Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Nov 11, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #2,926 of 7,885
You don't find it thin sounding or lacking in bass quantity/impact?

Same for me, been listening for the Raal for the past 5 months and i don’t miss any bass, and just before i had the d8000/empyrean which both have deep bass.
If i had something to fix, it would be more to reach back for the lay back sound i had with he1000v2, d8000 or empyrean. But i would loose this opened, airy, transparent and live sound lol
Never easy. I guess i should have 2 headphones, because when am tired at night, i’d rather reach for a empyrean than a Sr1a..

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #2,927 of 7,885

Depends on the quality of the recording, the preferred music genre(s), the volume levels a listener prefers, the reproducing chain of electronics, and the values a listener attaches to various sonic traits in the overall sound.

As pertains specifically to bass reproduction; is the bass produced acoustically, or is it electronically enhanced? How loud and impactful is a bass guitar when it’s not plugged into a speaker/amp that’s plugged into a wall socket? How loud can a bass drum sound indoors versus outdoors?

Bass reproduction varies from venue to venue live and this can be heard in recordings as well.

I have recordings that sound fine as is with the SR1a, not perfect but within reason for me given the current state of all music reproduction. I have other recordings that require some bass EQ to meet my personal taste for what sounds right to my ears based on my experience with live sound.

I like open backed phones with spacious ear cups. I also currently own Abyss Phi, Senn HD800 and 800S. I’ve owned Oppo PM-1’s, Senn 600, Focal Utopia, several Stax, several Grado’s, and have spent a fair amount of time with Audeze and HiFi Man and Sonoma Acoustics. (I really liked the Utopia but the ear cups were just a hair too small for my largish ears (and I refuse to stuff my ears into an ear cup any more, comfort is just as important to me as sound). Also, the sound stage was not quite what I liked, but overall a great sounding phone with any of my preferred music genres.)

The SR1a can reproduce the same low notes as the Phi and Senn’s but not at the same level or with that sense of moving air, or air pressing on the tympanic membrane that the Phi or Senn’s can provide. Even with EQ the SR1a can’t do that, but I can get a fairly satisfying sound “for myself” and I let my brain assist with the illusion that it approaches the truth.

Depending on how loose I adjust the Phi’s ear cups I can make the deep bass go way over the top in amplitude, its fun, but not accurate with my music (classical, jazz, and classic rock) so I end up scaling it back. I’m aware the TC is better in some regards than the Phi and I spent 12 days, in home, listening to both side by side in April 2019, and while the TC was an improvement over the Phi I couldn’t justify the loss I’d take trying to sell the Phi and there was no upgrade path for the drivers because of a change in the housing design. The Phi is still a fine listen for me.

The Senn’s are still a fine listen for me as well. Depending on the amp I use them with, and I have 8 different ones, I sometimes prefer the original, sometimes the S (depends on the recording) and also whether it’s for just music or home theater listening.

Neither my Phi or Senn’s can match the clarity, detailing and transparency I get with the SR1a at unraveling complex lines in a score which is what I relish. These same characteristics enhance my jazz and classic rock listening as well. But the SR1a does put a premium on recording SQ. I find both the Phi and Senn’s more forgiving of average recorded quality, but I’ve never felt the need to EQ either for the bass area as I do at times with the SR1a.

And, as I’ve said before, some people like their bass more real than real. They want a more visceral personal experience and that can vary with whether it’s an acoustic or electronically produced sound. I also believe primary genre choices may matter as to what will most satisfy a listener. Without knowing what the listener cares most about sonically with their preferred music genre(s) I don’t see how one can say this phone is better than that phone for anyone other than themselves. While it might be true that a perfect phone would reproduce any type music in an accurate manner the reality is we have to make concessions and compromises when we decide to buy /use this or that phone. There are always trade-offs. There is no one phone to rule them all.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #2,928 of 7,885
the bass on the sr1a is very realistic...it is not visceral but it is real and to my ears outstanding...it is a different experience than the abyss tc which I also love but it is of all the TOTL HP;s I have heard special simply because it is so different and what it does so well no other HP can match...

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #2,930 of 7,885
the bass on the sr1a is very realistic...it is not visceral but it is real and to my ears outstanding...it is a different experience than the abyss tc which I also love but it is of all the TOTL HP;s I have heard special simply because it is so different and what it does so well no other HP can match...

I am really interested in hearing them with my pass amp. I bet it would be incredible!

Nov 11, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #2,931 of 7,885
I am really interested in hearing them with my pass amp. I bet it would be incredible!
Temper your expectations from the hyperbole. Even out of my Pass Labs Xs 300, the SR1a leaves plenty on the table. So don't expect perfection.

But if you've a nice contrasting and complimentary headphone to the SR1a, you're pretty much all set.

Nov 12, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #2,934 of 7,885
What do you find lacking in them?
Their main achilles is bass output pure and simple -- this no matter what you'll use to drive them. Last stop the uberamp2 direct-drive to cure curiosities.

A smaller issue, I wish they had a little more meat to the bone. They're not thin per se but I would like more body.
This would play more in their favor of being great all-arounders.

As such, the Abyss (for me) solves to be a much more well-rounded pick. And luckily, I find the TC and SR1a are perfect complimentary partners that exude equal wow factors.

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #2,935 of 7,885
Temper your expectations from the hyperbole. Even out of my Pass Labs Xs 300, the SR1a leaves plenty on the table. So don't expect perfection.

But if you've a nice contrasting and complimentary headphone to the SR1a, you're pretty much all set.

Wow! XS300 incredible. How does the INT150 and XS300 compare to the HSA-1B and other amps you have heard with the SR1a. What does the sr1a do better than the abyss? Also do you find abyss a bit lean sounding as well? Have you tried something richer like empyrean or any lcd?

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #2,936 of 7,885
Wow! XS300 incredible. How does the INT150 and XS300 compare to the HSA-1B and other amps you have heard with the SR1a. What does the sr1a do better than the abyss? Also do you find abyss a bit lean sounding as well? Have you tried something richer like empyrean or any lcd?
Well, the Xs 300 are complete massive lunacy for any headphone (that is why I have the INT-150 10W Class A drive for Abyss aside from my CFA3 16W at 50 ohm) yet the SR1a bass response is still not satisfying regardless of amps.

And understand, it's all relative and in direct comparison to the Abyss.

The HSA-1b isn't as good as the INT-150, either. Bass isn't as tight/controlled and the HSA-1b rolls the top end a bit.
There is a warmer sound than either Pass but a step below in transparency.

With the uberamp2 I hope to bridge the latter gap but I don't really anticipate the bass improving to some magical level (I guess unless I bring in some OMG this cable is a game changer BS.)

However, my aim isn't really to try and force a change with what the SR1a represents, more refinement than anything else.

The SR1a can dig deeper into the recording and present you real space, real stereo imaging.
The Abyss conversely slams bass into your colon. Truly spine-tingling.
SR1a is a little faster with transients, also a little less bodied.

I don't really find a single fault with the TC. I've scaled the TC with SR1a and I continue to reach for the TC far more.
I do find the SR1a wow-y but I also find the TC equal in wow and just downright more fun to listen to.

I guess (considering reference of Empyrean is bollocks,) to dumb it down, the SR1a is more akin to the HD800 while the TC is more akin to the VC if the VC didn't have ZMF flavor. However unhelpful I find this to be.

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #2,937 of 7,885
So, I've seen talk of subwoofers tossed about a bit, but if I need a full-range system, would having a sub in the room (say a Martin Logan Balanced Force) be a viable solution, or is there a better way to solve that?
I once tried something like that, but didn't like it.
Even when I was literally sitting on the subwoofer, still the bass did not sound right, kind of late.

If you want a stronger bass, I suggest to use an equalizer and boost it for the headphones.
It's much easier to control the result this way.
No phase differences between separate sources, to name one problem that occurs with a separate sub.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #2,938 of 7,885
How close does the sr1a get to real speaker presentation?

Just had a listening session on my speakers and my headphones simply can't compare

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #2,939 of 7,885
To my way of hearing it they (HP's) never do, I really take statements about HP sound staging with a big grain of salt. The big advantage with HP's; no room interactions to deal with and generally an easier reveal of micro-nuances in a recording. Of the speakers I've owned over 5 decades the Magnepan Tympani 1U's, Vandersteen 2C's, Carver Amazing IV's, and Quad ESL63's were absolute best at sound staging. For whatever reason the Quads were the easiest to set up and get a stunning sound stage with pinpoint imaging and with a minimum of fuss in set up. The others required quite a bit of fiddling to get close to what the Quads delivered but they delivered other aspects of the sound the Quads didn't.

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #2,940 of 7,885
if bass is the bottom line for you...I am referring to the kind you feel in your gut then by all means go with the abyss....if the utmost in accuracy, detail and space is your thing especially listening to acoustic jazz etc the sr1a is for you...in truth the abyss and sr1a complement one another beautifully if you have the cash for both...otherwise the choice is totally subjective

Users who are viewing this thread

Back