Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Nov 17, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #2,988 of 7,882
I did some comparisons today on bass heavy tracks with the SR1A and Abyss TC. High volume levels and tracks with very low bass extension. I never heard clipping, however it was apparent when comparing the two headphones that the SR1A goes down to about 30hz and that is it. It didn't distort, just kind of stopped. Wasn't noticeable unless doing direct comparisons. Then it was obvious how much lower in frequency the tracks actually went. The Raal may not be the best choice for bass heavy tracks with synthesized bass notes down to 20hz or lower.

Thanks for reply! Could you let me know which amplifier you are using for sr1a?

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #2,989 of 7,882
I’m using the Jot R. Fed by XLR from Yggdrasil.

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #2,991 of 7,882
Guys, thanks to your feedback, I concluded that I have an amp matching issue.
I am planning to buy a new amplifier for my sr1a and want to know which amplifier would be best match for it. Would it be HSA-2b?
Since I also have speaker system, I am open to speaker amp too.

Nov 21, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #2,992 of 7,882
Hi - I’m picking up a pair of RAAL SR1a later, with a Jottenheim R Amp.

I want to use a Qudelix 5k DAC as the source into the amp, but I read headphone outputs need to match the voltage?? of line inputs?

And with the Qudelix I can use balanced 2.5mm output with a balanced cable I have, or use an adaptor for the 3.5mm SE output

I can only use the balanced inputs on the Amp as I don’t have a cable ending in phono plugs at the mo

The Qudelix output allows me to set 1v 2v 3v 4vrms I think depending on which output I use.

I just need to choose the lowest one right?

Thanks for any advice :)

kind regards
Jamie

EDIT -
Google beat you to it. The chord mojo manual says their adjustable output option to use with a line level input changes it to 3v. So I guess 3v is what I need :)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #2,993 of 7,882
Guys, thanks to your feedback, I concluded that I have an amp matching issue.
I am planning to buy a new amplifier for my sr1a and want to know which amplifier would be best match for it. Would it be HSA-2b?
Since I also have speaker system, I am open to speaker amp too.
Rogue Cronus Magnum II fitted with Nos tubes(Telefuken 12zx7 and Amperex 12au7) work well with Sr1a with nice texture and tonal balance.

It will also work well with most of 2 channel speaker.

You may get used Rogue Cronus Magnum II or new Rogue Cronus Magnum III.

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #2,994 of 7,882
waiting for Moon Audio to send my Jot R + RALL Sr1a!! i will be using Hugo 2 TT + Mscaler into the chain.

really excited to hear this combo. i had Focal Utopia / Susvara headphones before as well. i can't see i liked them. i think i am the kind of person who would enjoy Abyss TC and Sr1a more. i love TH900 so :p

i am a Treble head, so for me i picked this one before TC soley because of the Treble. also detailed and fast bass will sure sound fun in pop music.

if i ended up loving the combo i will get WA33 and TC as well.

hopefully WA33 as a Pre-Amp will have a very noticeable difference, not just subtle small upgrade, kind of worried about the later upgrade lol. i can't test ofc since i live very faraway. we don't have it here.

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #2,995 of 7,882
Got mine a couple of days ago :) I have had high end speakers (up to Kii Three) and more recently high end IEMs (up to Tia Fourte / U18t / Shure KsE1200)

But never headphones as I always wanted portable and didn’t like big things on my head. But finally I had to try......

I never though I would call the KSE1200 bass slow.... but sweet Jesus these RAAL are something else. it’s like the bass lines on well known tracks have been remastered and remixed with new bass lines. Never though the bass would impress me first going on all the reviews....

Tried it flat with the mojo Poly as source, and its incredible in quality/texture/resolution/tunefulness, but occasionally lacking in quantity for my taste.

Also tried boosted to high heavens with a Qudelix 5k PEQ+4db 30hz + 3db 64hz +2db 125hz - and it’s all of the above but slams your head off too!!

As for rest - I would say the sound signature is quite like the U18T. Very forward and loads of “wow” factor

Still trying to get my head round how just good they are..... and really hoping my ears adjust the lower quantity of bass having been used to KSE1200 in ears which is mighty plentiful?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #2,997 of 7,882
and its here :3

20201125_153847.jpg
20201125_154117.jpg

i will let the headphone burn in for while, btw i had to turn on AC, because when this amp heats amp, it get turned off easily -_-'' i didn't think its this bad

hopefully it doesn't turn off again. trying it out rn.

inential impression out of the box is that i find the Treble Cute haha, i was expecting a "Hot" Treble ,but again still too early, got to give it 100 hours at lesat.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #2,998 of 7,882
Have a play with the baffle switch up and down. Just discovered it makes a huge difference - but more to cut mids and trebles to my ears, giving the illusion of a warmer bass? With it up - you then have to raise the volume to bring them out again! With it down it seems similar bass to me, but with louder mids and treble?

Also what’s the best £500 ish used DAC option to go with the Jott R? preferably with an app with PEQ like the Qudelix 5k, which works well but the SQ wasn’t on par with Mojo Poly

And it seem I am wasting a good headphone amp and SD card slot there - I just need a straight DAC

Options? :)

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #3,000 of 7,882
i might go with HSA-1b amp over Jot-R mainly because when i turn volume up a little over 12 it get hot faster then it turns off.

i feel like HSA-1b is higher quality and won't play these silly games on me.

correct me if i was wrong hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back