Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 9, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #4,231 of 7,888
I see a set of SR007 there. How well does it drive those? I have found them hard to drive on Stax's own lesser amps.

In that configuration, pretty well - if it is setup right (see below). Better than any other energizer I've heard. And better than when feeding the Pro iESL via the Pro iCAN.

With the SR-007 MK2 in that setup you'd need to set the HSA-1b's input-level attenuation to 0 dB, run the Pro iESL on its 24 ohm (64x gain) setting, and then set the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE's output reference level to +13 dBu and connect via XLR. That puts the volume dial in the middle for my normal listening.

If you used a normal consumer-level output via RCA into the HSA-1b there, then getting sufficient volume would be an issue. With XLR you'd have more headroom, but quieter recordings (or those that haven't been loudness-squashed) could still mean you need to push towards the end of the volume range.

With the SR-009S, which I also have, you'd have more leeway, and could run a normal level output into the HSA-1b and still have headroom on the dial.

Both configurations will play cleanly, and louder than I care to listen, but again with the SR-007 MK2 that is predicated on balanced-input from the RME set at +13 dBU.

Jul 9, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #4,233 of 7,888
He's not driving the Stax directly from HSA-1b, be aware. He is using speaker ouputs of the Raal amp, into the iFi iESL energizer, which is a smart solution indeed :)
Speaking of which, I don’t think I have ever read Torq’s impressions on the Stax 007 mk2 /009s viz.a.viz the Sr1a, in general.

For starters, how is the 007 mk2 / 009s compared to the Sr1a on this particular setup, @Torq?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #4,234 of 7,888
Sure. That's a good suggestion.

I have tried the Raal recently on a variety of tube integrated amps and speaker amps, and the tonality changes considerably from one to another, and I have no doubt that the HSA1b can be bested by a TOTL speaker amp.

It sounds quite amazing on my Accuphase e380. But it was quite wonderful how the sound changed on the Primaluna EVO 400 integrated, with a lot more midrange forwardness relative to the treble.

Thanks @Torq
Which suggests/proves that the Raal's are not only quite revealing of the recording, but also what is placed in front of it. While I know some don't care for listening to their music with warts and all, I thoroughly embrace and welcome it. Which I guess is why I've never really owned a bunch of different cans at the same time, and hopped from one to another depending on my mood. Once I find the headphone most revealing of the recording and the components upstream of it, I tend to give it 100% of my listening time. This has definitely been the case with the Sr1a.

Jul 9, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #4,235 of 7,888
Speaking of which, I don’t think I have ever read Torq’s impressions on the Stax 007 mk2 /009s viz.a.viz the Sr1a, in general.

For starters, how is the 007 mk2 / 009s compared to the Sr1a on this particular setup, @Torq?

Assuming we’re talking purely out of this specific chain

Tonally, especially if you like your bass elevated (or at least tend to listen to more bass-emphatic genres), the SR-007 MK2 are likely to be a better fit, for a broader array of listeners; they clearly play lower and more linearly than the RAALs. Otherwise, the SR1a take it fairly easily. Detail/resolution, micro-dynamics and macro-dynamic impact clearly favor the SR1a here. And of course, the staging, and possibility of actual depth-wise spatialization from the SR1a are something the STAX cans won’t do.

The SR-009S gains a little over their normal bass-presentation, but I would say end up largely neutral. They still go deeper and cleaner in the lower registers than the SR1a, and gain a bit of low-end oomph there vs. how they tend to sound out of dedicated electrostatic amplifiers. Detail is now closer, but a proper electrostatic amplifier would be needed to bring the 009S inline with what the SR1a does here. Stage/imaging still heavily favors the SR1a. I’d say the SR1a maintain an edge overall, deeper-bass-excepted.

The Pro iESL adds some flavor of its own. Mostly a little more richness in the mids, which is on top of the HSA-1b’s already richer mid-range. It's a very compelling delivery, especially for female vocals.

I wouldn’t consider this the best way to compare the SR1a to the STAX cans. They deserve a proper electrostatic amplifier to do them full justice - at which point it’d likely come down to preferences and music selection more than anything else. But it was something I wanted to try, could do so (relatively) inexpensively (already had the HSA-1b and SR1a of course), and turns out to be more than good enough that I’d do this rather than forego the STAX stuff entirely (if I had to choose).

As it turns out, it has proven to be enough of a “gateway drug”, that I will be ordering a BHSE on Monday (and a KGHVSS Carbon CC when they’re available again), to keep, and more appropriately drive, both the 007MK2 and 009S in my rig.

Jul 9, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #4,236 of 7,888
Assuming we’re talking purely out of this specific chain

Tonally, especially if you like your bass elevated (or at least tend to listen to more bass-emphatic genres), the SR-007 MK2 are likely to be a better fit, for a broader array of listeners; they clearly play lower and more linearly than the RAALs. Otherwise, the SR1a take it fairly easily. Detail/resolution, micro-dynamics and macro-dynamic impact clearly favor the SR1a here. And of course, the staging, and possibility of actual depth-wise spatialization from the SR1a are something the STAX cans won’t do.

The SR-009S gains a little over their normal bass-presentation, but I would say end up largely neutral. They still go deeper and cleaner in the lower registers than the SR1a, and gain a bit of low-end oomph there vs. how they tend to sound out of dedicated electrostatic amplifiers. Detail is now closer, but a proper electrostatic amplifier would be needed to bring the 009S inline with what the SR1a does here. Stage/imaging still heavily favors the SR1a. I’d say the SR1a maintain an edge overall, deeper-bass-excepted.

The Pro iESL adds some flavor of its own. Mostly a little more richness in the mids, which is on top of the HSA-1b’s already richer mid-range. It's a very compelling delivery, especially for female vocals.

I wouldn’t consider this the best way to compare the SR1a to the STAX cans. They deserve a proper electrostatic amplifier to do them full justice - at which point it’d likely come down to preferences and music selection more than anything else. But it was something I wanted to try, could do so (relatively) inexpensively (already had the HSA-1b and SR1a of course), and turns out to be more than good enough that I’d do this rather than forego the STAX stuff entirely (if I had to choose).

As it turns out, it has proven to be enough of a “gateway drug”, that I will be ordering a BHSE on Monday (and a KGHVSS Carbon CC when they’re available again), to keep, and more appropriately drive, both the 007MK2 and 009S in my rig.
Awesome. Thanks. Enjoyed reading.

Jul 9, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #4,237 of 7,888
He's not driving the Stax directly from HSA-1b, be aware. He is using speaker ouputs of the Raal amp, into the iFi iESL energizer, which is a smart solution indeed :)
Yup, aware of the fact that the iesl is just an Energizer and will be required in addition to the HSA1b or another amp. I looked into the iESL but opted for the Woo Wes - bought it from one of the folks here actually.

That amp drives the SR007 beautifully but sounds a little too smooth for my taste.

Thanks for the clarification nevertheless.

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #4,239 of 7,888
Speed of response to attack and decay is one of the key reasons I've been waiting for a ribbon based HP since I got started with HP's in 2016. Electrostatics have similar capabilities. In my experience the planar magnetic drivers come in 2nd and dynamic drivers 3rd, but, they excel when it comes to the deepest bass with the music I listen to most. And, I have no issue with using a little analog EQ with the ribbons to suit the recorded quality of my source material. It doesn't result in the same "grunt" at the very bottom that planar's and dynamic's but it does make for a more satisfy listen in many cases. It's always about compromises, so far, that's why I have at least 2 or 3 of different driver type on hand.

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #4,240 of 7,888
For people that have used speaker amps, have there been any in particular that you loved with the Raal, but that you also enjoyed with other headphones you have? I'm ready to purchase, but reading up on as many amps as I can.. it's been really hard to land on an amp I think would suffice for the Raal, TC and Susvara. That's the main goal. That plus the supply issues are making it a bit tough. So I'm mainly looking used at this point.

For the Raal, I'd like a touch more body and improved bass. For the TC, I need something a bit more forward to account for the slightly recessed mids and maybe a hint of warmth, and for the Susvara I'm largely good with it maintaining it's exact organic signature.

So I guess I'm looking for something with a slight bit of warmth, with exceptional bass. I've been looking at Bryston, Pass Labs (x150.8), McIntosh, Chord Etude, Moon Audio and a few others. I know a lot of ppl like amp rolling, but I don't lol.. amps sell slower, are a pain to box up and do so, so I'm looking to try one or maybe two amps and keep one and be done with it. Any insight is appreciated :)

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #4,241 of 7,888
For people that have used speaker amps, have there been any in particular that you loved with the Raal, but that you also enjoyed with other headphones you have? I'm ready to purchase, but reading up on as many amps as I can.. it's been really hard to land on an amp I think would suffice for the Raal, TC and Susvara. That's the main goal. That plus the supply issues are making it a bit tough. So I'm mainly looking used at this point.

For the Raal, I'd like a touch more body and improved bass. For the TC, I need something a bit more forward to account for the slightly recessed mids and maybe a hint of warmth, and for the Susvara I'm largely good with it maintaining it's exact organic signature.
Well, up until recently I had the SR1a, and I had two speaker amps to try it with.

Bryston B135sst2: To me this amp has almost no color, and bottomless bass extension. It sounds incredible with Susvara, and drives the Raal wonderfully, albeit it definitely being an analytical listen. With some EQ though, Raal sounded fantastic and toe-tapping regardless.

Krell KSA-150: This amp is a bit older, and a behemoth. It's super dynamic and warm, almost sounds like a tube amp in a way. Bass is very textured and has great weight. High frequencies are definitely rolled off vs Bryston, but there is no veil. It sounds more musical and fun with both Susvara and Raal, but less technically proficient than the Bryston. Truth be told, these headphones are so resolving and detailed, and unlike speakers, right up against your ears - you necessarily need to add some warmth in your chain whether it be with your DAC or amp.

I ended up not keeping the Krell despite probably having more enjoyment with it. At the end of the day, I am a technical listener and my speakers sounded best with the Bryston by far.

My dac, Holo Spring KTE is also "Sweet" sounding with a midbass hump/ warmth.
- Paired up with Bryston i'd say Susvara sound almost dead neutral, otherwise neutral-warm with Krell.
- Paired up with Bryston i'd say Raal sound neutral-bright, otherwise neutral-forward with a bass bump with Krell (W-shape response).

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 13, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #4,242 of 7,888

So I guess I'm looking for something with a slight bit of warmth, with exceptional bass. I've been looking at Bryston, Pass Labs (x150.8), McIntosh, Chord Etude, Moon Audio and a few others. I know a lot of ppl like amp rolling, but I don't lol.. amps sell slower, are a pain to box up and do so, so I'm looking to try one or maybe two amps and keep one and be done with it. Any insight is appreciated :)

The news yesterday that RAAL is releasing a tube amplifier was pretty flabbergasting to me. I think I would wait and see what that looks like. I'm also curious about Schiit's new monoblocks as a possible SR1a amp. Here is the link to the discussion on the new amp and circumaurals: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/podc...st-episode-27-raal-requisite-interview-r1031/

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #4,243 of 7,888

I usually don‘t step into the amp discussion, but by chance I know an amp that could fit the bill of your partly controversial demands:

Don’t anyone throw stones on me, but the amp that has the most of what is asked for above:
The iconic Yamaha B6, called “Pyramid”.

I’m running one on the bass part of my Infinity RS1b’s, and switching to it really made a big difference in bass punch.
Before I used it in other configurations with great results, even driving headphones.
I really has some mid range warmth, while maintaining all the clarity.
Aside of this it’s powerful enough with about 250 W into 6 Ohms.
It runs stable with almost no load (headphones instead of speakers) connected.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #4,244 of 7,888
The news yesterday that RAAL is releasing a tube amplifier was pretty flabbergasting to me. I think I would wait and see what that looks like. I'm also curious about Schiit's new monoblocks as a possible SR1a amp. Here is the link to the discussion on the new amp and circumaurals: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/podc...st-episode-27-raal-requisite-interview-r1031/
I am curious and interested. Didn't think it would be possible to direct drive it with tubes unless the output is transformer'd.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #4,245 of 7,888
Well, up until recently I had the SR1a, and I had two speaker amps to try it with.

Bryston B135sst2: To me this amp has almost no color, and bottomless bass extension. It sounds incredible with Susvara, and drives the Raal wonderfully, albeit it definitely being an analytical listen. With some EQ though, Raal sounded fantastic and toe-tapping regardless.

Krell KSA-150: This amp is a bit older, and a behemoth. It's super dynamic and warm, almost sounds like a tube amp in a way. Bass is very textured and has great weight. High frequencies are definitely rolled off vs Bryston, but there is no veil. It sounds more musical and fun with both Susvara and Raal, but less technically proficient than the Bryston. Truth be told, these headphones are so resolving and detailed, and unlike speakers, right up against your ears - you necessarily need to add some warmth in your chain whether it be with your DAC or amp.

I ended up not keeping the Krell despite probably having more enjoyment with it. At the end of the day, I am a technical listener and my speakers sounded best with the Bryston by far.

My dac, Holo Spring KTE is also "Sweet" sounding with a midbass hump/ warmth.
- Paired up with Bryston i'd say Susvara sound almost dead neutral, otherwise neutral-warm with Krell.
- Paired up with Bryston i'd say Raal sound neutral-bright, otherwise neutral-forward with a bass bump with Krell (W-shape response).
I have tried these amps and I agree 100% with your reviews. I run a Holo May.

In my experience @number1sixerfan the Raal takes amazingly well to the Primaluna evo 200/400. The 200 is only 44w per channel but the Sr1a sounds so incredible off it, that I had to email Danny and check.

To elaborate on the pairing with PL 200/400, the sound has more body than on SS amps, there is a hint of warmth in the midrange, bass sounds fuller, and treble energy is tamed a tad. In fact, I have been listening to the SR1a non-stop the last 3 days, 8 hours a day, off the PL tube integrated.

The PL also drives the TC and the Susvara very nicely off the speaker taps. I don’t enjoy either HP off the PL’s HP out tho.

Another serious contender is the McIntosh MA352. But the 352 is a hybrid with tube pre. Sounds quite nice but overall, I like the EL34’s with the SR1a.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back