R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 17, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #3,766 of 4,421
Almost went with the N3Pro as well, but wanted something that could utilize streaming apps without needing HiBy Link. Don't use Tidal, but I don't remember hearing any digital noise when switching bitrates or in/out of DSD. Keep in mind the R5 Saber also does 8x unfolding, so its handling of Tidal MQA may be completely different than the standard R5. Unfortunately, I have no way of testing this for you until at least next week.

Have you considered switching from Tidal to Qobuz? No need to rely on your hardware being able to do anything with MQA, then. Library is more than extensive, too. Otherwise, the Saber may be a good choice for you and I'll hop onto a Tidal demo to test out MQA capability when the replacement unit comes in.

I have to imagine there's a lot of variables at play as to why my unit just died like that, but I'm willing to give them another chance. Could be a complete fluke, for all we know. That being said, I've heard awesome things about the DX160, especially for its screen quality and those color options look gorgeous, but I need my DAP to have a robust Bluetooth stack for testing purposes and saw too many negative opinions of the DX160's BT stability. Looks like they both use the same DAC chips (same Cirrus CS43198 as the A&K SR25), so I would expect them to at least be somewhat comparable in sound signature (though it really comes down to implementation). Can't find power specs that I can trust for either model to see how those differ, though. Don't think you'd be going wrong either way, but I think having that system-wide MSEB is a major plus.

One caveat I did see with the DX160 (and I have a similar issue with my N5iiS) is that they don't seem to play well with IEM cables that have in-built remotes (source). That might affect you, it might not. Just something to take into consideration.

If R5 Saber #2 doesn't work out, I'm most likely going for the DX160 (2020 Version). There's nothing from Fiio that really has my interest lately. Really hoping this second R5s knocks it out of the park, though. Seriously impressive DAP.
I hope the situation reaches a satisfactory outcome, and wanted to thank you for that reply some pages back. Maybe the clusterfruck will turn into something good by opening up other options...

You made me look into Qobuz again, but their catalogue remains full of holes in my genres.

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #3,768 of 4,421
Misery: I would take the open box with the understanding that they will take it back if there are any problems. Because you don't want to wait for new stock to come in I gather; and don't want to order from Aliexpress. Alternative items are in short supply also. I would think the Shanling M3X (think that is the model) would be similar to the R5. Except I don't get warm fuzzies yet from Shanling in terms of app support.

So far I am happy with the R5. Just chilled out to some Amazon HD and HiBy music app entertainment on the LZ-A7 set for gold filter - monitor. Excellent experience all around.

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #3,769 of 4,421
I hope the situation reaches a satisfactory outcome, and wanted to thank you for that reply some pages back. Maybe the clusterfruck will turn into something good by opening up other options...

You made me look into Qobuz again, but their catalogue remains full of holes in my genres.
MusicTeck is getting everything back. I'm just ordering a different product from a different vendor. I'm not looking to denigrate MusicTeck, either. It just didn't work out between us.

There's one thing about the R5 I can't ignore enough to warrant a re-buy: that screen. @Joe Bloggs, it might be worth looking into what tweaks you can make with Gboard to allow for more user-friendly keyboard input. That thing is really small and, utlimately, became the dealbreaker for me. I'd go out of my mind if I continued trying to use the search feature in streaming services on that keyboard.

Thanks for the Qobuz feedback. Your comment encouraged me to set up a Tidal trial. Was hoping to test that 8x unfolding, but alas. Guess we both got a sample for the other side out of it.
Misery: I would take the open box with the understanding that they will take it back if there are any problems. Because you don't want to wait for new stock to come in I gather; and don't want to order from Aliexpress. Alternative items are in short supply also. I would think the Shanling M3X (think that is the model) would be similar to the R5. Except I don't get warm fuzzies yet from Shanling in terms of app support.
Thanks, Snuffy. You've been so helpful in this thread and I hope that doesn't change. I'm going to step up a price category and screen size with the SR25; maybe things will be a bit smoother this time.

Apr 17, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #3,770 of 4,421
MusicTeck is getting everything back. I'm just ordering a different product from a different vendor. I'm not looking to denigrate MusicTeck, either. It just didn't work out between us.

There's one thing about the R5 I can't ignore enough to warrant a re-buy: that screen. @Joe Bloggs, it might be worth looking into what tweaks you can make with Gboard to allow for more user-friendly keyboard input. That thing is really small and, utlimately, became the dealbreaker for me. I'd go out of my mind if I continued trying to use the search feature in streaming services on that keyboard.

Thanks for the Qobuz feedback. Your comment encouraged me to set up a Tidal trial. Was hoping to test that 8x unfolding, but alas. Guess we both got a sample for the other side out of it.

Thanks, Snuffy. You've been so helpful in this thread and I hope that doesn't change. I'm going to step up a price category and screen size with the SR25; maybe things will be a bit smoother this time.

SR25 screen size is actually smaller than the R5 (3.6 vs 4.0"). I doubt you'l find the keyboard input any better. Also, no 5GHz wifi or Google Play. And there is that nagging concern that it isn't actually playing hires/bitperfect/MQA when using side loaded apps... Also currently, neither the Tidal or Deezer built-in apps are functioning.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #3,771 of 4,421
SR25 screen size is actually smaller than the R5 (3.6 vs 4.0"). I doubt you'l find the keyboard input any better. Also, no 5GHz wifi or Google Play. And there is that nagging concern that it isn't actually playing hires/bitperfect/MQA when using side loaded apps... Also currently, neither the Tidal or Deezer built-in apps are functioning.
I understand you were trying to be helpful, but can you think for just one second how that came across?

Please continue telling me how my emotional purchase was a terrible one. I'm all ears.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #3,773 of 4,421
Had a rant based on Andrew's response, but here's the gist of it.

MusicTeck had a new R5 Saber on hold for me that another employee sold to a different customer. All they have now is open-box units, which I will get a 5% discount over other their listing price for those units if I choose to buy. Or I can wait until May.

Mixed feelings, for sure, and it's going to give me serious pause before I buy something of this much value online again. If this were a kilobuck DAP and I found out something like this happened, I'd be livid.

@Joe Bloggs this isn't going well.
Sorry I'm a bit confused, I thought you were sending your existing R5 in for repair? Is it that they only have open-box R5s as replacements for your broken one?
edit: Never mind.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 18, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #3,774 of 4,421
Sorry I'm a bit confused, I thought you were sending your existing R5 in for repair? Is it that they only have open-box R5s as replacements for your broken one?
Yes, that's correct.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #3,775 of 4,421
Yes, that's correct.
I know that customer expectations vary greatly depending on which country you're in, but I think that, while it was certainly frustrating that they'd lost their hold on your new unit, the offer for an open box unit and a rebate was a reasonable one. I might take issue with the amount of rebate on offer, but it seems they also offered to refund your purchase, which was the choice you took. It's been a long time since I said hi to Andrew at MusicTeck; I may give him a wave these two days and see how things are going with him, time zones allowing (I'm in Australia now).

Regarding the keyboard, would you say the R5 was registering taps at their correct locations or not? (finger size allowing)

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #3,776 of 4,421
I understand you were trying to be helpful, but can you think for just one second how that came across?

Please continue telling me how my emotional purchase was a terrible one. I'm all ears.

Sincere apology offered if I offended. That was absolutely, positively not my intention in any way. I did not realize that you had already purchased.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #3,778 of 4,421
Sincere apology offered if I offended. That was absolutely, positively not my intention in any way. I did not realize that you had already purchased.
I apologize for immediately resorting to being terse. It's been a rough couple weeks in the compound and I wasn't ready for yesterday. Emotional whirlwind, so my sincerest apologies.

I get that there's going to be some differences between. I'll take the good with the bad. Appreciate your willingness to help me find an alternative.
I know that customer expectations vary greatly depending on which country you're in, but I think that, while it was certainly frustrating that they'd lost their hold on your new unit, the offer for an open box unit and a rebate was a reasonable one. I might take issue with the amount of rebate on offer, but it seems they also offered to refund your purchase, which was the choice you took. It's been a long time since I said hi to Andrew at MusicTeck; I may give him a wave these two days and see how things are going with him, time zones allowing (I'm in Australia now).
Again, I hold no ill will towards Andrew; I just think I ultimately wasn't pleased with the "accidental selling off" of the sealed units he did have. Occupational hazard, but my mind is always seeing these things in a PCR/project management perspective and inventory control with some of our vendors is a very hot issue. If these sorts of logistics are being brought into my mind with a hobby and not through work, it immediately takes the fun out of the equation and that's honestly what I'm trying to avoid. With COVID, a lot of us already have a pretty serious issue being able to compartmentalize work from home; didn't need another adding factor. That being said, Andrew was very apologetic for it happening and I respect him for that.

Even if the discount had been extended, Open Box items come with questionable origin. I'd have concerns about why the item was marked as such. I'd have the same concerns regardless of manufacturer or vendor, though I know folks like Apos will sell used gear that's only been through a rigorous refurb inspection, backing it's quality up with their own warranty. Open Box IEMs/headphones is one thing, electronic equipment is a different risk altogether and one I'm not currently willing to take.
Regarding the keyboard, would you say the R5 was registering taps at their correct locations or not? (finger size allowing)
I'd say it was 50/50. I have pretty average-sized fingers, type only with the edges, and even I was having a bit of a hassle with typing accuracy. Mind, it's leagues better than the Cayin N5iiS, which I thought I'd legitimately need a stylus to operate. It's potentially a calibration issue, but I'm not qualified enough to diagnose.

Apr 19, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #3,779 of 4,421
I apologize for immediately resorting to being terse. It's been a rough couple weeks in the compound and I wasn't ready for yesterday. Emotional whirlwind, so my sincerest apologies.

I get that there's going to be some differences between. I'll take the good with the bad. Appreciate your willingness to help me find an alternative.

Again, I hold no ill will towards Andrew; I just think I ultimately wasn't pleased with the "accidental selling off" of the sealed units he did have. Occupational hazard, but my mind is always seeing these things in a PCR/project management perspective and inventory control with some of our vendors is a very hot issue. If these sorts of logistics are being brought into my mind with a hobby and not through work, it immediately takes the fun out of the equation and that's honestly what I'm trying to avoid. With COVID, a lot of us already have a pretty serious issue being able to compartmentalize work from home; didn't need another adding factor. That being said, Andrew was very apologetic for it happening and I respect him for that.

Even if the discount had been extended, Open Box items come with questionable origin. I'd have concerns about why the item was marked as such. I'd have the same concerns regardless of manufacturer or vendor, though I know folks like Apos will sell used gear that's only been through a rigorous refurb inspection, backing it's quality up with their own warranty. Open Box IEMs/headphones is one thing, electronic equipment is a different risk altogether and one I'm not currently willing to take.

I'd say it was 50/50. I have pretty average-sized fingers, type only with the edges, and even I was having a bit of a hassle with typing accuracy. Mind, it's leagues better than the Cayin N5iiS, which I thought I'd legitimately need a stylus to operate. It's potentially a calibration issue, but I'm not qualified enough to diagnose.
Note that you can't really type with your fingernails on a capacitive touchscreen, as your fingernails have no capacitance (or something like that). Typing with the meat of your fingers yields better accuracy, as at least that would register roughly where you intend it to.

I might be misunderstanding you, of course.

Last edited:

Apr 19, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #3,780 of 4,421

The SR25 is a nice piece of kit, but like most DAPs it has it's share of issues. I genuinely hope it works out for you.

If I were looking for a R5 alternative today, I would probably consider the new Shanling M3x. It is quite new so there isn't much info on potential issues from users yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back