Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 8, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #4,216 of 7,885
The HSA-1b is a little richer/more "liquid" (particularly in the midrange) and delivers more "tonal weight", with a smoother top-end, where as the AHB2 was a little "dry", leant towards a "lean(er)" presentation but felt a hair "faster" (which is really more down to leaner presentation I think).

I'd actually take the Jotunheim R over the AHB2, even if they were the same price.

The MA252, while a nice tone, was activating its protection with some music at enthusiastic levels. Tone was lovely. The MA352 had no such issues, a similar tone, better detail and is a much better match (as well as having the classic McIntosh Vue Meters) - I liked it a lot and it is definitely worth a try.
Thanks! That helps a lot.

Last Q:

Which would you prefer? MA352 or the HSA-1b? 🙂

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #4,218 of 7,885
Jul 8, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #4,219 of 7,885
My silver Raal cable arrived today. I expected it to be an improvement, but I wasn’t sure how. Somehow, and it doesn’t make sense, but the sr1as have even more clarity now than with the stock cable. It’s like the resolution has increased (and it was very high already with the stock cable).

So far, I’m happy with the silver cable. Things sound smoother too I think, but I’m still adjusting to the new sound.

I should have bought the cable sooner. If you’re on the fence, I say go for it :L3000:

Congratulations! It's a brilliant cable IMO and the perfect finishing touch to the SR1a/HSA-1b combo!

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #4,220 of 7,885
The AHB2 is not ideal with the SR1a in stock form. I tried a lot of gear with the SR1.An all Benchmark stack was too truthful for the SR1a. I got some fatigue after about an hour of listening. Other amps were better in stock form, KRELL K-300i, CODA CSib, D-Sonic M3a 800s. However, when Acurate Sounds Convolution filter was used with the AHB2 everything changed. The AHB2 became my favourite amp for the SR1a.

I did replace the Benchmark HPA4 preamp and DAC3B with the CODA 07x preamp and Gustard X26 Pro DAC. However, even with the all Benchmark stack + Convolution filter the fatigue issue disappeared. The Convolution filter also made the differences between the HPA4 preamp and CODA 07x preamps | DAC3B and Gustard X26 Pro very minor. Without the Convolution filter the CODA 07x preamp and Gustard X26 Pro DAC were a much better pairing for the SR1a.

At the moment I am using my AHB2 with my floor standers but I am going to be getting delivery of an new amp for the floor standers (CODA #8) and the AHB2's will go back with the SR1a.

Jul 9, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #4,221 of 7,885
I should probably add to my last comment ...

While I prefer the HSA-1b over the MA352 with the SR1a, and think the RAAL amp is a much better match for headphone-biased listening, the majority of my SR1a head-time isn't spent with the HSA-1b. The HSA-1b remains the best way I've heard the SR1a driven for anywhere close to its cost (I have not tried Mitch's convolution filters yet; though I have used my own). It can be bettered, in my opinion - though at a fairly high cost (it took a Chord Ultima 6 to do it, and I went with the Ultima 5 as that was even better).

So as much as I enjoy the HSA-1b, it is currently being used on my desktop rather than in my main rig. And there it is doing triple duty, driving both the SR1a and conventional cans, and the speaker outputs are feeding an iFi Pro iESL to drive electrostatics (where it works very well):

eStat QnD (1024).jpg

A bit off-topic, sure, but something to consider for those that want to run multiple driver technologies and not completely break the bank.

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #4,222 of 7,885

While I prefer the HSA-1b over the MA352 with the SR1a, and think the RAAL amp is a much better match for headphone-biased listening, the majority of my SR1a head-time isn't spent with the HSA-1b. The HSA-1b remains the best way I've heard the SR1a driven for anywhere close to its cost (I have not tried Mitch's convolution filters yet; though I have used my own). It can be bettered, in my opinion - though at a fairly high cost (it took a Chord Ultima 6 to do it, and I went with the Ultima 5 as that was even better).

So as much as I enjoy the HSA-1b, it is currently being used on my desktop rather than in my main rig. And there it is doing triple duty, driving both the SR1a and conventional cans, and the speaker outputs are feeding an iFi Pro iESL to drive electrostatics (where it works very well):

eStat QnD (1024).jpg

A bit off-topic, sure, but something to consider for those that want to run multiple driver technologies and not completely break the bank.
Sure. That's a good suggestion.

I have tried the Raal recently on a variety of tube integrated amps and speaker amps, and the tonality changes considerably from one to another, and I have no doubt that the HSA1b can be bested by a TOTL speaker amp.

It sounds quite amazing on my Accuphase e380. But it was quite wonderful how the sound changed on the Primaluna EVO 400 integrated, with a lot more midrange forwardness relative to the treble.

Thanks @Torq

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #4,223 of 7,885
how the sound changed on the Primaluna EVO 400 integrated, with a lot more midrange forwardness relative to the treble.
Sajid, is this with UL or triode mode?

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #4,225 of 7,885
I prefer it in the UL mode but sounds good on both.
That sounds encouraging. So which one do you prefer, the Accuphase or Evo 400? On paper, the Evo 400 integrated power output is less than the recommended 100 wpc, so I guess watts per channel is not the only factor at play here. It’s similar to my Bakoon, which on paper it should be underpowered but sounds really beautiful to my ears.

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #4,226 of 7,885
With the Raal, I much prefer tube integrated amps (thus far). The midrange becomes rather fantastic. The Primaluna EVO 400 and the Raal was a solid combination. The Raal sounds good even off my EVO 200, which was surprising.

For context, with my TC or the Susvara, the EVO 200 or the 400 wasn't particularly memorable.

Meanwhile, the Accuphase is a very dynamic amp. When A/B-ing the Accuphase and the Pass Labs XA25, using the Susvara, the Susvara became a tad too laidback on the XA25, but relatively more dynamic, punchy, and analytical on the Accuphase, which is perfect for the Susvara, IMO.

I also love the TC on the Accuphase when playing metal (or anything really, increasingly).

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #4,227 of 7,885
With the Raal, I much prefer tube integrated amps (thus far). The midrange becomes rather fantastic. The Primaluna EVO 400 and the Raal was a surprisingly good combination. The Raal sounds good even off my EVO 200, which was surprising.

For context, with my TC or the Susvara, the EVO 200 or the 400 wasn't particularly memorable.

Meanwhile, the Accuphase is a very dynamic amp. When A/B-ing the Accuphase and the Pass Labs XA25, using the Susvara, the Susvara became a tad too laidback on the XA25, but relatively more dynamic, punchy, and analytical on the Accuphase, which is perfect for the Susvara, IMO.

I also love the TC on the Accuphase when playing metal (or anything really, increasingly).
Thanks Sajid. That’s really helpful. I’m planning to get Evo 300/400 preamp but sadly it’s very difficult to get one in my country. I might have to resort to other tube preamps (still waiting for some news though).

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #4,228 of 7,885
With the Raal, I much prefer tube integrated amps (thus far). The midrange becomes rather fantastic. The Primaluna EVO 400 and the Raal was a surprisingly good combination. The Raal sounds good even off my EVO 200, which was surprising.

Yep, the EVO 400 is a good match thru the interface with my SR1a.

Jul 9, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #4,229 of 7,885

eStat QnD (1024).jpg

Wow. I wasn't thinking of the HSA-1b as a do all amp. This is excellent insight.

I see a set of SR007 there. How well does it drive those? I have found them hard to drive on Stax's own lesser amps.

Jul 9, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #4,230 of 7,885
Wow. I wasn't thinking of the HSA-1b as a do all amp. This is excellent insight.

I see a set of SR007 there. How well does it drive those? I have found them hard to drive on Stax's own lesser amps.
He's not driving the Stax directly from HSA-1b, be aware. He is using speaker ouputs of the Raal amp, into the iFi iESL energizer, which is a smart solution indeed :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back