Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Nov 11, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #6,106 of 7,890
It's ok to admit that nobody wants to hear (drastic) breathing in music lol.

Is it? I am not sure after reading the forum comments! I will listen to their breathing and enjoy it! I just loved the way he sharply inhaled in that movement; I just wish his exhales had a little more mucus.

I appreciate your comment, however. And no, its not the SR1a's fault. And you are probably right, I probably just have to give up listening to certain recordings.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #6,107 of 7,890
the answer is to buy a less discerning HP...if you dont want to hear all sorts of detail then there are tons of HP's that wont provide it,kind of like buying an abyss 1266 and complaining there is too much bass lol

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #6,108 of 7,890
Actually I don't exactly agree with that. There is more to love about the SR1a than the detail. One could love it for its hyper open design which makes it far more suitable for long sessions than any conventional headphone or its timbre or transient speed, or any combination of. I can understand why someone would want a less "detailed" SR1a sound.

I think playing with the DAC is the easiest solution to achieve lesser resolution.

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #6,109 of 7,890
I find the soundstage and imaging on the sr1a truly marvelous along with the detail...I just find it hard to fathom wanting to dial back the detail but hey everyone is different

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #6,110 of 7,890
I find the soundstage and imaging on the sr1a truly marvelous along with the detail...I just find it hard to fathom wanting to dial back the detail but hey everyone is different
I think your thinking about this the wrong way.
People want the recordings they love to sound good.
I would for example like Bat out of Hell to be a great recording, it simply isn’t no matter what i would like it to sound like, when I listen to it the piano in the opening will always sound like it was recorded underwater in a phone booth. I love the track, hate the recording.
It’s not the headphones (or any part of the reproduction chains) fault, but I can see how people can prefer less of the shoving everything wrong with the recording in your face.
Fundamentally it’s about the music, I grit my teeth and put up with bad recordings for the music I love, there is a downside with being brutally honest about what’s on the recording.

Nov 12, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #6,111 of 7,890
Since I had my SR1a (my first highly resolving chain), I got a chance to hear and realize the impact of the recording, mixing and mastering like never before... for better or for worse it made me discover a whole new layer of the hobby. Besides letting me appreciate/comprehend/evaluate better the qualities, subtilities and caracters of the different artists and instruments, now I can sometimes kind of understand how, where and with which gears the music was produced just by listening to the track as the different sounds unfold the story of how it all happened.

It took me time and money to properly set up the SR1a in order to feel satisfied and enjoy most of my music. As the name "Studio Reference 1 a" implies these HP are like a tool revealing loads of informations and magnifying micro details that can, in some situations, be too much of a good thing requiring tuning for normal listening (vocals, with their caracters and artifacts, seem pushed a bit forward also). But they become very rewarding, almost magical, with "greatly" recorded, mixed and mastered tracks, where the experience can actually feel spooky real from time to time with the clarity and space cues, as if you were teleported where it actually took place.

I would dare to say that the SR1a is not a direct link between the music melody and your spirit/soul kind of experience, but put back how each physical impact is creating energy waves that will firstly strike your body, senses and mind then being translated to sounds intruding your psyche before making a cohesive melody that will eventually speak to your soul. Also I would assume the inherent dynamic and transients of the ribbons will make poor recording physically harder to listen and decrease your hearing faster than other, less physically impactfull headphones at same volume.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #6,112 of 7,890
I think your thinking about this the wrong way.
People want the recordings they love to sound good.
I would for example like Bat out of Hell to be a great recording, it simply isn’t no matter what i would like it to sound like, when I listen to it the piano in the opening will always sound like it was recorded underwater in a phone booth. I love the track, hate the recording.
It’s not the headphones (or any part of the reproduction chains) fault, but I can see how people can prefer less of the shoving everything wrong with the recording in your face.
Fundamentally it’s about the music, I grit my teeth and put up with bad recordings for the music I love, there is a downside with being brutally honest about what’s on the recording.
I am fine with that desire, all I am saying is if you want a HP that will not brutally expose all the warts in so many recordings then the sr1a isnt for you or perhaps use another less discerning HP for such recordings and save the sr1a for the pristine recordings

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #6,114 of 7,890
I am fine with that desire, all I am saying is if you want a HP that will not brutally expose all the warts in so many recordings then the sr1a isnt for you or perhaps use another less discerning HP for such recordings and save the sr1a for the pristine recordings
As the inestimable J. Gordon Holt of Stereophile posited: The better the recording the worse the performance. So we are left with many great performances that have compromised sonics. If you wish to listen to only great sounding recordings you are missing some watershed performances and the SR-1a/b will lay bare such inferior recordings in all their naked shortcomings. I for one realized this years ago and decided that I wanted to hear great performances regardless of sonics and the SR-1a/b is the best means to that end that I have witnessed.

Nov 12, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #6,115 of 7,890
As the inestimable J. Gordon Holt of Stereophile posited: The better the recording the worse the performance. So we are left with many great performances that have compromised sonics. If you wish to listen to only great sounding recordings you are missing some watershed performances and the SR-1a/b will lay bare such inferior recordings in all their naked shortcomings. I for one realized this years ago and decided that I wanted to hear great performances regardless of sonics and the SR-1a/b is the best means to that end that I have witnessed.
you misunderstand me, I am not suggesting one not listen to poor recordings...I agree that sadly some of my favorite music is poorly recorded and mastered and I recognize it that much more when I listen to high end equipment...I was only speaking of the persons desire to somehow make the sr1a less discerning

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #6,116 of 7,890
you misunderstand me, I am not suggesting one not listen to poor recordings...I agree that sadly some of my favorite music is poorly recorded and mastered and I recognize it that much more when I listen to high end equipment...I was only speaking of the persons desire to somehow make the sr1a less discerning
I've personally been handling this via having multiple pre/amp setups to swing between "high accuracy" and "sweet (or mushy) goodness" ... or whatever one would call the second one, with of course many variations of "sound character" that could be had.

My take is the the SR-1a/b is so far the best way I've exerienced to get out exactly what is put in, with no intervening character or blurriness of the headphone transducers themselves.

My 2 main stacks, both using a Topping D90SE DAC are:
  • Accurate:
    • Passive preamp
    • Topping LA90 or Purifi 1ET400A
  • "Sweet":
    • Passive preamp or Linear Tube Audio microZOTL preamp
    • Pass Labs X250.8 or First Watt SIT-3
Anyway, the latter set makes so many recordings sound Glorious... :)

Nov 14, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #6,117 of 7,890
My journey with the sr1b finally begins...

Took a while to get my amp sorted out 🤑😣

Nov 14, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #6,118 of 7,890
My journey with the sr1b finally begins...

Took a while to get my amp sorted out 🤑😣

congrats man!

the sr1b is extremely impressive. I had not had the same impressions of the Raal when I borrowed it and subsequently owned it a while back. I genuinely thought it was too clinical and cold.

things have really changed with the TI-1b box + OB adaptors and a good pre and power amp. also running mitch filters. the low end is actually very good; fast, punchy, with decent sub-bass. and overall I'd go so far as to say it is bordering on a slightly warmish sound sig right now.

am reaching for the sr1b more and more these days. love how the music seems to come out of nowhere.

Nov 14, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #6,119 of 7,890
With a good eq profile the SR1a (so also b?) are capable of completey satisfying results for me. Other than my 20yr old Grados which are plugged into my macbook (although they sound surprisingly tasty plugged into the Dave) I don't have any other headphones now. I can't see myself chasing another highend headphone - though getting a TI-1b and shopping for tasty amps is definitely a possibility.

The combination of ribbon and form factor which solves all the stored-energy issues inherent in even open-backed traditional over-ear/on-ear 'phones gives me everything I want in a transducer that I can wear.

Until i move house next year and can look towards speakers again, the Raals are simply the best (for me, my opinion only, your experience may vary...)

Nov 14, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #6,120 of 7,890
With a good eq profile the SR1a (so also b?) are capable of completey satisfying results for me. Other than my 20yr old Grados which are plugged into my macbook (although they sound surprisingly tasty plugged into the Dave) I don't have any other headphones now. I can't see myself chasing another highend headphone - though getting a TI-1b and shopping for tasty amps is definitely a possibility.

The combination of ribbon and form factor which solves all the stored-energy issues inherent in even open-backed traditional over-ear/on-ear 'phones gives me everything I want in a transducer that I can wear.

Until i move house next year and can look towards speakers again, the Raals are simply the best (for me, my opinion only, your experience may vary...)
Funny that you mention Grado as the "other" phone. I was (and actually still) a big Grado fan, I couldn't find anything that was better for me. Till the Raal came.

Now I can not listen to music with anything else. I have a Grado RS1x which is my "away from home" headphone with a FIIO q5s and my Meze Liric is my gaming headphone (although I play very-very rarerly). I can not listen to music with the Liric.

Simply said the Raal ruined every other headphone for me. At the goes for comfort too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back