Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Sep 25, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #4,546 of 7,842
I am told straight from the horses mouth that the new HP will retail for 1900 dollars and if it is as good as the sr1a it should sell a ton of units, also that they should ship in 30 days...good news for those of us who love the sr1a and look forward to the new version

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #4,547 of 7,842
Yippee!!!!! I'll be checking often on this and can't wait to get my hands on that larger tube amp.

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #4,548 of 7,842
I am told straight from the horses mouth that the new HP will retail for 1900 dollars and if it is as good as the sr1a it should sell a ton of units, also that they should ship in 30 days...good news for those of us who love the sr1a and look forward to the new version
$1900??? WOW

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #4,549 of 7,842
You'll still need the interface box though, would a new interface box be available since the current one, IIUC, has baffle compensation built in?

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #4,550 of 7,842
Or the HSA-1b I suppose should work with it.

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #4,551 of 7,842
Bye bye LCD-R. I love how aggressive they're pushing the market. Bravo!

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #4,552 of 7,842
I assume both the jotr and the hsa-1b will work

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #4,553 of 7,842
Wow, that is a superb price. We need more photos of it.

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #4,554 of 7,842
I would have to actually see that $1900 tag in person to believe the horse's mouth, but if true, I take back (some of) what I said about how ugly the circumaural Raal is :ksc75smile:

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #4,555 of 7,842
I assume both the jotr and the hsa-1b will work
Ah! That's right, the JOT R can toggle off the baffle if not needed, I remember Jason talking about that way back.
I forgot it had the switch as I never used it, SR1a output only.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #4,556 of 7,842
I would have to actually see that $1900 tag in person to believe the horse's mouth, but if true, I take back (some of) what I said about how ugly the circumaural Raal is :ksc75smile:
I exchanged messages today with danny from raal who is at canjam unless he isnt telling me the truth that is the price
he is a really really nice guy by the way

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #4,557 of 7,842
I also heard $1900 from the guys at Audeze booth. Though I thought they sounded nasaly. Possibly the worst sounding headphones I heard at the event unfortunately :/ The Shangri-La Jr's I listened to right after sounded fine/right. The Audeze CBRN sounded awesome. I owned Raal SR1A's for about 2 years and really enjoyed them. I do like the fact the price is lower unlike Audeze/Dan Clark/Stax/many others: with new headphone prices around $4k+ on their high end headphones.

But yeah, maybe with EQ they'd be okay? I wish they could do something like Dan Clark Stealth to get a flatter response out of the closed back out of the box or something.

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #4,558 of 7,842
I exchanged messages today with danny from raal who is at canjam unless he isnt telling me the truth that is the price
he is a really really nice guy by the way
True, I've exchanged a few E-mails with him myself.

Sep 25, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #4,559 of 7,842
I have owned the sr1a for about a year now and think they are truly remarkable...I obviously havent heard the new ones but if they are even in the same league as the sr1a for 1900 I can see them flying off the shelves

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #4,560 of 7,842
Probably the biggest surprise (by a huge margin) of CanJam for me was re-auditioning the SR1a today. I heard them a couple of years ago in the same venue through a speaker amp I don't recall, and at the time I was thoroughly unimpressed. Bass was non-existent and I also wasn't hearing the cavernous soundstage that everyone talks about. At the time, I honestly would have bet big that they would end up flopping in the marketplace. So I was frankly blown away when I heard them again today through the HSA-1b and there was convincing bass and a wide open airy soundstage with pinpoint imaging! I was playing rock music and enjoying the hell out of it. First track was Crosseyed and Painless by Talking Heads, and then some other stuff I don't recall now. The amp is obviously doing some EQ, and I think they dialed it in just about right for my preferences.

I then listened to the circumaural version, which was a prototype with makeshift pads and a different gimbal than the production version will use. Other than that, I think everything will be essentially the same. My take was that you gained a bit of bass and lost spaciousness, and it was not a tradeoff I'd make personally given how much I already liked the OG bass. I also think the frequency response was a tad more uneven on the circumaural, which I'm quite sensitive to. So, all in all, the OG would be my clear choice, even at the much higher price. I also like the smaller footprint of the OG.

Keep in mind that these were impressions formed at a noisy show after maybe ten minutes of listening to each headphone, and that I'm a Raal neophyte. Offered for whatever it may be worth. I'm not sure I'm gonna run out and blow $8k on a Raal rig, as I'd have to do much more critical listening in a quiet environment before making that leap, but it no longer seems insane to contemplate. Baby steps... :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back