Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Sep 25, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #4,533 of 7,885
Looks are only looks, and we are in this for the music and sound quality...but damn do those circumaural SR1s look UGLY 🤣
I'm hoping they are just prototypes and the final design will look better.
The smaller tube amp on the left has got to be a hybrid, and the larger tube amp on the right is using EL34 tubes, which will distress further those seeking NOS unobtanium EL34 tubes.
I'd be more interested in hearing about the Raal solid state amp comparisons...

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #4,534 of 7,885
Sep 25, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #4,535 of 7,885
The new headphones have more bass than the SR1a though that was never an issue for me on the SR1a. The new one was not fatiguing with the extra bass. The extra bass was likely due to the 'closed' nature of the phones compared to the open SR1a's.

It has the great SR1a ribbon sound. No brainer for me to buy it.

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #4,536 of 7,885
I'm hoping they are just prototypes and the final design will look better.
The smaller tube amp on the left has got to be a hybrid, and the larger tube amp on the right is using EL34 tubes, which will distress further those seeking NOS unobtanium EL34 tubes.
I'd be more interested in hearing about the Raal solid state amp comparisons...
Are those 6 EL34 tubes? And the preamp tube is 6SL7?

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #4,537 of 7,885
The new headphones have more bass than the SR1a though that was never an issue for me on the SR1a. The new one was not fatiguing with the extra bass. The extra bass was likely due to the 'closed' nature of the phones compared to the open SR1a's.

I’m in for a blind buy. Does it sound similar with SR1a with its wings closed?

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #4,538 of 7,885

Well it should have a ton of extra bass, the SR1A loses like 12db down there.

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #4,539 of 7,885
Funny that, this morning was my first day with Susvara and 1266 Phi in over a months time after a steady diet of SR1a. Every time I listen to my SR1a I say I just wish it had more (your word here), then I go back to others and its like "no, I'm good". The speed, the transparency, the air, the imaging, the fine detail.....

Ribbons (and e-stats) done right are really a tough act to follow for my listening tastes.

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #4,540 of 7,885
Sep 25, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #4,541 of 7,885
Absolutely a blind buy for me.
I hope it’ll be available sooner rather than later. If it’s still a prototype, then most probably they need quite a bit of time to finalize the production version.

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #4,542 of 7,885
The smaller amp on the left appears to be an OTL (or is it running thru the interface to its left? The bigger one on the right appears to be transformer coupled, and yes looks like EL-34's to me. I've already got that with my PrimaLuna but I have to run it thru the interface. The larger one looks to be direct drive (thru the transformers) and it will be interesting to pit it against my P/L thru the interface and see how much the interface actually effects the sound.

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #4,543 of 7,885
Would be very surprised if those aren't just a prototype. Pretty much everything is a blind buy for me lol, so no difference there.. but I am definitely interested in hearing a lot of impressions around bass response before pulling the trigger. Eager to hear more there.

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #4,544 of 7,885
Would be very surprised if those aren't just a prototype. Pretty much everything is a blind buy for me lol, so no difference there.. but I am definitely interested in hearing a lot of impressions around bass response before pulling the trigger. Eager to hear more there.
Yes, prototypes.

I am not going to CanJam but I am sure a lot of folks will post their impressions here The setup is not uber high end but it is as follows:

- ROON Core on a customized unit
- Raspberry Pi
-RME DAC
- headphone amp
- headphones

There are 3 stations for steaming, 2 iPads and 1 MacBook Pro.

The demo hall will likely be a bit noisy too so take that into consideration.

I am also interested in the new big tube amp. I am thinking of selling some extra gear I have now to get the money together. I have a CODA 07x preamp and LSA Voyager 350 GAN amp (modified) that will be available if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #4,545 of 7,885
Any word on the difference between the HSA-1b and the PDA1a?

From the pictures it seems like the PDA-1a (SS) and the PDT-1a (Tube) aren't meant for ribbon headphones at all, while the HSA-1b (SS) and VM-1a (Tube) are. Not sure if that is actually correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back