Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 26, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #5,596 of 7,882
Jun 26, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #5,597 of 7,882
While the RAAL website has not been updated I suspect that when the "Store" gets updated they will be offering replacement tubes.
It wouldn't hurt to contact RAAL in Serbia for a replacement. As the 6SN7 is the driver it may be the most important of all the tubes in the amp.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #5,598 of 7,882
Ready to order a "naked" CA-1a whenever. Were there any left over for those of us willing to be early adopters? I already got my TI-1a... :wink:
Yes, I believe we have two left from Chicago. You can order directly through email or call. Later this week, I expect to have them at our store on the website.
Thanks.

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #5,599 of 7,882
While the RAAL website has not been updated I suspect that when the "Store" gets updated they will be offering replacement tubes.
It wouldn't hurt to contact RAAL in Serbia for a replacement. As the 6SN7 is the driver it may be the most important of all the tubes in the amp.
All the tubes for VM are in Ventura, California.

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #5,600 of 7,882
Jun 26, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #5,601 of 7,882
Thanks for the link, but I am in EU. Post and Customs would be very high.
Yes, key-way (key-pin) can break off. This most often happens when the tube is misaligned (rotated slightly - off by one pin). When misaligned, it will break as it is being inserted or removed.
The center hole of the ceramic socket is just enough overly large to allow this to occur. In the manual, I was very careful to illustrate pin rotation pattern to hopefully avoid this. Sadly, it's still an easy to overlook detail.

Jun 26, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #5,603 of 7,882
I can confirm, that the amp is dead silent without the 6SN7.

Furthermore it broke at it's base by removing it. I wasn't forcing it, I have tube amps since a decade. The middle part just remaind in the tube socket. (It was inserted by me only once after I got it home). Since I doubt such issue is covered by guarentee, I hunt for a replacement tube and the GS3000e comes back....

45A8F6B8-EEC8-4726-893C-C8F42A25EDA0.jpeg
The center key-pin can be epoxied back. Just be sure to align. Should be fairly easy to align since the "broken star" pattern of plastic can be matched to the pattern left on the base. Using a high quality epoxy should make it very strong and good to have as a spare tube.

Jun 26, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #5,604 of 7,882
The center key-pin can be epoxied back. Just be sure to align. Should be fairly easy to align since the "broken star" pattern of plastic can be matched to the pattern left on the base. Using a high quality epoxy should make it very strong and good to have as a spare tube.
You mean the tube is not dead? I can find the aligment but I thought the tubes are gone...

Jun 27, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #5,607 of 7,882
Without checking, I can't say if it's good or bad. I suspect, it is still good. Usually, if the key-pin is broken, the tube still works because the envelop is still air-tight.
Understood. As I see, it is indeed still air-tight. What happens if I am mistaken and try it out in the amp?

(+ I ordered the NOS RCA, I hope the amp will have no noise with it.)

Jun 27, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #5,608 of 7,882
Understood. As I see, it is indeed still air-tight. What happens if I am mistaken and try it out in the amp?

(+ I ordered the NOS RCA, I hope the amp will have no noise with it.)
Nothing bad.
If the vacuum is gone the silver part will turn white, and the amp won’t play, that’s all.

Anyway, this tube seems to be noisy, so it’s not a big loss.
For glueing back the key-pin Cyanacrylate “Sekundenkleber“ works better.
Epoxy isn’t heat-resistive.
Make sure the glass-pin is NOT glued to the base, or it will break when inserting.

The tube does work without the key-pin too BTW, just make 100% sure to insert it in the correct orientation.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #5,609 of 7,882
Build quality and weapons grade polycarbonate. Driving a Mazda CX-30 forth and back over the headphone cup.
This was a significant risk! It was a good way to slash a tyre if the cup breaks!
Video is better, but I can post only GIF here:

20220620_162014.gif
Sold it to me, lol.

Jun 28, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #5,610 of 7,882
Nothing bad.
If the vacuum is gone the silver part will turn white, and the amp won’t play, that’s all.

Anyway, this tube seems to be noisy, so it’s not a big loss.
For glueing back the key-pin Cyanacrylate “Sekundenkleber“ works better.
Epoxy isn’t heat-resistive.
Make sure the glass-pin is NOT glued to the base, or it will break when inserting.

The tube does work without the key-pin too BTW, just make 100% sure to insert it in the correct orientation.
It works indeed, but the noise is clearly there. The new tubes are on way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back