Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 1, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #5,626 of 7,847
Looks neat. Where is the stand from
I'm not sure. I'm guessing it was homemade. It was posted in one of the "show off your rig" threads here....and I saved the photo. I would think it would be simple to make....find some nice shelving of your choice, and cut the support blocks to length depending on your height requirements, install some thread inserts into the shelving, some screws into the blocks, and voila. I like the idea. I might go with something like that in my office.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #5,627 of 7,847
Interesting listening session with my RAAL VM-1a + SR1a this morning. Today was the first time I was not really blown away.

I have a 20-year-old SONY SCD-1 SACD/CD player. It is considered a classic player, maybe the most famous, and it was modified by Vaccuum State to Level 5+ status. This mod made the SACD section of the 50+lb player sound incredible on my 2-channel speakers.

I have 2 SACD's (amongst many SACD's) that are amazing on this player. Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd and Caravanserai by Santana (MoFi pressing). The DSOTM is my best sounding music from all my sources. I sometimes feel that disks can sound better than streaming. A shorter path to the music.

On the VM-1a, using Pentode mode, I was getting some fatigue with both disks. So, I switched to Triode mode and that solved that issue. I never had this problem when I used my Benchmark DAC3B and love Pentode mode with the DAC3B.

The interesting thing with the VM-1a is that the magic of the SACD's do not come across like with the 2-channel speakers. I think the issue is that the 20-year-old SCD-1 is not as resolving as the DAC3B and the VM-1a shows me that. It could also be that the music sounds so massive on my speakers and that headphones cannot convey the scale I am used to. This particular issue of DSOTM is massive sounding and most recordings I hear on speakers are nothing like this one.

I hardly ever listen to Ultra Linear mode, but I am trying out DSOTM on it and it sounds really good. I still prefer the 2-channel but, UL mode seems like the best fit for the slightly warm SCD-1. Edit: UL mode is by far the best mode on the SCD-1, it is actually damn fine sounding. I just miss a bit of that massive scale I get on speakers with DSOTM SACD.

I also have the volume set very loud on the VM-1a compared to the DAC3B. The music is not that loud, but the SCD-1 does not sound loud, so I turned the volume up on the VM-1a. I also have the flaps on the SR1a wider out than normal. There is a lot of dense music coming out of the phones and it sounds better further out.

My take-away from this is that I will move my VM-1a to a little table besides my rack so that it is easier to get to the back XLR inputs. I will be using the SCD-1 as a regular source for the VM-1a along with my Benchmark DAC3B. The Ultra Linear mode + SCD-1 is kind of blowing my mind. It should be fun as a very late-night listen.

I actually now have some hope of using my Musetec 005 DAC with the VM-1a. I thought it was not as good as the Benchmark DAC3B on the VM-1a but maybe I should try the different modes. The 005 is not as bright as the DAC3B and the 005 is a great DAC on my speakers.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #5,628 of 7,847
I’m not Sage, but Aleksandr mentioned after months of making silver wires they had quite a few short silver scraps left over. Why not use them for internal wiring? It can’t hurt.
After 3+ years of production, and the introduction of our new TI-1a & TI-1b interface, it presented an opportunity to "refresh" the SR1. This included new grille to match the CA-1a grille (for family resemblance) and reconsider any other designs elements. Since acoustics and electronics of SR are still providing desired performance, wire was our remaining area of consideration. Having various lengths of silver, that are too short for cables but useful for shorter applications, this was a very practical upgrade.

Jul 2, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #5,629 of 7,847
After reading the information right here, if I didn't get it wrong, the Sr1a/b with TI-1a/b needs the OB Compensation to plug on the amp side before your rca/xlr cable plugged, is that correct?

If yes, if I use normal headphones, I need to unplug the OB Compensation barrel to listen to those..

Do you think it is a bit messy to change the plug every time if I want to switch the headphones? I saw someone built a switch on the speaker interface, but is it possible to build the OB Compensation barrel inside the TI-1a?
My RCA cable is a bit too clumsy to unplug and plug again just for adding the barrels on it, may I know anyone has this situation?

Also, I would like to know if anyone is using TI-1a with AIC10? Do you think the bass quantity is enough? I have tried with the speaker interface in the past with AIC10, but the sound is not satisfied.

Jul 2, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #5,630 of 7,847
After 3+ years of production, and the introduction of our new TI-1a & TI-1b interface, it presented an opportunity to "refresh" the SR1. This included new grille to match the CA-1a grille (for family resemblance) and reconsider any other designs elements. Since acoustics and electronics of SR are still providing desired performance, wire was our remaining area of consideration. Having various lengths of silver, that are too short for cables but useful for shorter applications, this was a very practical upgrade.
Also, may I know if using silver cable in the internal will make the bass less or not?

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #5,631 of 7,847
After reading the information right here, if I didn't get it wrong, the Sr1a/b with TI-1a/b needs the OB Compensation to plug on the amp side before your rca/xlr cable plugged, is that correct?

If yes, if I use normal headphones, I need to unplug the OB Compensation barrel to listen to those..

Do you think it is a bit messy to change the plug every time if I want to switch the headphones? I saw someone built a switch on the speaker interface, but is it possible to build the OB Compensation barrel inside the TI-1a?
My RCA cable is a bit too clumsy to unplug and plug again just for adding the barrels on it, may I know anyone has this situation?

Also, I would like to know if anyone is using TI-1a with AIC10? Do you think the bass quantity is enough? I have tried with the speaker interface in the past with AIC10, but the sound is not satisfied.
A couple of options come to mind. If your amp has multiple inputs, use one with the compensation barrels and select that input when listening to rhe Sr-1a/b. Another option would be if you listen to via a player such as Roon, you could build an EQ compensation curve that emulates the effective of the barrels, and invoke this curve when listening to thr Sr-1a/b.

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #5,632 of 7,847
Correct.
Not necessarily...
It was possible, but...all passive filters need to work with an exact and known load impedance.
In this case, that would be the impedance on the primary of the transformer, say 16 or 32 Ohms, so no problem there, until you try any other headphone cable but the one that comes in the set with the TI, as the change in the cable resistance at the secondary of transformer, will also change the primary impedance, so the filter will change the frequency and attenuation ratio.
Basically, it would be some other curve than desired.
Also, such filter would require large inductors, so for all those reasons it was never considered as an option, versus the elegance of a RC filtering at line-signal-level in a barrel adapter.

The idea was never to plug and unplug anything.
All amps and all DACs have at least two inputs and outputs, so use both at the same time.
Choose, for example, XLR input of the amp for the OB compensation, use an XLR cable from the DAC XLR output to that.
Use the other input (RCA) for regular connection from the RCA output of the DAC.
So, by switching the input selector, you are switching the SR1 OB compensation on or off.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Jul 2, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #5,633 of 7,847
Haven't heard anyone is using it by now, but the old resistor interface was on the borderline of being useful with AIC 10, because of lack of power.
However, with the TI at either 32 or 16 Ohms, AIC 10 will develop plenty of power, much more than needed.

Jul 2, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #5,634 of 7,847
Haven't heard anyone is using it by now, but the old resistor interface was on the borderline of being useful with AIC 10, because of lack of power.
However, with the TI at either 32 or 16 Ohms, AIC 10 will develop plenty of power, much more than needed.
Hi I can share that I am listening to the SR1a/TI1a with the Riviera Levante while waiting for my AIC 10 to be delivered. The Levante is the big brother speaker amp to the AIC 10 and I am using the normal Headphone jack - plenty of power, delightful sound, I catch myself listening much more often with the SR1a than the TC or Susvara.

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #5,635 of 7,847
The idea was never to plug and unplug anything.
All amps and all DACs have at least two inputs and outputs, so use both at the same time.
Choose, for example, XLR input of the amp for the OB compensation, use an XLR cable from the DAC XLR output to that.
Use the other input (RCA) for regular connection from the RCA output of the DAC.
So, by switching the input selector, you are switching the SR1 OB compensation on or off.
Thanks for this , although in my case it’s not applicable. I’m using a single ended tube pre-amp, with only RCA output, so no way to utilize XLR input on my amp. It wouldn’t be practical for me to plug and unplug the OB compensation barrel all the time. Thank God I have the old interface box, so if I decide to get the CA-1a in the future, I’d just use the old box with SR-1a and the TI-1b for CA-1a.

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #5,636 of 7,847
Thanks for this , although in my case it’s not applicable. I’m using a single ended tube pre-amp, with only RCA output, so no way to utilize XLR input on my amp. It wouldn’t be practical for me to plug and unplug the OB compensation barrel all the time. Thank God I have the old interface box, so if I decide to get the CA-1a in the future, I’d just use the old box with SR-1a and the TI-1b for CA-1a.
You're most welcome!
No difference, use it between DAC and preamp, then use the input selector on the preamp to switch the OB comp. on or off.
If the preamp doesn't have the XLR inputs, then split the RCA cable coming from the DAC to have two RCA outputs.
In any case, I wouldn't give up on solving the problem at a line signal level...

Last edited:

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #5,637 of 7,847
You're most welcome!
No difference, use it between DAC and preamp, then use the input selector on the preamp to switch the OB comp. on or off.
If the preamp doesn't have the XLR inputs, then split the RCA cable coming from the DAC to have two RCA outputs.
In any case, I wouldn't give up on solving the problem at a line signal level...
You’re correct, the preamp doesn’t have XLR input 😁 so maybe splitting the RCA cable would be the solution. I’m not sure whether it will affect sound quality though.

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #5,639 of 7,847
If you want to go from any XLR output to RCA, DO NOT drop the pin 3 to GND directly, but do it via 10-50K resistor.
That would be the case for driving two RCA inputs of your preamp from both XLR and RCA outputs of your DAC, or just use the RCA splitter.

Last edited:

Jul 3, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #5,640 of 7,847
If you want to go from any XLR output to RCA, DO NOT drop the pin 3 to GND directly, but do it via 10-50K resistor.
As a studio professional, working with balanced and single ended / unbalanced connections all the time, I‘m curious what‘s intended by this connection scheme?

Depending on the type of balanced output, this could work or not:

• With transformer coupled (“ungrounded balanced“) outputs no sense-full signal would reach the RCA.

• For servo balanced outputs, a symetrical load could make a little difference if it matches the input impedance of the following amp, but those are intended to be used with grounded cold pin when connected single ended / unbalanced.
You get 6 dB less level with your proposed way.

• For outputs that are not servo balanced, the cold pin should be left unconnected, the 10 KOhm wouldn’t hurt, but don’t change anything.

• For impedance-balanced / pseudo-balanced outputs, the 10 KOhm wouldn’t hurt, but don’t change anything, because cold pin doesn’t carry a signal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back