Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Sep 18, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #5,851 of 7,898
You will need to account for the baffle compensation with any circuit that doesn't build it in.
Ah I see. So there’s no incompatibility issues in terms of resistance value, or perhaps the current that goes into the SR1a from CFA3? (just don’t want to damage them by doing so).

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #5,852 of 7,898
Ah I see. So there’s no incompatibility issues in terms of resistance value, or perhaps the current that goes into the SR1a from CFA3? (just don’t want to damage them by doing so).
Yup. You likely could ask Kevin to even include a daughter board for a CFA3 build with RAALs. But you should build out the uberamp2.

This also goes for the LCD-R. The CFA3 will handle the load, with no issue. Although do understand these interfaces help take stress off of the amp.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #5,853 of 7,898
The CFA3 can drive it direct.
Wait, what? Seriously?! Now I'm embarrassed. I own a CFA3 and had no idea. But if I am going to be embarrassed, I'm glad it's with great news. Excited to try this out . . .

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #5,854 of 7,898
Wait, what? Seriously?! Now I'm embarrassed. I own a CFA3 and had no idea. But if I am going to be embarrassed, I'm glad it's with great news. Excited to try this out . . .
Please try it out and let us know. If results are favorable, then I’ll try it myself 😁

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #5,855 of 7,898
Sep 19, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #5,856 of 7,898
Hi, does anyone get reply from RAAL through email? I sent 2-3 emails recently but no reply. Hope they are alright

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #5,857 of 7,898
Hi, does anyone get reply from RAAL through email? I sent 2-3 emails recently but no reply. Hope they are alright
I think they areat CamJam, maybe
Yup. You likely could ask Kevin to even include a daughter board for a CFA3 build with RAALs. But you should build out the uberamp2.

This also goes for the LCD-R. The CFA3 will handle the load, with no issue. Although do understand these interfaces help take stress off of the amp.
Wow...it can really drive a 0.3Ohm
load?

This amp with that linear PSU?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kg-cfa3-headphone-amp.938064/

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #5,858 of 7,898
I just tried driving SR1a directly from CFA3 (my EQ has been adjusted with OB compensation), doesn’t sound that good. I still prefer using the old interface box. And yes SR1a still has the edge over CA1a in terms of openness (obviously), and the treble extended more naturally than CA1a. I will still keep SR1a, it’s still the pinnacle of personal audio to my ears. CA1a is here to give a different flavor, along with TC.

Sep 19, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #5,859 of 7,898
I just tried driving SR1a directly from CFA3 (my EQ has been adjusted with OB compensation), doesn’t sound that good. I still prefer using the old interface box. And yes SR1a still has the edge over CA1a in terms of openness (obviously), and the treble extended more naturally than CA1a. I will still keep SR1a, it’s still the pinnacle of personal audio to my ears. CA1a is here to give a different flavor, along with TC.
How much better SR1A is out of CFA3+old interface vs HSA1-b? I have tried two different mono power amplifiers + old interface and i can't say it was worth the trouble vs playing direct from HSA1-b.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #5,860 of 7,898
How much better SR1A is out of CFA3+old interface vs HSA1-b? I have tried two different mono power amplifiers + old interface and i can't say it was worth the trouble vs playing direct from HSA1-b.
Sorry but I don’t have HSA-1b

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #5,861 of 7,898
I agree. Kevin actually said why would anyone do this when you have the uberamp when it was first proposed to use the CFA3 with SR1a.
I think it sounds like dog but you always pay a price for convenience.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #5,862 of 7,898
I agree. Kevin actually said why would anyone do this when you have the uberamp when it was first proposed to use the CFA3 with SR1a.
I think it sounds like dog but you always pay a price for convenience.
Yeah….but I like the sound when using the interface box when using my CFA3’s speaker taps (I asked dukei to include them). That’s how I drive them, with some PEQ in Roon.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #5,863 of 7,898
Can an uberamp be commissioned?

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #5,864 of 7,898
Sep 19, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #5,865 of 7,898
not sure if this is the right thread for this but i didnt find a JotR specified thread so i posted this experience here. i haven't listen to my JotR and SR1A setup for a while and while i enjoyed the beautiful performance of my utopia this morning, i suddenly wished to compare the two.

i listened with tidal for a few songs (still superb performance and no less from the SR1A :relaxed: ) and then switched back to the utopia for an hour or so before i reached to my SR1a again. btw, i stacked my jotR under my computer monitor and above the topping A90/D90 stack (which i used for most of my overeras) for convenience (not particularly well ventilated but not closed/covered).

but when i switched again to SR1A after an hour or so, there's quite audible clipping on the treble from the right side driver! i tried different songs and switched between footbar, spotify and tidal - all the same with the "ringing" kind of clipping sound! i touched the JotR and it's quite hot to touch and it's already lunch time anyway so i turned off everything and went out. i got back home evening and switched back on the the JotR to see if it's the right side ribbon driver clipped. luckily, after cooling off, everything back to normal! gayle and jax both sang beautiful without any audible noise/clipping.

i just wonder if that's the limitation of jotR (e.g. out of the operating temperature range)? Schiit actually advised never to turn it off but i found the unit consumes the same amount of power (~15W) no matter music is playing or not so i actually turned it off most of the time as i didnt often listen to my SR1A (i personally hear no substantial/audible difference whether i warm it up or not). i guess it needs to dissipate 15W of power when idling this morning similar to a class A amp. maybe that's what caused the clipping in the morning?
I guess you’re facing a variant of the instability issue of Jotunheim R that was reported here frequently.

When semiconductors and capacitors get hot they change their parameters.
JotR seems to be designed slightly “on the edge”, so can’t always handle this gracefully.
This type is of instability is partly reversible when getting colder again, but can become worse when the unit is aging.

I’d contact Schiit about it.

In general it‘s a good idea to keep electronics as cool as possible.
10 °C less, e.g. doubles the lifespan of electrolytic capacitors, like the ones used in JotR’s power supply section.

For the same reason, and even for environmental compliance these days, switching off unused stuff is a good idea, even if you have to give up the last quantum of audiophile finesse.

Sidemark, not for JotR:
For those having such amps, tubes wear out when running idle too.
Not only is their lifetime quite limited anyway, but long before finally breaking they become weaker, changing the sound, specially in those audiophile low NFB designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back