Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 13, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #4,246 of 7,893
Well, up until recently I had the SR1a, and I had two speaker amps to try it with.

Bryston B135sst2: To me this amp has almost no color, and bottomless bass extension. It sounds incredible with Susvara, and drives the Raal wonderfully, albeit it definitely being an analytical listen. With some EQ though, Raal sounded fantastic and toe-tapping regardless.

Krell KSA-150: This amp is a bit older, and a behemoth. It's super dynamic and warm, almost sounds like a tube amp in a way. Bass is very textured and has great weight. High frequencies are definitely rolled off vs Bryston, but there is no veil. It sounds more musical and fun with both Susvara and Raal, but less technically proficient than the Bryston. Truth be told, these headphones are so resolving and detailed, and unlike speakers, right up against your ears - you necessarily need to add some warmth in your chain whether it be with your DAC or amp.

I ended up not keeping the Krell despite probably having more enjoyment with it. At the end of the day, I am a technical listener and my speakers sounded best with the Bryston by far.

My dac, Holo Spring KTE is also "Sweet" sounding with a midbass hump/ warmth.
- Paired up with Bryston i'd say Susvara sound almost dead neutral, otherwise neutral-warm with Krell.
- Paired up with Bryston i'd say Raal sound neutral-bright, otherwise neutral-forward with a bass bump with Krell (W-shape response).

Really helpful. I may remove Bryston off of my list here, assuming their other models have similar signatures. I have a Stat system that is my "highly analytical" flavor so to speak. Also, I'm likely keeping the WA33, which is one of the most SS like tube amps I've had. Guess the key is finding something with a hint of warmth, that still is really technically proficient.

The news yesterday that RAAL is releasing a tube amplifier was pretty flabbergasting to me. I think I would wait and see what that looks like. I'm also curious about Schiit's new monoblocks as a possible SR1a amp. Here is the link to the discussion on the new amp and circumaurals: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/podc...st-episode-27-raal-requisite-interview-r1031/

Very interesting, didn't know that news dropped. I am however trying to get away from amps specifically optimized for the Raal only, so it would be interesting to see how good it performs with the Susvara/TC. I.e. the HSA-1b does fine with the latter two, but they are quite a bit better with the WA33.

I have tried these amps and I agree 100% with your reviews. I run a Holo May.

In my experience @number1sixerfan the Raal takes amazingly well to the Primaluna evo 200/400. The 200 is only 44w per channel but the Sr1a sounds so incredible off it, that I had to email Danny and check.

To elaborate on the pairing with PL 200/400, the sound has more body than on SS amps, there is a hint of warmth in the midrange, bass sounds fuller, and treble energy is tamed a tad. In fact, I have been listening to the SR1a non-stop the last 3 days, 8 hours a day, off the PL tube integrated.

The PL also drives the TC and the Susvara very nicely off the speaker taps. I don’t enjoy either HP off the PL’s HP out tho.

Another serious contender is the McIntosh MA352. But the 352 is a hybrid with tube pre. Sounds quite nice but overall, I like the EL34’s with the SR1a.

Really good info here. The part I bolded is essentially exactly what I'm after. I'll do some reading there. Do you know if the Primaluna Dialogue HP integrated is known to have a similar signature? Seems like an older model possibly, seeing quite a few of them used. And McIntosh is still very high on my radar, although looking at 2-3 tube or hybrid models. Finding plenty of impressions on them, and really like how they hold their value.

Thanks all, really helpful stuff. Any additional recs are very welcome!

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #4,247 of 7,893
Really helpful. I may remove Bryston off of my list here, assuming their other models have similar signatures. I have a Stat system that is my "highly analytical" flavor so to speak. Also, I'm likely keeping the WA33, which is one of the most SS like tube amps I've had. Guess the key is finding something with a hint of warmth, that still is really technically proficient.

Very interesting, didn't know that news dropped. I am however trying to get away from amps specifically optimized for the Raal only, so it would be interesting to see how good it performs with the Susvara/TC. I.e. the HSA-1b does fine with the latter two, but they are quite a bit better with the WA33.

Really good info here. The part I bolded is essentially exactly what I'm after. I'll do some reading there. Do you know if the Primaluna Dialogue HP integrated is known to have a similar signature? Seems like an older model possibly, seeing quite a few of them used. And McIntosh is still very high on my radar, although looking at 2-3 tube or hybrid models. Finding plenty of impressions on them, and really like how they hold their value.

Thanks all, really helpful stuff. Any additional recs are very welcome!
Not sure what the Dialogue HP sounds like, but IIRC, @3ggerhappy uses one with her Susvaras.

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #4,248 of 7,893
For people that have used speaker amps, have there been any in particular that you loved with the Raal, but that you also enjoyed with other headphones you have? I'm ready to purchase, but reading up on as many amps as I can.. it's been really hard to land on an amp I think would suffice for the Raal, TC and Susvara. That's the main goal. That plus the supply issues are making it a bit tough. So I'm mainly looking used at this point.

For the Raal, I'd like a touch more body and improved bass. For the TC, I need something a bit more forward to account for the slightly recessed mids and maybe a hint of warmth, and for the Susvara I'm largely good with it maintaining it's exact organic signature.

So I guess I'm looking for something with a slight bit of warmth, with exceptional bass. I've been looking at Bryston, Pass Labs (x150.8), McIntosh, Chord Etude, Moon Audio and a few others. I know a lot of ppl like amp rolling, but I don't lol.. amps sell slower, are a pain to box up and do so, so I'm looking to try one or maybe two amps and keep one and be done with it. Any insight is appreciated :)
Hi,

Maybe the HSA-1b could fit your expectations. The 1266 mids are improved with more body, more presence through this amplifier.
At least this is my perception compared to other TOTL amplifiers.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #4,249 of 7,893
Maybe the HSA-1b could fit your expectations. The 1266 mids are improved with more body, more presence through this amplifier.
Which headphone out do you recommend? Using the RAAL's direct drive output, just with an XLR adapter, or normal XLR headphone out?

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #4,250 of 7,893
Which headphone out do you recommend? Using the RAAL's direct drive output, just with an XLR adapter, or normal XLR headphone out?
I‘ve not tried the normal headphone output as I‘ve read that it was not sufficient to drive the 1266 correctly. The ribbon output with a specific adapter (provided) works really well.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #4,251 of 7,893
the adapter is a must...with it it drives anything quite well

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #4,254 of 7,893
For the AB-1266, use the Ribbon output with the included adapter.

And make sure the "SR1/HP" switch is set to "HP"!
Thank you! How are the XLR inputs on the amp? Are they balanced/differentiated, or instead ignoring pin 3, or shorting it with pin 1?

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #4,256 of 7,893
Here ya go.

Attachments

• HSA-1b-brochure.pdf
    205.7 KB · Views: 0
Jul 13, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #4,257 of 7,893
Here ya go.
Thank you, I did not think to look there. Based on their description, the XLR is properly balanced (so it will use all 3 pins). That's what I wanted/needed to know (dCS is said to sound better on XLR as long as all 3 pins are used, else they recommend using RCA). Viva for one, has XLRs for convienence only, so it ignores pin 3 on the XLR input.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #4,258 of 7,893
Here's a little bit of helpful notes from Torq's review

1626216317621.png

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #4,260 of 7,893
Has anyone tried to pair the SR1a with either the Schiit Vidar or Aegis? If I go by the recommendations from Raal I would assume that the Aegis especially would be underpowered but I am also reading that some users here have had success with amps that aren't all that beefy in pure power output.

Curious if there is any feedback from the folks here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back