Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 24, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #5,581 of 7,883
Yes, they haven't listed the VM-1a and CA-1a under amps and phones yet on the website. I figure they are busy getting the new products manufactured and shiped, the website can be updated later. RAAL fans, and I'm one of them, follow this thread and other mentions elsewhere with "focused attention" (LOL) and this is where the most up to the minute info is passed along to us.
Yes, we will be doing that shortly. Right now, this are getting announced on our "NEWS" section.
ah thanks very much man! that was some useful info indeed. had no idea the Deluxe cable would be included with the vm1a. the Raal website really needs some updating!
To clarify, the VM-1a does not come with a headphone cable. This is consistent with all our amps.

Recommended cables for VM-1a (when using SR1a or CA1a) are SR2 (soon to be renamed SC2) and our SR728 (7ft Silver) and SR1028 (10ft Silver).

SR2 (SC2) cable is included with the SR-1b (set), CA-1a (set), TI-1a and TI-1b interfaces. It can also be purchased separately. It is not included with SR-1a "Naked" or CA-1a "Naked" or any of our amps. Naked headphones are offered for anyone who already uses one of the two headphone models we currently make. That way, you don't have to buy anything you already own.

Best!

Jun 24, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #5,582 of 7,883
Aleksandar, in response to a query I made a while back regarding the VM-1a and RAAL's optional cables said;

"Correct, the amp will come with a "Deluxe" cable".

That one and the Studio Reference are the recommendations for VM-1a plus SR1a.

I have the "Deluxe", "Premium", and "Studio Reference" cables in addition to the Standard that came with my SR1a. The 3 optional ones I felt were better then the standard.

You buy the VM-1a and you get the "Deluxe" with it.
Sorry for our misstatement. The VM does not come with a cable. This is the case for all of our amps (headphone cable not included). Again, sorry for any confusion.

Best!

Jun 24, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #5,583 of 7,883
no idea on the resistance for the Danacable. I also see Moon Audio has their black and silver dragon offerings.

when I had the sr1a a while back, I had the 728 silver cable (simple white sticker stuck onto the xlr connector, prototype?); I guess that corresponds to the Studio Reference SR728 cable on the Raal website?

I notice the Studio Reference and Premium Ribbon cables are priced similarly. the descriptions on the site are a bit brief and vague. anyone have any further input or impressions on the premium ribbon cable?
The earliest SR728 cables were shipped prior to our receiving the printed shrink.

Yes, Star-67 and SR728 are (7ft) priced the same. Star-610 and SR1028 are (10ft) priced the same. All four are solid-core pure silver with Kapton dielectric. The difference being number of strands and geometry.

Jun 24, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #5,584 of 7,883
Aleksandar, in response to a query I made a while back regarding the VM-1a and RAAL's optional cables said;

"Correct, the amp will come with a "Deluxe" cable".

That one and the Studio Reference are the recommendations for VM-1a plus SR1a.

I have the "Deluxe", "Premium", and "Studio Reference" cables in addition to the Standard that came with my SR1a. The 3 optional ones I felt were better then the standard.

You buy the VM-1a and you get the "Deluxe" with it.
VM-1a does not come with a headphone cable. Please forgive our misstatement. None of our amps come with headphone cables or interconnect cables.

Jun 24, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #5,585 of 7,883
I have been doing some back and forth listening between my hsa-1b and my Tl box...the difference with my sr-1a is quite dramatic...the Tl box has a presentation more like a traditional headphone to my ears...the soundstage is wider left to right whereas the 1b presents more like an ear speaker with the soundstage more forward and in front of you...the Tl box is to my ears more tube like with more bass...I like them both and go back and forth

Jun 24, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #5,586 of 7,883
To clarify, the VM-1a does not come with a headphone cable. This is consistent with all our amps.

Recommended cables for VM-1a (when using SR1a or CA1a) are SR2 (soon to be renamed SC2) and our SR728 (7ft Silver) and SR1028 (10ft Silver).

SR2 (SC2) cable is included with the SR-1b (set), CA-1a (set), TI-1a and TI-1b interfaces. It can also be purchased separately. It is not included with SR-1a "Naked" or CA-1a "Naked" or any of our amps. Naked headphones are offered for anyone who already uses one of the two headphone models we currently make. That way, you don't have to buy anything you already own.

Best!
For JotR, our Deluxe and Premium Ribbon Star-67 (Silver) are the recommended for JotR. For VM, our new Standard Cable (SR2, soon to be renamed SC2) and the SR728 (Silver) and SR1028 (Silver) are best. Premium Ribbon Star-67 is listed on our site. Currently, none of our silver cables are available, due to issues in getting the proper silver. We are working on getting those back, as soon as possible.

Studio Reference SR728 and SR1028 are highly recommended for SR1a or b with VM.

Thanks very much for these posts and explanation! that really helped a lot! It is not often to find vendors who are as responsive and forthcoming with info on these forums as the Raal guys!

Jun 25, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #5,587 of 7,883
Yes, they haven't listed the VM-1a and CA-1a under amps and phones yet on the website. I figure they are busy getting the new products manufactured and shiped, the website can be updated later. RAAL fans, and I'm one of them, follow this thread and other mentions elsewhere with "focused attention" (LOL) and this is where the most up to the minute info is passed along to us.

Ready to order a "naked" CA-1a whenever. Were there any left over for those of us willing to be early adopters? I already got my TI-1a... :wink:

Jun 25, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #5,588 of 7,883
I knew I would find a good use for this stand:)

RAAL Stand.jpeg

Jun 25, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #5,589 of 7,883
Has anyone tried Moon-Audio's Silver Dragon Premium cables for the SR1a headphones? They seem MUCH CHEAPER and more affordable than RAAL Requisite's own cables. Also, RAAL is out of stock of all of their silver cables.

Jun 26, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #5,590 of 7,883
Thanks very much for these posts and explanation! that really helped a lot! It is not often to find vendors who are as responsive and forthcoming with info on these forums as the Raal guys!
Thank you for that! Alex and I have been so busy with shows and new products that I sometimes worry about missing a forum post! Thanks, again.

Jun 26, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #5,591 of 7,883
Has anyone tried Moon-Audio's Silver Dragon Premium cables for the SR1a headphones? They seem MUCH CHEAPER and more affordable than RAAL Requisite's own cables. Also, RAAL is out of stock of all of their silver cables.

I'll try to audition the Moon cable(s) for SR-1a & b and CA-1a. Moon is great to work with and one of our dealers. It would be good to test so we can make an informed recommendation.
Best!

Jun 26, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #5,593 of 7,883
I would like to clarify, it could be that the 6SN7 (front row, center tube) could be slightly noisy. It's the only tube that is common to both sides. Removing this tube (for testing) could be helpful in isolating the issue. It very likely, it will be dead quiet. If not, hiss would be further up-stream.
My VM hasn't arrived from Chicago, yet. When it does, I'll do some testing.
I can confirm, that the amp is dead silent without the 6SN7.

Furthermore it broke at it's base by removing it. I wasn't forcing it, I have tube amps since a decade. The middle part just remaind in the tube socket. (It was inserted by me only once after I got it home). Since I doubt such issue is covered by guarentee, I hunt for a replacement tube and the GS3000e comes back....

45A8F6B8-EEC8-4726-893C-C8F42A25EDA0.jpeg

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #5,594 of 7,883
Jun 26, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #5,595 of 7,883
That's a new manufacture Tung-Sol, should be no problem to replace. Not usual to have the keyway break off but it does happen.
Since tube amp doctor (where I usually buy tubes) does not have the Tung-Sol in stock, I thought about this:

https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/6sn7gtb-general-electric/usa-nos/nib

@SageM: any thoughts? Will it be OK?

GE? Depends on who you ask, LOL!
You could also try Tube Depot,

https://tubedepot.com/products/tung-sol-6sn7gt-new-production-preamp-vacuum-tube

Users who are viewing this thread

Back