Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Nov 14, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #2,956 of 7,885
Well after keeping my entire rig and headphones in my brother's storage room while we moved into our new home, I'm finally setup again at my new place. I decided to go with the SR1a/Jot R/DAVE setup and Bruce Springsteen's newest release "Letter to You". I am just loving what I am hearing. So expansive, quick and detailed...these are among the very best pair of headphones around...no question to my ears. So glad to be "back in business"!!!
I also have SR1a/Jot R/DAVE and HMS setup but found it too bright sounding after one month of listening.

After I inserted Schitt Freya pre between Dave and Jot R, it had got much better.

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #2,957 of 7,885
in either case the sr1a is brutally discerning and will showcase the flaws in any recording....it is an improper description of this headphone

My friend, you're still misreading my post. I'm describing the amp not the headphones. I'll copy paste it once again for you: "In my listening, the main advantage of the HSA1b is the soundstage size, holography, forgiveness of poor recordings, microdetail in the mids and also liquidity."

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #2,958 of 7,885
all I can say is the RAAL SR1a with the speaker box and my Cary 120 mk2 tube amp fed by the Lumin T2 sounds utterly fantastic. Bass is only lacking in recordings/masterings where the bass is lacking, for example Van Halen Hugh res box set is bass light but Yes high res box set or the White Stripes have plenty of bottom end.

Listened to the high res version of Kind of Blue last night and the bass sounded clear , distinct and similar in prominence to other headphones I have/had

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #2,959 of 7,885
Nov 15, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #2,960 of 7,885
I also have SR1a/Jot R/DAVE and HMS setup but found it too bright sounding after one month of listening.

After I inserted Schitt Freya pre between Dave and Jot R, it had got much better.

How do you control the volume ? From the Freya o from the JOTR ?

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #2,962 of 7,885
Either from Dave or Freya remote.

Jot R does not have remote volume control.

Sorry, what I don't understand, is how do you control the volume in the chain:
- Dave fixed volume
- Freja to control the volume
- JOT R with the Volume Knob at the "0" ?

Thanks

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #2,963 of 7,885
Sorry, what I don't understand, is how do you control the volume in the chain:
- Dave fixed volume
- Freja to control the volume
- JOT R with the Volume Knob at the "0" ?

Thanks
I usually use Dave's remote volume.

Jot R to max.

But Freya's remote volume also work well.

I used to use Freya's volume too.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #2,964 of 7,885
Interesting... it seems like the raal just shows you whats really on the recording? If its meant to be a thicker sounding song it can sound that way and thinner likewise?

Nov 15, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #2,967 of 7,885
You could set the Jot R volume at say 50% and use computer volume control. However I have found that doesn't sound as good. You could try it for yourself and see. Mileage may vary.

Nov 15, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #2,970 of 7,885
I use an Omega style stand. It works just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back