RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #961 of 2,357
Wow... That's (maybe) more than 8 months into the future and you're worried about the queue? Oh boy, these things really must be the premium version of the Tungsten...
You may be right though, after Highend Munich and various other events people with the funds that crave the next big thing are probably very interested (like us, LOL). Furthermore the energizer problem is non-existent compared to the Shangri-La / Stax.

I always wanted to check out the CA-1a but the pads are just looking so disappointing, and honestly cheap...
The Magna and Immanis look like the finalized headphone that really takes a step forward in terms of look and (probably) feel, exactly what you would expect from a TOTL priced headphone.
Yeah the non existing Energizer Problem is a great plus for me here.

I always planned on getting a high end Energizer for my Corina, however if I sell it and consequently don't need to buy an Energizer anymore, the Immanis is basically paid for.
And with the Envy AE the Immanis is driven ad well as it gets.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #962 of 2,357
Apr 8, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #964 of 2,357
As i mentioned, better in what way? Only technicalities? Tonality? Musicality? Lushness? Bass texture? The Susvara is such a great all-in-one package without any weakness when properly driven.
I can listen to music that's not that well recorded and still highly enjoy it.
Again, at that price personal preference plays a huge role, for example i disliked both Warwick systems and they are both "better" than a Susvara in an objective and purely technical way. I personally also dislike a too forward midrange and like more air, that's what the Susvara offers.
Maybe i should try to attend Highend Munich again purely for those Raals, i'm sure they have both models on display, but honestly, you kinda need time and your personal setup to fully evaluate a headphone...
Couple weeks ago I heard Susvara from upgraded Wells HeadTrip II and still can't say i was blown away.

Apr 8, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #965 of 2,357
Couple weeks ago I heard Susvara from upgraded Wells HeadTrip II and still can't say i was blown away.
Ehhh, doesn't mean much.
For me Susvara belongs on a 300B tube amp. You also need to like the Hifiman sound signature to fully embrace it.
Susvara is also not the headphone that will "blow you away" after one listening session, get a 1266 for that. The Susvara excels in fatigue-free but highly resolving musicality.

I rewatched Wavetheorys review of the CA-1a and he mentions a 1-2kHz upper midrange peak that makes voices at least somewhat shouty and honky. That would be a no-go for me if the Immanis had it since i'm sensitive in that region...

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #966 of 2,357
I rewatched Wavetheorys review of the CA-1a and he mentions a 1-2kHz upper midrange peak that makes voices at least somewhat shouty and honky. That would be a no-go for me if the Immanis had it since i'm sensitive in that region...
Did he listen using Mitch filter? With the filter the midrange sounds absolutely perfect. You can have a look at the frequency chart on Accurate Sound’s website for the comparison between with filters vs without.

Apr 8, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #968 of 2,357
I mean, aren't these filters just some EQ? Nope. Be happy with them, but i don't use such things.
Different implementation, as it has so many more taps than ordinary PEQ. Well if you don’t use filters then it will be a totally different case, except perhaps listening via VM1a. Better to stick to Susvara.

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #970 of 2,357
I do use EQ (Schiit MAX) but do not use Roon or other software that I would need to use the Mitch filters.
The filters are really transformative as has been experienced by a lot people here. But if you don’t use such apps, then again will have to go VM1a route to fully exploit the ribbons’ potential.

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #972 of 2,357
I should have a friends CA-1a this week to get a feel for the Raal with my Envy.
I believe the Envy was used at at least one recent show with the new Magna and Immanis and it was supposed to be a very good pairing.
I have no interest in another amp.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #973 of 2,357
I should have a friends CA-1a this week to get a feel for the Raal with my Envy.
I believe the Envy was used at at least one recent show with the new Magna and Immanis and it was supposed to be a very good pairing.
I'll have Envy at Axpona, in Chicago, this week. Very fine amplifier and it pairs very well with ribbons.

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #974 of 2,357
It was used in Heidelberg too for Immanis showcase, pretty sure its a dope pairing, further shaping the sound to your preference with tube rolls is as always a cherry on top.

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #975 of 2,357
I mean, aren't these filters just some EQ? Nope. Be happy with them, but i don't use such things.
Here’s Alex’s view of EQ and filters versus getting the most from the ribbons in the CA-1a…..

If we over-use acoustical tools (absorption, resonators, etc,) to correct for what happens in the ear-chamber, we would ruin the clean impulse response and ruin the sound beyond repair, but yes, it would get pretty flat on frequency response.
Unfortunately, sounding boring, compressed, dirty...

The approach was to let the sound from the ear-chamber leak out as fast as possible, hence the open cell foam pads without wrapping in leather, large gaps top and bottom...

That helps in frequency response, but doesn't completely solve the flatness, but more importantly, it's the cleanest possible way to preserve the clarity and dynamics in sound.

So, the things that we value the most in sound, are not being sacrificed.

The logic is that if EQ these days is so easily implemented and costs nothing, I'd rather give you the fastest, most detailed and most dynamical sound, to which you apply the wanted EQ, according to your taste and preferences, than sacrifice things that are so hard to get.

Ribbon as a technology allows us to get the finesse and detail of e-stats with power and punch of planars, but only if we don't over-do the acoustical tools around the driver, so we figured that if necessary, the user may do the EQ for free, and get rewarded for TOTL performance at half the price, or better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back