Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 7, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #4,201 of 7,888
In my case, not so much a comfort break-in as just getting used to a completely different configuration with the flying wings that can make one think the weight seems higher than with conventional phones and I found the clamping force to be very light (in my case). I thought initially I preferred wearing it without the rear strap but over time came to prefer the strap for stability given how lightly the clamping force was on my head from the vertical pads. It also took a while to determine how open or closed I liked the wings but I haven't touched them in year. I carefully tightened the circular hinge the wings rotate in so they would hold that position. I found it much easier to get it set up the way I liked it best compared to my 1266. I remember 1 or 2 purchasers posting they found the clamping force on the temples uncomfortable. The only HP I ever had discomfort with was the HD600, couldn't get the head band to relax enough and was fearful of snapping it in two. Like anything so completely different, getting to know it takes some time and sometimes things just may not workout over time. I think the majority of owners on this thread have the SR1a figured out to their satisfaction as far as fit goes.
I second your comment re: the HD 600. Those cans clamp very hard and I cannot wear them for a period greater than a few minutes. In fact I may just my HD6xx for sale soon.

I will continue to play with the SR1a and hope I can find a comfortable position.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #4,202 of 7,888
My silver Raal cable arrived today. I expected it to be an improvement, but I wasn’t sure how. Somehow, and it doesn’t make sense, but the sr1as have even more clarity now than with the stock cable. It’s like the resolution has increased (and it was very high already with the stock cable).

So far, I’m happy with the silver cable. Things sound smoother too I think, but I’m still adjusting to the new sound.

I should have bought the cable sooner. If you’re on the fence, I say go for it :L3000:

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #4,203 of 7,888
The silver cable is what I am using now and I am very happy with it. Since I sold my Meze Empy I have an orphaned WyWires Platinum headphone XLR cable. I have asked Alex at WyWire to see if he can make this cable work for the SR1a. The copper Platinum was a great cable with the Meze. Which was surprising since most people use silver cables with the Meze. I have a feeling the Platinum will work well with the SR1a.

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #4,204 of 7,888
My silver Raal cable arrived today. I expected it to be an improvement, but I wasn’t sure how. Somehow, and it doesn’t make sense, but the sr1as have even more clarity now than with the stock cable. It’s like the resolution has increased (and it was very high already with the stock cable).

So far, I’m happy with the silver cable. Things sound smoother too I think, but I’m still adjusting to the new sound.

I should have bought the cable sooner. If you’re on the fence, I say go for it :L3000:
I agree, it seemed to be just enough more transparent to make a difference. I'm still playing with the Susvara daily but eventually I'll get back to the SR1a and compare both SR1a copper and silver again. I felt they should make the silver optional on original purchase for the difference in cost between the two, but obviously RAAL does better selling it as an aftermarket piece.

Jul 8, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #4,205 of 7,888
Just a quick question, for anyone who’s driving SR1a with a speaker amp, is the interface box supposed to get hot (or mildly hot)?

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #4,206 of 7,888
Just a quick question, for anyone who’s driving SR1a with a speaker amp, is the interface box supposed to get hot (or mildly hot)?

Mine doesn't get warm at all.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #4,207 of 7,888
Jul 8, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #4,208 of 7,888
Fellow SR1a owners I have a humble question for you. Since my recent "let me try different headphones so I know what I like" endeavours, I started to think I would like to audition SR1a as well. There is an option for me to drive to Germany (5h one way, so a whole day dedicated to this), but perhaps I should just buy a used pair and re-sell if I don't like it? I am very well aware that better source gear and amplification can substantially improve sound of a headphone, but how are you all liking "cheap-ish" Jotunheim? Would it be sufficient enough to give me a sense of what SR1a are like? Or is HSA-1b really a requirement here? I know that there is law of diminishing returns, but my other headphones are AB-1266 and Susvara, out of dCS Bartok (2.8W into 66 Ohm solid state amplifier), with Viva Egoista 845 (15W) amplifier en route. Would it make sense for me to try out SR1a this way, or better to drive to Germany to really hear it at its best?. You know, I wouldn't want to dismiss SR1a calling it "not as good as the other gear I have" yet it has potential when driven adequately. It doesn't help that my experience with Schiit has been less than optimal (I only tried their under 1k gear, but did not like it much). I appreciate your feedback here, thank you!

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #4,209 of 7,888
Ok that’s also the case with me. Thanks!
Same here yet the RAAL literature somewhere says to not cover the vent holes. It may depend on the power amp too. I have a 75 watt perchannel tube amp hooked up to my interface with a Loki sitting on top of the interface and no issues with heat. Substitute one of those SS amps delivering 500 watts per channel might make for a different story.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #4,210 of 7,888
Fellow SR1a owners I have a humble question for you. Since my recent "let me try different headphones so I know what I like" endeavours, I started to think I would like to audition SR1a as well. There is an option for me to drive to Germany (5h one way, so a whole day dedicated to this), but perhaps I should just buy a used pair and re-sell if I don't like it? I am very well aware that better source gear and amplification can substantially improve sound of a headphone, but how are you all liking "cheap-ish" Jotunheim? Would it be sufficient enough to give me a sense of what SR1a are like? Or is HSA-1b really a requirement here? I know that there is law of diminishing returns, but my other headphones are AB-1266 and Susvara, out of dCS Bartok (2.8W into 66 Ohm solid state amplifier), with Viva Egoista 845 (15W) amplifier en route. Would it make sense for me to try out SR1a this way, or better to drive to Germany to really hear it at its best?. You know, I wouldn't want to dismiss SR1a calling it "not as good as the other gear I have" yet it has potential when driven adequately. It doesn't help that my experience with Schiit has been less than optimal (I only tried their under 1k gear, but did not like it much). I appreciate your feedback here, thank you!
The Shop you visit in germany generally offer "at home auditions".
You sign a contract and pay half of the gears value up front, can keep it for like two weeks and when you return it unharmed you receive your money back.
I'm not sure but shipping is on the customer I guess. This would still be better than driving 10h.

You should contact them and ask about it.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #4,211 of 7,888
The Shop you visit in germany generally offer "at home auditions".
You sign a contract and pay half of the gears value up front, can keep it for like two weeks and when you return it unharmed you receive your money back.
I'm not sure but shipping is on the customer I guess. This would still be better than driving 10h.

You should contact them and ask about it.
I am talking to him over emails, but I think he wants his customers to be from Germany. I haven't asked directly, but perhaps I should. The issue will be getting my import/vat tax back, when I decide to return it.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #4,212 of 7,888
I am talking to him over emails, but I think he wants his customers to be from Germany. I haven't asked directly, but perhaps I should. The issue will be getting my import/vat tax back, when I decide to return it.
Yeah I suppose this could turn out to be an issue.

However asking is free, Best of luck :wink:

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #4,213 of 7,888
I am very well aware that better source gear and amplification can substantially improve sound of a headphone, but how are you all liking "cheap-ish" Jotunheim? Would it be sufficient enough to give me a sense of what SR1a are like? Or is HSA-1b really a requirement here?

Jotunheim R is more than sufficient to get a feel for what the SR1a is about. The HSA-1b is a refinement on that. But if you don’t like the SR1a out of the Jotunheim R, you’re unlikely to like them with another amp. If you do, then the HSA-1b, or various speaker amps via the interface will let you get more out of them/change the presentation somewhat.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #4,214 of 7,888
Jotunheim R is more than sufficient to get a feel for what the SR1a is about. The HSA-1b is a refinement on that. But if you don’t like the SR1a out of the Jotunheim R, you’re unlikely to like them with another amp. If you do, then the HSA-1b, or various speaker amps via the interface will let you get more out of them/change the presentation somewhat.
Hi Torq, I know you tried the Sr1a with the McIntosh MA252 and AHB2 (read your review, of course).

How would you compare the Sr1a off the AHB2 vs the HSA-1b? Just different?

I remember you saying the MA252 may not have been powerful enough. Have a mind to try the MA352 in the coming days.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #4,215 of 7,888
Hi Torq, I know you tried the Sr1a with the McIntosh MA252 and AHB2 (read your review, of course).

How would you compare the Sr1a off the AHB2 vs the HSA-1b? Just different?

I remember you saying the MA252 may not have been powerful enough. Have a mind to try the MA352 in the coming days.

The HSA-1b is a little richer/more "liquid" (particularly in the midrange) and delivers more "tonal weight", with a smoother top-end, where as the AHB2 was a little "dry", leant towards a "lean(er)" presentation but felt a hair "faster" (which is really more down to leaner presentation I think).

I'd actually take the Jotunheim R over the AHB2, even if they were the same price.

The MA252, while a nice tone, was activating its protection with some music at enthusiastic levels. Tone was lovely. The MA352 had no such issues, a similar tone, better detail and is a much better match (as well as having the classic McIntosh Vue Meters) - I liked it a lot and it is definitely worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back