Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Sep 2, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #4,456 of 7,882
I'm in this super awkward zone of deciding between selling them versus going even deeper down the rabbit hole and trying to pick up a PrimaLuna EVO 400 somewhere. @Sajid Amit - did you get the integrated PL EVO 400, or just the power amp? If the latter, what did you use as a preamp?
Exactly how I'm feeling. Should I go deeper into the rabbit hole, make my wallet much lighter, while not knowing what prospects it will bring.
If someone told me all of that before buying, I would not have ordered the SR1a in the first place... but now that I am there, I enjoy it very much and will keep this weird hybrid system a while since no circumaural headphones will surpass it.

An other thing, I am interested in your feedback regaring soundstage, 3D imaging and holography when using your Chord Dave versus the RME ADI-2. I hope you will be able to try and compare.
I do feel the RME is a touch warmer and smoother than the DAVE, which presents all details relentlessly. I have to admit the SR1a is the most detailed "headphones" I've ever heard and a recording's flaws easily stood out. The DAVE just separates out every ounce of detail and presents it in a way that's very obvious to a listener, while the RME can muddy up the details at times.

I'm also experiencing bottoming out on the drivers. Is it due to bad recording or my amp? I'm not sure, but I'm not in a position to invest further. I have no idea why but the right drivers seem to bottom out quicker than the left driver. Examining the ribbons themselves there are two slight depressions on the right ribbon, but Raal said the ribbons are most likely fine. I did switch the ribbons from right to left in curiosity and now the left ear bottomed out quicker, so Raal told me I might well have blown these. (I thought the ribbons are identical left & right but I might be wrong)

So I guess I can't return these and have to sell them at a large loss.

1630583370584.png

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #4,457 of 7,882
Exactly how I'm feeling. Should I go deeper into the rabbit hole, make my wallet much lighter, while not knowing what prospects it will bring.

I do feel the RME is a touch warmer and smoother than the DAVE, which presents all details relentlessly. I have to admit the SR1a is the most detailed "headphones" I've ever heard and a recording's flaws easily stood out. The DAVE just separates out every ounce of detail and presents it in a way that's very obvious to a listener, while the RME can muddy up the details at times.

I'm also experiencing bottoming out on the drivers. Is it due to bad recording or my amp? I'm not sure, but I'm not in a position to invest further. I have no idea why but the right drivers seem to bottom out quicker than the left driver. Examining the ribbons themselves there are two slight depressions on the right ribbon, but Raal said the ribbons are most likely fine. I did switch the ribbons from right to left in curiosity and now the left ear bottomed out quicker, so Raal told me I might well have blown these. (I thought the ribbons are identical left & right but I might be wrong)

1630583370584.png
New drivers are user switchable, and only $350 / pair (I forget what a single is). Not bad for this expensive a headphone. You can order directly from Raal.

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #4,458 of 7,882
I also have separate libraries for the SR1a and the TC, so I am almost always consciously playing to the SR1a’s strengths.

This is exactly what I do as well. I had an AKG K1000 playlist for the same reason and have repurposed it for the Raal. Acoustic, jazz, anything vocal heavy, excludes anything bass heavy, etc.. and that's where the Raal can really shine.

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #4,459 of 7,882
I follow this thread with interest even if I no longer own the Raal - I think these are one of the greatest headphones ever made, but they come with 1 major flaw that makes them a challenge and thought process before acquiring.

For anybody on the fence and worried about their source gear not being up to snuff, or concerned these might be thin - you're probably right and will have to do more research or ideally try and find somewhere to sample them. Otherwise you will not experience the true potential of this product and necessarily come out a bit disappointed.

SR1a sounded sublime for me off Holo KTE (quite warm DAC) + KRELL KSA150 power amp (quite warm amp); very good with Bryston B135sst2 ("neutral") and quite mediocre with the Jot A (bright, thin, artificial and with a lot of dynamic compression).

It takes quality gear for these to shine. My bottleneck was without a doubt my DAC, even if it's no slouch. The Raal exposes it. I truly think it takes $ to play with these headphones, and a Treble Shelf drop is quite beneficial.

Regretting have sold the Raal, I acquired an Audeze LCD-R because I missed that Ribbon sound. Truthfully, the R are not actual ribbons, but they do share very similar sound characteristics to the Raal due to the high trace coverage and low impedance.

The LCD-R might just be my favorite headphone I've heard to date; calling it a hybrid of Susvara and SR1a is actually quite a fair statement - however its identity is a bit more confused than either of the HiFiMAN or Raal.

Due to this, I can confirm being a fan of ribbons, my speakers are Ribbon (Raidho) and I very much look forward to Raal's next more conventional headphone using actual ribbons (as opposed to the LCD-R). The challenge will remain getting adequate bass reproduction, something the LCD-R does pretty well.

Also, I am not using the JOT A with LCD-R either, as again, there is an immediate feeling of hardness, compression and artificial etch.

@Roasty I should never have traded my Raal for your Verite lol! It's not even in a comparable tier aha. But I'm happy I got to finally hear what all the fuss was about - great timbre and super warm :)

Cheers all,

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 2, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #4,461 of 7,882

Looks like the ribbon is touching the housing at left side.
There should be a gap on both sides, else it scratches on the side.

If that‘s true and not a result of photographic perspective, you could try very, very carefully to bend the ribbon back to center.
On the ribbon’s right side, close to the end of the ribbon, slightly increase the depth of a fold, this pulls the ribbon to the right.

This is a very delicate affair, and one false move can rip the ribbon, be careful.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #4,462 of 7,882
I follow this thread with interest even if I no longer own the Raal - I think these are one of the greatest headphones ever made, but they come with 1 major flaw that makes them a challenge and thought process before acquiring.

For anybody on the fence and worried about their source gear not being up to snuff, or concerned these might be thin - you're probably right and will have to do more research or ideally try and find somewhere to sample them. Otherwise you will not experience the true potential of this product and necessarily come out a bit disappointed.

SR1a sounded sublime for me off Holo KTE (quite warm DAC) + KRELL KSA150 power amp (quite warm amp); very good with Bryston B135sst2 ("neutral") and quite mediocre with the Jot A (bright, thin, artificial and with a lot of dynamic compression).

It takes quality gear for these to shine. My bottleneck was without a doubt my DAC, even if it's no slouch. The Raal exposes it. I truly think it takes $ to play with these headphones, and a Treble Shelf drop is quite beneficial.

Regretting have sold the Raal, I acquired an Audeze LCD-R because I missed that Ribbon sound. Truthfully, the R are not actual ribbons, but they do share very similar sound characteristics to the Raal due to the high trace coverage and low impedance.

The LCD-R might just be my favorite headphone I've heard to date; calling it a hybrid of Susvara and SR1a is actually quite a fair statement - however its identity is a bit more confused than either of the HiFiMAN or Raal.

Due to this, I can confirm being a fan of ribbons, my speakers are Ribbon (Raidho) and I very much look forward to Raal's next more conventional headphone using actual ribbons (as opposed to the LCD-R). The challenge will remain getting adequate bass reproduction, something the LCD-R does pretty well.

Also, I am not using the JOT A with LCD-R either, as again, there is an immediate feeling of hardness, compression and artificial etch.

@Roasty I should never have traded my Raal for your Verite lol! It's not even in a comparable tier aha. But I'm happy I got to finally hear what all the fuss was about - great timbre and super warm :)

Cheers all,

Lol!

How's the Lcd R bass compared to the SR1a?

Sep 7, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #4,463 of 7,882

Cheers all,

LCDR is not a ribbon? Then what is it ?

Sep 7, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #4,465 of 7,882
Curious what you're using to power your LCD-R?
A Bryston B135sst2
Lol!

How's the Lcd R bass compared to the SR1a?
Quite a bit better. The bass is very nicely done actually, very similar to Susvara but with less slam in the sub bass, and a bit less tactility/texture. Bass guitar sounds slightly fuller on LCD-R, so more 150hz-250hz presence to my ears.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 8, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #4,466 of 7,882
I'm aware this has been mentioned a few times but wanted to share anyways.

I recently got some time to get subwoofer integration locked in. With individual digital EQs on both the SR1a and sub, connecting the sub directly to the DAC and opening up the flaps on the RAAL to near full excursion, I've doubled the soundstage size while retaining the benefits of HPs. The advantages in bass don't need explaining.

Every session these past few weeks, without exception, I've needed to take off the RAAL to see if my monitors are on. The array of adjustments that enabled this just isn't available on circumaurals. Worth exploring further for anyone who hasn't.

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #4,467 of 7,882

I recently got some time to get subwoofer integration locked in. With individual digital EQs on both the SR1a and sub, connecting the sub directly to the DAC and opening up the flaps on the RAAL to near full excursion, I've doubled the soundstage size while retaining the benefits of HPs. The advantages in bass don't need explaining.

Every session these past few weeks, without exception, I've needed to take off the RAAL to see if my monitors are on. The array of adjustments that enabled this just isn't available on circumaurals. Worth exploring further for anyone who hasn't.

What frequency is your sub crossed at ?

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #4,468 of 7,882

You subwoofer people are killing me. I've been desperately trying to avoid this route, as I need to then get a speaker amp and a sub, which I do not have, but it sounds like it would be an amazing combination...

@Shahrose - How are you connecting the sub directly to your DAC? If I could somehow do this experiment without having to buy a speaker amp and use my JotR, that would make it more palatable.

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #4,469 of 7,882

Gonna try a KEF Kube 12b on Sunday, finally, hopefully.

I have considered subs as you know but this post convinced me to persuade my dealer to arrange a home demo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back