V-cap odam or Duelund caps.
The VM-1a doesn't use bypass caps but, does have coupling caps. VM-1a uses Clarity caps (made in UK). Clarity makes a very good cap but, it's not in the price category of V-cap or Dueland. This would be a far more difficult (and dangerous!) procedure than removing bypass caps. Personally, I really like the VM-1a, as is, however, trying different caps can be interesting and sometimes rewarding (depending on your taste).

Nov 8, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #6,086 of 7,885
I really love my SR1a's, but I find them almost too resolving on solo classical music. Very often, I can quite clearly hear the instrumentalist breathing. With prior headphones, it was just occasional recordings that annoyed me with breathing. Now I hear it quite frequently, and it can be very disruptive.

Any ideas for how to get around this problem without changing headphones? I'm running Roon->zen stream->bifrost 2->jotr->SR1a.

Nov 8, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #6,087 of 7,885
I really love my SR1a's, but I find them almost too resolving on solo classical music. Very often, I can quite clearly hear the instrumentalist breathing. With prior headphones, it was just occasional recordings that annoyed me with breathing. Now I hear it quite frequently, and it can be very disruptive.

Any ideas for how to get around this problem without changing headphones? I'm running Roon->zen stream->bifrost 2->jotr->SR1a.
Positional variations and the angle of the baffles have a huge influence on Raal SR1a‘s tonality and resolution.
Specially the range that transports breathing sounds is largely effected.
Once you found a good angle, cut a cardboard or plastic sheet triangle as a measure to reproduce it.

Look here for a video showing all the adjustment options SR1a/b offers:

I’d suggest to experiment with optimizing that, before trying another audio chain or giving up on SR1a.
I’d go so far, that electronics don’t significantly change on this aspect.

Using EQ is another valid way to tailor your SR1a’s sound to your liking.
I’m very satisfied with what my RME ADI-2 Pro does to my SR1a.
Took a while to optimize, but now I wouldn’t want to miss it.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #6,089 of 7,885
How did you optimized it? Could you please share your parameters? I pretty much use the default setup with my ADI2 currently.
The major first step is experimenting with the various degrees of freedom in head placement.

The short video from the Raal website is sure worth a look in this regard:

I would not call myself a bass-head, but do like solid base and fundamentals in my music.
At the same time I’m generally not listening very loud, vocals in the music are a bit louder than normal humans talking.
Typical music level ca. 65-70 dBA Leq (long term average), with peaks up to 95 - 100 dB SPL.
The power amp is not challenged much: ca. +20 dBu or 10 W / 6 Ohm Peak typically is the very highest I observe.

I love music with lot’s of dynamic, try to avoid contemporary, dynamically over-squashed remasters.

First based on measurements (on my own head, mic inside my ears), then hours of fine-tuning I made an EQ setting that adresses all mentioned Issues, without overdoing it or killing SR1a’s character.

Specially the bass becomes viceral in a way I did not expect from SR1a.

The EQ slighty addresses midrange and treble too, this is very personal I guess.
Doing more in the mid/treble range sounds too much for me.
Treble is better controlled by positional variations, than excessive EQ.

With the EQ the bass and fundamentals sound punchy, compact and present in a way I did not expect from SR1a.
The fastness stays, combined with a significant gripe on the related instruments.
No hint of tizzy or thin sounding any more.

Positioning, probably quite personal, but another person found similar settings favorable too.
• Driver flaps angle: L 27 ° R 27 ° few millimeters away from pinnae contact. I made little card-board angle stencils to set this up.
• Driver horizontal position: usually ca. 5 mm to the front from the back-most possible position, very tiny bit more forward than the upper-mid-hottest position. I do use this to regulate the treble amount.
• Driver height: center driver ca. aligned with ear-canal entrance.
• Wearing angle (seen from the side): upper part, headband, slightly backwards, ca. 10 °.
• Fit: tight fit, still comfortable, don’t need the back-strap.

Raal SR-1a EQ04
RME ADI-2 Pro.

THE EQ DOES NOT CONTAIN BAFFLE STEP COMPENSATION as the standard SR1a amp interface already has it.
There are EQ bands left to do this, in case needed.

Baffle Step Compensation would be:
-4.5 dB / 1000Hz / Q=0.5 / High Shelf.

Gain / Freq / Q / Type / (comment)
.. dB / Hz
+5.5 / 130 / 0.8 / Shelf / (adjust gain to taste)
.. n.a. / 25 / 1.8 / High Pass / (High Q boost the lows SR1a is capable, removes below)
-2.0 / 2.1k / 1.5 / Peak / (vocal presence)
-1.0 / 6.3k / 3.5 / Peak / (harshness)
-2.5 / 9.1k / 5.0 / Peak / (Sibilants)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #6,090 of 7,885
The VM-1a doesn't use bypass caps but, does have coupling caps. VM-1a uses Clarity caps (made in UK). Clarity makes a very good cap but, it's not in the price category of V-cap or Dueland. This would be a far more difficult (and dangerous!) procedure than removing bypass caps. Personally, I really like the VM-1a, as is, however, trying different caps can be interesting and sometimes rewarding (depending on your taste).
First let me say the VM-1A is an awesome amplifier and I like it very much. The clarity caps is a good choice with a good price/ quality factor and many tube manufacturers choose clarity caps. But I guess I am a dreamer, what if I could make it more awesome, eye watering awesome 😁. Naturally you need the skills and a bit of courage to undertake this but it could be rewarding.
For now or in the near future I am not going to do this but some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back