Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Aug 23, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #4,426 of 7,898
Very nice description. I have considered getting a sub with the SR1a. Let's see.
I love the Raal SR1a with my EVO 400. The midrange is more meaty, "romantic," and the treble is tamed just enough, on the UL mode. If I am playing the SR1a for friends who are more treble-sensitive, I switch to the Triode mode, and the treble becomes *very* well-behaved while the rest of the strengths of the HP are retained, more or less. And on the May DAC - EVO 400 chain, I find that the SR1a has fuller bass.

Lastly, I enjoy the Sus on the EVO 400. I have relegated the Sus to laidback listening duty. With the EVO 400, the Sus becomes fuller, lusher, warmer, and perfect for days when I don't want to "rock out" or days I haven't slept well, lol. @number1sixerfan is right. The Sus does play well with the EVO 400, especially if you are looking for some laidback enjoyment.
Yep!

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #4,428 of 7,898
Aug 23, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #4,429 of 7,898
great review, the only thing I would change is the 4 1/2 stars to 5...

Aug 23, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #4,430 of 7,898
Very nice description. I have considered getting a sub with the SR1a. Let's see.
I like the REL woofers. With REL you drive it from speakers taps. Really, think of the SR1a as one the worlds best mini monitors and thier actually hanging on your head. All monitors need a subwoofer. What would have the Wilson Audio Watt been without it’s companion puppy? A sub woofer with SR1a is that puppy.

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #4,431 of 7,898
For my fellow RAAL enthusiasts. I am comparing 3 amps with the RAAL. The CODA #8, the Benchmark AHB2, and the brand new LSA Voyager 350 GAN amp (only 86 hours on my amp so far).

https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/lsa-electronics

The Coda #8 and AHB2 are incredible with the Accurate Sound Convolution filter. For the AHB2 this filter is essential. However, with the Voyager I found it approaches the level of the other 2 without the filter. The Voyager is $3K and I traded-in my old Class D amp for it. If you are looking for a RAAL amp give it a try, highly recommended.

I have the LSA GaN 350 amp on order. I will try the Raal Sr1a with it, but I am secretly hoping it sounds great with Abyss TC :)

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #4,432 of 7,898
I have the LSA GaN 350 amp on order. I will try the Raal Sr1a with it, but I am secretly hoping it sounds great with Abyss TC :)
My CODA #8 amp has power meters. When I play it at my comfortable volume level with my floor standing speakers, the meter needle hardly moves. When I move the amp to the RAAL SR1a, the needle jumps around a lot more at the same volume. I interpret that as the RAAL sucking up more more power from the amp.

I observed to have gotten better sound on the RAAL SR1a when I had a lots of power

- 2 Benchmark AHB2s was better than a single stereo AHB2 (the AHB2s can be made to sound excellent with the RAAL but it is a bit of work)
- D-Sonic M3a 800s with 400 watts at 8 Ohm (traded-in for the LSA Voyager, but very nice with the RAAL)
- KRELL K-300i (my current RAAL amp, the bass on this really matches the bass needs of the RAAL)
- CODA #8 (incredible with the RAAL)
- LSA Voyager 350 GAN (I like it only with the RAAL CONVOLUTION filter disabled)

There is a good chance I sell the Voyager because I like the KRELL with the SR1a over the Voyager. Voyager is a very good amp and I am going to get some mods done on it before deciding whether to sell.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #4,433 of 7,898
- 2 Benchmark AHB2s was better than a single stereo AHB2 (the AHB2s can be made to sound excellent with the RAAL but it is a bit of work)
- D-Sonic M3a 800s with 400 watts at 8 Ohm (traded-in for the LSA Voyager, but very nice with the RAAL)
- KRELL K-300i (my current RAAL amp, the bass on this really matches the bass needs of the RAAL)
- CODA #8 (incredible with the RAAL)
- LSA Voyager 350 GAN (I like it only with the RAAL CONVOLUTION filter disabled)

There is a good chance I sell the Voyager because I like the KRELL with the SR1a over the Voyager. Voyager is a very good amp and I am going to get some mods done on it before deciding whether to sell.

I just prefer my sound without ANY convolution filters or EQ's, speakers or headphones. LSA GaN 350 is fully differential balanced. What source were you running into LSA?

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #4,434 of 7,898
I just prefer my sound without ANY convolution filters or EQ's, speakers or headphones. LSA GaN 350 is fully differential balanced. What source were you running into LSA?
You just need Doug to build you a custom Bridgeport direct-drive.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #4,435 of 7,898
I am using the Accurate Sound Convolution file for the RAAL which seems to tweak the sound a bit.

I have a Convolution file for my Thiel CS3.7 floor stander in a small room with me sitting off centre. This filter has a huge effect of the sound.

I do most of my listening with ROON. However, I do have an old Sony SCD-1 SACD player and a good FM tuner. For my ROON source I used the Convolution filter. I have 2 DACs, the Benchmark DA3B and the Gustard X26 Pro. They are streamed music from my ROON server using Sonore OpticalRendu (2 of them). My preamp is the CODA 07x. The preamp made a huge difference in the quality of the sound on the RAAL. The warm-ish 07x preamp was a perfect match for the bright RAAL SR1a.

The CODA 07x has 2 sets of XLR outputs to amps. So I can have 2 amps connected at the same time to 2 sets of speakers. The CODA #8 amp for my Thiel CS3.7 floorstanders and the LSA Voyager for the RAAL.. Though the Voyager may be sold if do not use it much now that I have the KRELL back in the house.

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #4,436 of 7,898
Not sure this is the right spot, but after reading @dill3000 's review I got to wondering about headphones that demand the power of speaker amps. I have a Luxman R-117 as my main speaker amp; in the case of something like these RAALs, would I just connect the headphone cables (bare wire or banana adapter, whatever) to the speaker jacks on the back of the Luxman, and basically use the RAALs like they're a 2nd set of speakers?

Headphone stuff for me still exists in a world of headamps and 2.5mm/3.5mm/1/4"/XLR jacks, so thanks in advance for increasing my limited knowledge.

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #4,437 of 7,898
I have a Luxman R-117 as my main speaker amp; in the case of something like these RAALs, would I just connect the headphone cables (bare wire or banana adapter, whatever) to the speaker jacks on the back of the Luxman, and basically use the RAALs like they're a 2nd set of speakers?

No.

You need an impedance adapter, which is what the SR1a's "Ribbon/Amp Interface" is (included with the set, unless you specify otherwise). This allows the speaker amplifier to see a more reasonable load (about 5.6 ohms) vs. the 0.2 ohms that is the natural impedance of the SR1a themselves. Without that you're likely to trip the output protection on your amplifier and have it shutdown (and if it's not protected, it may just fail). Some amplifiers can manage that load, especially if they have higher internal impedances themselves, but they're not that common anymore.

Also, that interface applies a frequency compensation curve to the response of the SR1a, without which they would be excessively bright.

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #4,439 of 7,898
bumping in case you missed my question
@Sajid Amit how are you feeling about the primaluna evo 400 compared to the 200 with the sr1a? if i'm not wrong your forum signature had the 200 at first, so i assume you upgraded unless i am mistaken or it was a typo. i enjoy my jotunheim r for now, but i am looking for an upgrade eventually

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #4,440 of 7,898
bumping in case you missed my question
Hi. Sorry, did miss your question. Thanks for following up.

The EVO 200 was very good with the SR1a. Surprisingly good, in fact, given the lower power ratings. While the treble clarity was retained, the Sr1a’s mids become more pronounced and bass was fuller. The SR1a became more “musical” and I almost stopped listening to my Susvaras.

Coming to the EVO 400, it is a hair faster than the 200 (not to say this is better or worse, just different, since the SR1a is blazing fast on both). The triode mode on the 400 sounds more laidback than the 200. Meanwhile, the UL mode sounds more neutral and “linear” than the 200. So in a sense, the 400 gives you more options. And the 400 also has those subwoofer outs.

Oh, and the 400 throws a deeper stage than the 200, while being similarly wide.

Yes, I did own the 200 earlier. I liked the 200 so much that I wanted to upgrade to their most powerful and versatile amp, and I got a great deal on the upgrade.

But honestly, if you would rather not spend on the EVO 400, you will be quite pleased with the 200.

I preferred the EVO 200 to several higher powered speaker amps and even monoblock setups, for the sake of context.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back