Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Nov 15, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #2,971 of 7,847
The prototype was called the SRH1a, and this thread dates back that far.
I’ve found the headphones work well with most headphone stands, but I prefer to let the pads decompress when I’d not wearing them. I got a carbon fiber stand from dfwcomposites— there’s a link earlier in this thread. I’m happy with it and like the look. That said, I was also happy with a Target banana hanger. The steel bar on the top hooks nicely into a banana hanger and keeps the pads free, so if you like the look you’re in luck.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #2,973 of 7,847
I just rest mine on top of the Jotr...less wear and tear that way

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #2,974 of 7,847
The Omega stand I use seems to work pretty well. Almost no pressure on side pads. Height seems about right too. Of course laying them on the Jot R works too. Or just leave them on your head all the time. Nobody will give you funny looks. :relaxed:

Nov 16, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #2,975 of 7,847
Hi, all. Just joined SR1a club from South Korea last week.
I am pretty impressed by these cans, and they got the top position of my headphones collection, including ab-1266 OG and sr-009. But one thing that annoys me is bass clipping. I am suffering bass clipping issue at high volume when playing my test song, New Armsterdam by Pink Martini. Drum sound of the beginning part should sound natural but my sr1a cannot do that.

I am using speaker amp interface box with my integrated amp, Sugden IA-4 - Class A 33W. Among those who are using Jot R or HSA-1b, could you check whether your SR1a play this track without clipping?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #2,977 of 7,847
I got a carbon fiber stand from dfwcomposites— there’s a link earlier in this thread. I’m happy with it and like the look.
This desk hanger from DW Composites with the red fibers would look great against the red pads on the SR1A. I'll contact them and ask if they can make one of their stands with that red weave for me. I really don't want these hanging out past the underside of my desk. Thank you for the inspiration!

Nov 16, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #2,978 of 7,847
I am pretty impressed by these cans, and they got the top position of my headphones collection, including ab-1266 OG and sr-009. But one thing that annoys me is bass clipping. I am suffering bass clipping issue at high volume when playing my test song, New Armsterdam by Pink Martini. Drum sound of the beginning part should sound natural but my sr1a cannot do that.

I am using speaker amp interface box with my integrated amp, Sugden IA-4 - Class A 33W. Among those who are using Jot R or HSA-1b, could you check whether your SR1a play this track without clipping?
From what I understand, it requires a more powerful amp than 33W. I'll let others correct me if I'm wrong.

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #2,979 of 7,847

Just played that track at an obscene volume to make sure. No clipping. It's your amp most likely.

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #2,980 of 7,847
I did some comparisons today on bass heavy tracks with the SR1A and Abyss TC. High volume levels and tracks with very low bass extension. I never heard clipping, however it was apparent when comparing the two headphones that the SR1A goes down to about 30hz and that is it. It didn't distort, just kind of stopped. Wasn't noticeable unless doing direct comparisons. Then it was obvious how much lower in frequency the tracks actually went. The Raal may not be the best choice for bass heavy tracks with synthesized bass notes down to 20hz or lower.

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #2,981 of 7,847
The bass is however very fast and detailed. Even faster than the TC. More detailed as well. So if you listen to music that has bass generated by real life instruments you are probably fine. Of course tastes vary.

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #2,982 of 7,847

It’s the trade off you get for the headphones being so good at everything. It’s pretty easy for me to get the driver to clip with any modern electronic/pop/hip hop. For this reason I run the headphones crosses over to a sub for sessions where I want to listen at louder levels.

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #2,984 of 7,847
Doesn't that create timing issues for you?
Negligible. I have the sub under my desk directly in front of me. I thought phase might be an issue but that hasn’t turned out to be the case. Also note that I only do this for more fun listening, nothing super critical. The sub blends much better than I would have imagined. Not entirely seamless but not distracting either. Being able to feel the bass with the insane dynamics of the raals and the added headroom is quite the experience!

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #2,985 of 7,847
With the Raal being completely open, I would imagine it integrates with the sub better than most would. I would try that but my listening is mostly late night. The reason I got into headphones originally. I imagine it is a very fun way to listen to the SR1A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back