Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 3, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #5,641 of 7,882
As a studio professional, working with balanced and single ended / unbalanced connections all the time, I‘m curious what‘s intended by this connection scheme?

Depending on the type of balanced output, this could work or not:

• With transformer coupled (“ungrounded balanced“) outputs no sense-full signal would reach the RCA.

• For servo balanced outputs, a symetrical load could make a little difference if it matches the input impedance of the following amp, but those are intended to be used with grounded cold pin when connected single ended / unbalanced.
You get 6 dB less level with your proposed way.

• For outputs that are not servo balanced, the cold pin should be left unconnected, the 10 KOhm wouldn’t hurt, but don’t change anything.

• For impedance-balanced / pseudo-balanced outputs, the 10 KOhm wouldn’t hurt, but don’t change anything, because cold pin doesn’t carry a signal.
Going from XLR output from DAC to RCA is not normally how you do things, so simply because of not knowing whether the output is Servo balanced or not, 10k from cold to GND is the safest thing you could advise to anyone, without being held accountable for blowing the output chips on their Lumin or EMM Labs DACs.
I'm 99.999% certain that the two dacs in question do not have output transformers and that Manley 300B preamp does not have the input transformer.
But, maybe you're right that the safest way is to leave the pin 3 disconnected.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Jul 4, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #5,642 of 7,882
After reading the information right here, if I didn't get it wrong, the Sr1a/b with TI-1a/b needs the OB Compensation to plug on the amp side before your rca/xlr cable plugged, is that correct?

If yes, if I use normal headphones, I need to unplug the OB Compensation barrel to listen to those..

Do you think it is a bit messy to change the plug every time if I want to switch the headphones? I saw someone built a switch on the speaker interface, but is it possible to build the OB Compensation barrel inside the TI-1a?
My RCA cable is a bit too clumsy to unplug and plug again just for adding the barrels on it, may I know anyone has this situation?

Also, I would like to know if anyone is using TI-1a with AIC10? Do you think the bass quantity is enough? I have tried with the speaker interface in the past with AIC10, but the sound is not satisfied.
Correct. They connect at the amplifier input (balanced or single-ended).

Yes, good point. I agree it can be a bit messy.

If your equipment allows, you can run both balanced and single-ended from your DAC (or other source). Having one stereo pair with OB Compensation and the other without. This will enable you to use your source select switch. Not perfect but, less messy.

Very best!

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #5,643 of 7,882
Correct. They connect at the amplifier input (balanced or single-ended).

Yes, good point. I agree it can be a bit messy.

If your equipment allows, you can run both balanced and single-ended from your DAC (or other source). Having one stereo pair with OB Compensation and the other without. This will enable you to use your source select switch. Not perfect but, less messy.

Very best!
I have to say the TI-1a/b is a wonderful product for whom wants to enjot the SR1a/b with the less wattage amp, I am actually planning to buy them.

But after knowing that I need to add the OB compensation to the amp, it makes the case quite hard to decide buying or not.
Because I am using a 8000USD RCA which I dont want to buy another pair just to put the OB compensation barrel for SR1a/b, this will make the cost a lot higher.... I dont think adding like one to 2RCA splitter or stuff like that will be good for the sound as well.

I am hoping that there will be a solution which I could add the ob compensation to other side which wont affect my switching on headphones and as well as dont need to add another expensive pair of RCA/XLR just for changing headphone..

The interconnect cables really make a huge difference in sound as it is a connection between DAC and amp, but if I add one more pair, that really makes me headache...

Just curious to ask, is that possible to add it on the speaker tap side to the input of TI-1a/b's 4pin xlr? If yes, that can solve my problem.

I have one more question, for the headphone cable, is it Sr1a/b has a specific ohm value to fit? I am thinking to ask Norne/DHC/other brand's cable to build a great headphone cable for the SR1a/b if possible, any requirement needed to tell them for building one?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #5,644 of 7,882
SR-1b seems to go out? https://bloomaudio.com/products/raal-requisite-sr1b
Below was what I saw in the email:
The follow-up to the highly acclaimed SR1a is finally here. The SR1b comes with better internal parts and wiring over its predecessor, but what's really great is that it includes the TI-1a (also available separately for existing SR1a owners) that allows you to drive it with a conventional headphone amplifier. No more needing a mammoth speaker amp on your desk.

Jul 5, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #5,645 of 7,882
Jul 5, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #5,647 of 7,882
the ad is misleading..according to raal there is no difference in sound between A and B only aesthetics
They're also using photos of the SR-1a to pitch the 1b, I'm pretty sure, which is odd since the biggest difference is aesthetic.

Jul 6, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #5,648 of 7,882
exactly

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #5,649 of 7,882
They did mention the internal wiring material has changed from copper wire to silver one. Other than this, it’s difference in outlook.

Jul 11, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #5,650 of 7,882
I'm considering purchasing this headphone cable Moon-Audio for my RAAL SR1a Headphones and RAAL Requisite VM-1a Tube amplifier. Right now, all of my listening is in my bedroom streaming through my desktop computer, however looking forward I would eventually like to integrate this into a 2-channel home stereo downstairs. To do this correctly I would need a 15–20-foot headphone cable to reach my listening chair. Is there any downside to having a cable this long? I assume since it's balanced, my losses would be minimal. Since I'm upsampling to DSD, any additional losses would be very bad. I would have to buy a streamer for my downstairs system. Currently using HQPlayer with convolution filters and doing 512-1024X DSD oversampling with Roon feeding HQPlayer via Qobuz and Tidal. The rest of my current system is Holo Audio May KTE DAC, Holo Audio Serene KTE preamp. Also I have various Triode Wire Power cables and Zavfino Fusion XLR interconnects/DH Labs Silver Sonic USB. Future purchases will be a Power amp and Speakers.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #5,651 of 7,882
I'm considering purchasing this headphone cable Moon-Audio for my RAAL SR1a Headphones and RAAL Requisite VM-1a Tube amplifier. Right now, all of my listening is in my bedroom streaming through my desktop computer, however looking forward I would eventually like to integrate this into a 2-channel home stereo downstairs. To do this correctly I would need a 15–20-foot headphone cable to reach my listening chair. Is there any downside to having a cable this long? I assume since it's balanced, my losses would be minimal. Since I'm upsampling to DSD, any additional losses would be very bad. I would have to buy a streamer for my downstairs system. Currently using HQPlayer with convolution filters and doing 512-1024X DSD oversampling with Roon feeding HQPlayer via Qobuz and Tidal. The rest of my current system is Holo Audio May KTE DAC, Holo Audio Serene KTE preamp. Also I have various Triode Wire Power cables and Zavfino Fusion XLR interconnects/DH Labs Silver Sonic USB. Future purchases will be a Power amp and Speakers.
That is a pretty heavy gauge cable and the VM is designed for loads that ideally is as 12 feet of that cable.

By choosing 20ft, you will loose about 2dB of power, which is not a problem as VM has about 3dB more power than needed.
If it has a large enough inductance, you may experience a loss in highs and transparency, but I doubt it has that much.
Still, if 15 ft is OK, I'd rather choose that than 20ft.

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #5,652 of 7,882
That is a pretty heavy gauge cable and the VM is designed for loads that ideally is as 12 feet of that cable.

By choosing 20ft, you will loose about 2dB of power, which is not a problem as VM has about 3dB more power than needed.
If it has a large enough inductance, you may experience a loss in highs and transparency, but I doubt it has that much.
Still, if 15 ft is OK, I'd rather choose that than 20ft.

Excellent, thank you for your input, Aleksandar.

Jul 11, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #5,653 of 7,882
is the vm more powerful than the 1b and if so does it allow you to listen at lower volume levels?

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #5,655 of 7,882
Digital SR1 Open Baffle compensation in Jriver player

Here’s what should be done:

From the main menu, click on Player, then select DSP Studio, or just hit Ctrl+D, then just do what I did in the attached screenshot:

Check “Parametric Equalizer”

Add “Adjust high frequencies (high-shelf filter)” and check it

Parameters:
Frequency: 1134Hz
Bandwidth (Q): 0.5
Gain: –5dB
Channels: Left;Right

Really easy to use and It works great!

Clipboard02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back