Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #7,697 of 7,885
sorry for revisiting this topic, but wanted to ask u guys, how are you positioning the wings?

as close to the ears as possible (without contact to the ears)? I've been using mine like this for quite some time. but I find I am also enjoying having the wings angled farther out and compensating with increasing the volume. the center image is less strong and less in your face, which I quite like. slightly reduced low end but made up with more turn on the volume knob.
Gotta love having options.

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #7,698 of 7,885
Yes, I have set the wings on my pair as a compromise between the wider setting with its larger but more diffuse soundstage, and the narrower but more bass-prominent and pinpoint imaging setting. I would estimate the angle at about 25 degrees from fully closed.

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #7,699 of 7,885
About 25-30% here. That's my sweet spot. Any further and I lose the fundamental of the instruments, much more closed than that, and the lower mid-range begins to get a little sloppy and less defined.

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #7,700 of 7,885
Someone earlier in this thread said they removed the side pads and let the drivers sort of hang with a small gap from the ears, and the use of a sub, i have now set up mine like this and they sound very good indeed, i have the wings angled farther out. I have put the pads back on to compare but i prefer them without.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #7,701 of 7,885
Someone earlier in this thread said they removed the side pads and let the drivers sort of hang with a small gap from the ears, and the use of a sub, i have now set up mine like this and they sound very good indeed, i have the wings angled farther out. I have put the pads back on to compare but i prefer them without.
Hi, how did you remove the side pads?

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #7,703 of 7,885
Although I will occasionally swing the wings out, 95% of the time I have them pretty close to my ears. I usually prioritize the extra bass and better isolation (relatively speaking) over soundstage width.

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #7,704 of 7,885
I always put the wings far out. I like the added soundstage. Putting them close to my ears is good, and you add some more bass and quality, but spreading them out like 45 degrees is just great for soundstage. I listen to my Sr1b for that, and the detail. Though, I actually prefer the CA. My Sr1b might get sold (I already sold my previous Sr1a). We'll see how the Imannis is. You can't beat the Sr1b soundstage though, at least with the wings out

Mar 1, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #7,705 of 7,885
to me it is always a compromise...I love the wider soundstage when they are wider but I feel that definitely sacrifices bass and impact...I am always playing around and thats why I love the sr1a because it is so different and novel...no matter how good the new model is and I look forward to it a lot it will never replace the novel design of the sr1a which for me was the first HP in such a long time to really offer me something different than the planars...

Mar 1, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #7,706 of 7,885
to me it is always a compromise...I love the wider soundstage when they are wider but I feel that definitely sacrifices bass and impact...I am always playing around and thats why I love the sr1a because it is so different and novel...no matter how good the new model is and I look forward to it a lot it will never replace the novel design of the sr1a which for me was the first HP in such a long time to really offer me something different than the planars...
Well written, my friend

Mar 1, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #7,707 of 7,885
I agree. The sr-1A are really something new. And to me they are unbeatable for classical music (especially chamber) and jazz.

Although I also have the Abyss TC and the Focal Stellia, the only other HP that gave a similar experience was the Sennheiser HD800s.

G

Mar 1, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #7,708 of 7,885
I agree. The sr-1A are really something new. And to me they are unbeatable for classical music (especially chamber) and jazz.
If the opportunity and situation is available, I highly recommend laying down on a pillow with the SR1a... Get all of the incredible detail and sound... And BASS!

Mar 1, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #7,710 of 7,885
I have said this before. Try as I might when listening to conventional cupped headphones, I just cannot suspend the reality that I am listening to two cups of sound with most of the tiny sound within my head. Maybe this is because I had a speaker-based system for many years, which to me is a more realistic representation of live music being played in a performing space. And the closed cup compression/decompression bass just sounds unnatural to me. The RAAL SR-1b with their suspended ribbon drivers just outside the ears is by far the closest representation of live performers in a performing space that I have heard, by a long shot. Not to mention that the bass sounds more like bass in a room (I once had an electric bass-playing college roommate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back