Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Apr 15, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #2,161 of 7,883
They also have a sister site https://www.usedcable.com/ w/ second-hand cables. Some good deals on there. I hope no one is paying MSRP on high end cables, most of the prices are ridiculous.
Yes, I'm aware of their sister company usedcable.com because I'm always looking there for some different XLR IC's to pick up at a good price.
The problem is I never find what I need because I need 10'.

Apr 16, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #2,162 of 7,883
So.. I know I said that I'll be selling all my other headphones because the Raal is extremely good.
But I purchased a second hand planar headphone so I can listen to it for a few minutes then switch bag to the Raals and be blown away again!!

Apr 16, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #2,163 of 7,883
So.. I know I said that I'll be selling all my other headphones because the Raal is extremely good.
But I purchased a second hand planar headphone so I can listen to it for a few minutes then switch bag to the Raals and be blown away again!!
:laughing:

Apr 16, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #2,164 of 7,883
Yes. That reduces the pressure compared to the pressure of upper pads at your temples.
Bend it outwards to relieve the pressure to soft tissue in front of your ears, if you will. Do the opposite to increase it.
Twist it so the angle of the headphone follows the shape of your head, bottom going inwards or outwards, as desired.
Be bold, nothing will break.
How do you know which side is left or right. The sides are not marked.

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #2,165 of 7,883
How do you know which side is left or right. The sides are not marked.

??? Really
1587045333067.png

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #2,167 of 7,883
There's a 4 page preliminary manual some pages back in pdf form.

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #2,169 of 7,883
I absolutely love and support what RAAL/Requisite is doing with the SR1a, and I also know I'll own a near-future iteration again one day, but to think that 12+ months in after release, there still isn't readily available documentation for it -- especially considering how _novel_ these headphones are, and that they are targeted towards pros...

C'mon man, please up your game.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #2,170 of 7,883
Spoke with Danny from Raal quite a few times who indicated they had plans for lower priced ribbon headphones with the Jot R/HSA-1a being still excellent amp choices to go with it. This was before our current global pandemic situation so that may have just been delayed. I know from talking with other manufacturers they indicated they have choose to postpone any announcements for new products at the moment.

RAAL is a small but growing operation and they have slowed down a little to keep their staff safe. With Chord I noticed in a few of their new products didn't come with a manual in the box and asked that you go to their website. It allowed at least if there was some new info to add in the manual to be able to update in real time.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #2,171 of 7,883
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #2,173 of 7,883
As someone who has owned an SR1a for awhile and fooled around with placement, let me add a bit to the Owner's Manual. I agree with the vertical placement, so that the center of the phones is even with the ear canal. What the Owner's Manual does not say is that it is worth experimenting with the horizontal placement--that is, moving the phones a little closer to your nose or a little closer to the back of your head--as well as the angle of the phones (from touching your ears to straight out). In fact, these two adjustments are related, since angling the phones away from your ears moves the center of the phones forward in relation to your ear canals. Generally speaking, the wider the angle, the more open the sound/soundstage, but the lower the amount of bass. I find that the horizontal placement can also affect how open the sound/soundstage is; for me, having the phones closer to my nose means that the sound seems to come more from in front of me and is somehow more open.

In any event, it is pretty easy to play around with these adjustments, and you may find that certain recordings or types of music benefit from somewhat different placement. Good luck.

Apr 18, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #2,174 of 7,883
I had pulled the trigger for Schitt Freya and Nos quad Sylvania 6sn7 GTB made in 1955.

I hope it will give relaxed tube flavor to both Sr1a driven by Jot R and 009s driven by Kgsshv Carbon amp.

Although I enjoy open and exciting sound out of Sr1a but it get close to hot from time to time.

I wish to tame it with Freya.

But Freya is backordered so that I may get it on next Thursday or later.

I also have quad Sylvania vt231 made in 1940's but two of them are in my 2 channel amplifier and I keep one more pair as spare

I had chosen Sylvania vt231 in Line Magnetic 508 amp after comparing with Nos Kenrad, Tungsol and modern Shuguang Treasure cv181-z.

Shuguang Treasure sounds warm and organic but falls slightly short of vt231 in details.

Sylvania "Bad boy" made in 1952 are hard to get with exorbitant price which I had not tried in my system.

But I am happy with Sylvania vt231 which give excellent details, nice dynamics, wide and deep soundstage.

I will also make comparison between Sylvania vt231 made in 1940's and GTB made in 1955 in Line Magnetic 508 and Freya.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #2,175 of 7,883
I had pulled the trigger for Schitt Freya and Nos quad Sylvania 6sn7 GTB made in 1955.

I hope it will give relaxed tube flavor to both Sr1a driven by Jot R and 009s driven by Kgsshv Carbon amp.

Although I enjoy open and exciting sound out of Sr1a but it get close to hot from time to time.

I wish to tame it with Freya.

But Freya is backordered so that I may get it on next Thursday or later.

I also have quad Sylvania vt231 made in 1940's but two of them are in my 2 channel amplifier and I keep one more pair as spare

I had chosen Sylvania vt231 in Line Magnetic 508 amp after comparing with Nos Kenrad, Tungsol and modern Shuguang Treasure cv181-z.

Shuguang Treasure sounds warm and organic but falls slightly short of vt231 in details.

Sylvania "Bad boy" made in 1952 are hard to get with exorbitant price which I had not tried in my system.

But I am happy with Sylvania vt231 which give excellent details, nice dynamics, wide and deep soundstage.

I will also make comparison between Sylvania vt231 made in 1940's and GTB made in 1955 in Line Magnetic 508 and Freya.
Very much looking forward to your impressions on the Freya with SR1a/JotR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back