Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Sep 20, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #5,881 of 7,888
Well, we are somewhat biased, naturally, but it's really a winner. We've learned along the years how to remove the bias as much as possible.

The plan is to try to do the same cable topology in Copper and adapt it for interconnects and input cable for TI.
We shall be quick about it and get those out soon (if they pass the scrutiny).
Look forward to them. So it’s gonna be a combo of Copper for input cable & silver for headphone cable 👍🏼

Sep 20, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #5,882 of 7,888
The Star-8 is only for the TI, right? When will silver cables (and which models) be available again for direct drive amps?
STAR-8 6ft is universal, except for the JotR.

The objective was to make the best possible cable for our transformer headphone outputs (TI-1a/b and VM-1a), reducing the cable inductance as much as possible while retaining the desired resistance (at sensible length) for proper xfmr loading.
Coincidentally, the requirement is the same for direct-drive amps, as low resistance circuits will have higher bandwidth the lower the inductance is, so STAR-8 is great for the HSA-1b.

But, the JotR won't work it's best if the cable is lower than 0.4 Ohms, so STAR-8 6ft with it's 0.23 Ohms will not be a great match. A 10ft. STAR-8 will be needed to get to 0.4 Ohms.

STAR-8 is going to be a family of cables, in both Pure Silver and probably Pure Copper.

We are starting with headphone 6ft. Silver cable that matches all our amp/interface/headphones combinations.

The next will be also Silver for the TI Input. Those will have very similar topology, same twisting technique, same annealing cycles, but with different specs, ones that better suite the termination with 32/16 Ohms load.

After those, there will be Silver Interconnect cables, XLR and RCA.

As for the Pure Copper versions of all of the above, we want to make all those too, but we have to find enough time to see about the annealing.
This annealing for strain relief that we must do with Silver is going very nicely at low temperatures that Pure Silver requires. The influence to the sound is profound. And, it can't be overdone. There is a point where total strain relief (allowing for full recrystalization to a very soft wire) where the "magic" is lost, which is why we do short cycles and then just control the number of cycles. That gives a more consistent result than one long cycle with controlled temp and duration.
On a side note, I don't think (for now) that this change in sound happens because of some special property of crystal, monocrystal, nanocrystal or amorphous arrangement of Silver atoms, but because of cable mechanically resonating and ringing. We are passing speaker level currents through a tiny cable with very closely arranged conductors that attract and repel each other, so the cable-rope is expanding and contracting in diameter. That produces even order harmonic distortion and I thing that simply finding the right stiffness and internal dampening it the metal, prevents it from high Q mechanical ringing. We could have done the impregnation, but that creates a very stiff cable that is not comfortable to use.

Sterling Silver requires higher temp, for example, and Copper even higher...So, if that is going to be a problem with the sound of the Copper versions, I don't know yet how we could do that, as the insulation between adjescent conductors will burn. But we'll see. maybe the Copper won't need annealing at all, I don't know, as I haven't had the time to deal with that just yet.
In any case, if the Copper version of STAR-8 works, we'll offer it, if it doesn't, we won't.

There's more work to be done, but in short, we've started with STAR-8 Pure Silver HP cable and it's available starting next week.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Sep 20, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #5,883 of 7,888
STAR-8 6ft is universal, except for the JotR.

The objective was to make the best possible cable for our transformer headphone outputs (TI-1a/b and VM-1a), reducing the cable inductance as much as possible while retaining the desired resistance (at sensible length) for proper xfmr loading.
Coincidentally, the requirement is the same for direct-drive amps, as low resistance circuits will have higher bandwidth the lower the inductance is, so STAR-8 is great for the HSA-1b.

But, the JotR won't work it's best if the cable is lower than 0.4 Ohms, so STAR-8 6ft with it's 0.23 Ohms will not be a great match. A 10ft. STAR-8 will be needed to get to 0.4 Ohms.

STAR-8 is going to be a family of cables, in both Pure Silver and probably Pure Copper.

We are starting with headphone 6ft. Silver cable that matches all our amp/interface/headphones combinations.

The next will be also Silver for the TI Input. Those will have very similar topology, same twisting technique, same annealing cycles, but with different specs, ones that better suite the termination with 32/16 Ohms load.

After those, there will be Silver Interconnect cables, XLR and RCA.

As for the Pure Copper versions of all of the above, we want to make all those too, but we have to find enough time to see about the annealing.
This annealing for strain relief that we must do with Silver is going very nicely at low temperatures that Pure Silver requires. The influence to the sound is profound. And, it can't be overdone. There is a point where total strain relief (allowing for full recrystalization to a very soft wire) where the "magic" is lost, which is why we do short cycles and then just control the number of cycles. That gives a more consistent result than one long cycle with controlled temp and duration.
On a side note, I don't think (for now) that this change in sound happens because of some special property of crystal, monocrystal, nanocrystal or amorphous arrangement of Silver atoms, but because of cable mechanically resonating and ringing. We are passing speaker level currents through a tiny cable with very closely arranged conductors that attract and repel each other, so the cable-rope is expanding and contracting in diameter. That produces even order harmonic distortion and I thing that simply finding the right stiffness and internal dampening it the metal, prevents it from high Q mechanical ringing. We could have done the impregnation, but that creates a very stiff cable that is not comfortable to use.

Sterling Silver requires higher temp, for example, and Copper even higher...So, if that is going to be a problem with the sound of the Copper versions, I don't know yet how we could do that, as the insulation between adjescent conductors will burn. But we'll see. maybe the Copper won't need annealing at all, I don't know, as I haven't had the time to deal with that just yet.
In any case, if the Copper version of STAR-8 works, we'll offer it, if it doesn't, we won't.

There's more work to be done, but in short, we've started with STAR-8 Pure Silver HP cable and it's available starting next week.
The new cables are very nice! Heard them at CanJam and the combination of them with the VM1a was stunning. Both will be bought as soon as I can figure out funds ie. this years bonus comes in :D

Had a great conversation with Danny as well!

Sep 20, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #5,885 of 7,888
Great timing on this new Star-8 cable. I was going to contact Danny about getting a second SR728 cable. I have setup 2 listening stations, 1 with the VM-1a in a bedroom and the KRELL Duo 175XD amp with the old amp interface box in my office. I was using the RAAL cable for the Schitt JR amp with both the KRELL and VM-1a and it just does not scale to the heights of the SR728. The cable is OK with the JR. I am too lazy to keep swapping the SR728 between the 2 listening stations so I will be lazy and get this new Star 8. (or SR728) .
We did quite a lot of cable comparison, including all of our previous designs along with many new designs and extensive annealing variations. The Star-8 Pure Silver has the very elusive quality of extremely detailed resolution with natural and relaxed warmth. I've never heard such detail without some degree of glare or fatigue. I understand very well that bias could play a part in our liking it so much but, truly, we rejected many design attempts. We can actually be very hard on ourselves!

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #5,886 of 7,888
Holy moly! I don’t know whether it’s the Elrog 300B or the CA1a that has been optimally burnt-in, but as I was listening to these two albums, the bass slam and rumble are just out of this world. As far as I remember, I‘ve never had this much amount of slam and rumble from my Susvara. And this is without EQ on CA1a whereas I did apply a bass shelf in Roon for Susvara. Perhaps 1266 TC’s bass is still a bit above but definitely not by much. Naturally CA1a‘s bass is cleaner, faster and has better definition, but still just a touch below TC in terms of rumble and slam.

Well at least this is on my system, YMMV etc. etc.

2EF8CC28-17E5-46B8-80DA-2D752D48C3DC.jpeg

CD65D360-577D-4A8B-AFEF-5D12929BFB92.jpeg

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #5,887 of 7,888
Holy moly! I don’t know whether it’s the Elrog 300B or the CA1a that has been optimally burnt-in, but as I was listening to these two albums, the bass slam and rumble are just out of this world. As far as I remember, I‘ve never had this much amount of slam and rumble from my Susvara. And this is without EQ on CA1a whereas I did apply a bass shelf in Roon for Susvara. Perhaps 1266 TC’s bass is still a bit above but definitely not by much. Naturally CA1a‘s bass is cleaner, faster and has better definition, but still just a touch below TC in terms of rumble and slam.

Well at least this is on my system, YMMV etc. etc.

2EF8CC28-17E5-46B8-80DA-2D752D48C3DC.jpeg

CD65D360-577D-4A8B-AFEF-5D12929BFB92.jpeg
Intriguing . . . What pads are you using on the CA1a? Thanks!

Sep 21, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #5,888 of 7,888
Sep 22, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #5,889 of 7,888
ok, then I will stick with the adapter box
jlbrach , is SR1a driven by CFA3+old interface overall better than HSA1-b in your opinion or not?

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #5,890 of 7,888
What do you guys think of this tube to replace the 6sn7 on the VM-1A?
6SN7GT VT-231 JAN Sylvania, blackplate clearglass, bottom getter, medium glass.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #5,891 of 7,888
jlbrach , is SR1a driven by CFA3+old interface overall better than HSA1-b in your opinion or not?
I only have the newer box the Ti-1b....it is a very different liten...the hsa-1b is incredibly clean and lean sounding..the cfa3 combo is to my ears sweeter and more tube like for a crude explanation...it is also wider and has deeper bass...I go back and forth between them

Sep 22, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #5,892 of 7,888
I've run my Oppo 105D balanced outputs to Schiit Lokius balanced in/out to HSA-1b to SR1a.
Watched "Prometheus" and "Alien Covenant" this afternoon.
Very impressive and immersive sound, I felt bass was outstanding (with a little goose on bottom from Lokius) and clarity of sound is a hallmark of ribbon transducers.
And the increase in weight difference between the SR1a and my Senn HD800S was more than compensated for by my ears not heating up.

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #5,893 of 7,888
The new silver cable is here (I think one of the first ones). Has definitely more air/shine as the standard copper. More testing at the weekend but seems to be a real improvement upon then standard.

1E814F1C-1B5F-4818-858D-EE2FD1326751.jpeg

Sep 23, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #5,894 of 7,888
The new silver cable is here (I think one of the first ones). Has definitely more air/shine as the standard copper. More testing at the weekend but seems to be a real improvement upon then standard.

1E814F1C-1B5F-4818-858D-EE2FD1326751.jpeg
Do you have the previous series silver 728 or premium star 6 to compare or only stock ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back