Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Feb 18, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #7,681 of 7,885
Aleks mentioned it previously. When I asked Danny and David they didn't think it was a problem. Have to say I am not noticing any negative effects with the SC2 but audio-nervosa and all makes me want to get a deluxe.
I've tried all three of my cables (Original , SC2, and Star8) before finding out about the Deluxe cable today... I didn't really notice any major differences.

Danny doesn't keep stock of Deluxe cable for JotR, but he can make them and send for a trial...
But since the cable can be sent to try... I'm going to give it a go.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #7,682 of 7,885
I am reposting this here. Has anyone tried this mod on the SR/1A to improve the bass and reduce slightly the highest frequencies?

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/rhythmdevils-raal-sr-1a-modding-guide.12354/
Thanks for posting this and planting a seed. I have one of the first SR1a's made but life hasn't let me tinker with them much until now.

Still using the resistor box, heaven forbid, and checking this thread regularly.

So walking past a bin of packing material in the garage this experimental idea popped into my head an hour ago. It cost nothing, weighs next to nothing and was done in 5 minutes. No glue. This is just the first piece I saw as a candidate. Easy to make different sizes. Like it so far actually.
IMG_20240220_152303635.jpg
IMG_20240220_152346039.jpg
IMG_20240220_152438359.jpg

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #7,683 of 7,885
Thanks for posting this and planting a seed. I have one of the first SR1a's made but life hasn't let me tinker with them much until now.

Still using the resistor box, heaven forbid, and checking this thread regularly.

So walking past a bin of packing material in the garage this experimental idea popped into my head an hour ago. It cost nothing, weighs next to nothing and was done in 5 minutes. No glue. This is just the first piece I saw as a candidate. Easy to make different sizes. Like it so far actually. IMG_20240220_152303635.jpgIMG_20240220_152346039.jpgIMG_20240220_152438359.jpg
Looks like you’ll have to change your name to FoamHead….

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #7,684 of 7,885
So here is the final trial and error design. It cost nothing to make aside from a little tape and glue. Each cup weighs 0.4 oz.

I always liked the open feel and terrific resolution of the SR1a's and bought a pair October 2019.

But as everyone knows as they're opened up more and more they sound thinner and thinner.

Now I get the same basic sound except with better low end and a wider sound stage with the cups on and opened wider than my normal way turned closer to the ears. :)

YMMV as with everything. You don't want to close them in too much so it takes experimentation to find the sweet spot of size and shape combined with angle. And the other variable is everyone's noggin is different. Anyway turns out that a fun days experiment had good results.
IMG_20240221_155240120.jpg

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #7,685 of 7,885
So here is the final trial and error design. It cost nothing to make aside from a little tape and glue. Each cup weighs 0.4 oz.

I always liked the open feel and terrific resolution of the SR1a's and bought a pair October 2019.

But as everyone knows as they're opened up more and more they sound thinner and thinner.

Now I get the same basic sound except with better low end and a wider sound stage with the cups on and opened wider than my normal way turned closer to the ears. :)

YMMV as with everything. You don't want to close them in too much so it takes experimentation to find the sweet spot of size and shape combined with angle. And the other variable is everyone's noggin is different. Anyway turns out that a fun days experiment had good results.
I need to try this.

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #7,686 of 7,885

I have to admit I am laughing looking at that

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #7,687 of 7,885
Valkyrie helmet wings painted on them might help............probably not :)

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #7,689 of 7,885
My wife laughs derisively already when I wear my SR-1b phones. I cannot imagine the reception I will get while wearing those foam Mercury wings on my head.

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #7,690 of 7,885

Make sure you get that trade-marked and patented otherwise the SR2a might come along looking rather similar and Alex will receive all the plaudits for the application of his genius.

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #7,695 of 7,885
sorry for revisiting this topic, but wanted to ask u guys, how are you positioning the wings?

as close to the ears as possible (without contact to the ears)? I've been using mine like this for quite some time. but I find I am also enjoying having the wings angled farther out and compensating with increasing the volume. the center image is less strong and less in your face, which I quite like. slightly reduced low end but made up with more turn on the volume knob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back