RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 7, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #931 of 1,947
I own basically every type of driver, dynamic, planar, estat, ribbon and I'll say I believe ribbons best pull off the magic trick of doing everything well, full bass, sparkly highs, fast, impactful, clear, clean, wide but accurate, good timbre, etc.
+1, fell in love with ribbons when I first blind bought SR1a

I'm just glad I got my order in behind "only" 25 people or so before all these rave reviews from Singapore bring in another 100 orders...
Damn, I hope @Aleksandar R. can have quick production turnover, otherwise there'll be quite a long lead time.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #932 of 1,947

Damn, I hope @Aleksandar R. can have quick production turnover, otherwise there'll be quite a long lead time.
I think the back log is in the 50's.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #934 of 1,947
I am trying to trade my AHB2 amp for a Benchmark HPA4 today. I use the Benchmark LA4 preamp in my office and want to replace the LA4 with the HPA4. I really liked how the Holo Serene preamps's (Livingroom) headphone out (via dual XLR) sounded with the Immanis and the TI-1b. I also have a Schitt Mjolnir v3 headphone amp which may not be as good as the HPA4 and the Serene since it is a warmer Class A. I shall see soon enough.

Of course, I have the VM-1a which is killer on the Immanis. I forgot to mention that I did not hear any noise from the VM-1a when demoing the Immanis. There was a post earlier about a noisy tube on the VM-1a. Mine sounded perfect.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #935 of 1,947
I really liked how the Holo Serene preamps's (Livingroom) headphone out (via dual XLR) sounded with the Immanis and the TI-1b.
As a Holo Bliss owner (basically a more powerful Serene), I'm glad to hear this :)

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #936 of 1,947
I dont't have time to read 62 pages so i ask. New interface is compatible with CA1 and SR1? And it is better that old one so i can plug in my AMP and they sound better? Is new RAAL HP is more polite to weaker AMP?
If you are asking about the TI-1b it is a night and day improvement over the old one. I had 2 of the old ones and listened to a lot of amps with them. The best being the CODA #8 and the KRELL Duo 175XD. These are some good amps.

Not only is the TI-1b way better sonically over the old setups I tried it also allows you to use a low wattage amp like a First Watt or my Schitt Aegir (20 watts). That is more than enough for both the CA and SR1a. The cost of amps to properly hear the RAAL amps have of course gone way down with the TI-1b.

The newer phones, the Magna and Immanis can be driven by even less power. I heard the Immanis 2 days ago with my Holo Serene preamp which outputs only 3 watts on the dual XLR headphone outputs. The Immanis sounded excellent on that combo. The Magna was also good on that, but I only listened for a short time. After my first short listen with the Immanis I wanted to stay with that phone.

As I posted above, the low wattage ability of the TI-1b is the main reason I am trying to trade my Benchmark LA4 pre for the HPA4 headphone pre/amp (6 watts). I found the TI-1b not really great with the CA and SR1a with low wattage amps. The new phones are way better on the low wattage amps.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #937 of 1,947
It is encouraging to hear listening impressions of the Immanis with Holo Audio - I plan to connect mine to my Bliss. I realise that it will not be the same as listening to the Immanis on the VM1a or the Armageddon but this is what I will have to be content with until the Bliss eventually makes way for my next amp...

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #938 of 1,947
If you are asking about the TI-1b it is a night and day improvement over the old one.
I think he's asking about the new interface, specifically made for the Magna/Immanis. The one with the stand built in.
The answer to his question is still yes, it works with CA-1a and SR1a.

One thing I don't know and I don't think it's ever been stated, are the transformers in the new interface different/better? Or is it the same transformer in a new housing?

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #939 of 1,947
It is encouraging to hear listening impressions of the Immanis with Holo Audio - I plan to connect mine to my Bliss. I realise that it will not be the same as listening to the Immanis on the VM1a or the Armageddon but this is what I will have to be content with until the Bliss eventually makes way for my next amp...
You may not need that next amp. The VM-1a is no longer available and the Serene sound rather good with the convoluted wiring I had to use. Your Bliss is going to be so much better than what I have, and I was really happy with the Serene.

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #940 of 1,947
I think he's asking about the new interface, specifically made for the Magna/Immanis. The one with the stand built in.
The answer to his question is still yes, it works with CA-1a and SR1a.

One thing I don't know and I don't think it's ever been stated, are the transformers in the new interface different/better? Or is it the same transformer in a new housing?
I heard the new amp stand interface and at first I thought it sounded different than the TI-1b but it was because I was using 16 Ohm and the stand was made for 32 Ohm. It can be made for 4, 8, 16. 32 (maybe I missed one). When I did an apples-to-apples comparison, 32 to 32. It sounded the same. Danny told me later that they should sound the same at 32 and 32.

However, I like the fact that I can listen with the TI-1b on my stereo amps and my preamps with different outputs. Strong stereo amps at 16 and weaker amps at 32. With the new stand you get it custom built for 1 setting.

I forgot to mention that I used the 32 Ohm connection on the TI-1b when listening to the preamps headphone output. I think it was better than the 16 Ohm (forgot now). Danny told me to use the 32 Ohm.

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #941 of 1,947
Will this be the new Modhouse Tungsten?
6 months lead time and counting?

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #942 of 1,947

Alex told us that 2 men can make just 5 ribbons per day; not 5 complete cups, just 5 naked ribbons. That’s less than one Immanis per day excluding all the other time and effort to make and assemble the units. I think your hope for a quick production turnover might remain just a hope and you will have to resign yourself to quite a long lead time.

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #943 of 1,947
Alex told us that 2 men can make just 5 ribbons per day; not 5 complete cups, just 5 naked ribbons. That’s less than one Immanis per day excluding all the other time and effort to make and assemble the units. I think your hope for a quick production turnover might remain just a hope and you will have to resign yourself to quite a long lead time.

That's what 2 men can do, maybe he got 20 at disposal? :)
One can always hope...

Apr 8, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #945 of 1,947
The best things in life are worth waiting for....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back