R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 15, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #3,751 of 4,421
Most retailers expect the customer to get a tracking number and look it up themselves. It was always annoying when I sold stuff to have people call me up and ask me to read them a page from the manual.
Sure, but verifying confirmation of goods receipt with the vendor is standard practice in my field and a common courtesy outside of it. I didn't ask him to check the tracking number; I did that myself and relayed that information to Andrew knowing I'm not his only customer. Was just looking to confirm physical receipt.

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #3,752 of 4,421
As someone who has several higher-end DAPs, I often realize that the R5 is all I really need. It is, by far, my most used DAP, with the smaller form factor working well with shirt pocket carry. I wonder if there is a replacement coming anytime soon (I don't count the R5s with the side-grade op-amp)? Improved wifi and BT performance would be welcome (adequate now, but not nearly as good as my Sony DAPs). Maybe some trickle down from the R6 2020?
These few pages were really nice to read ☺

Sorry for being sparse lately; what have I missed recently?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 16, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #3,753 of 4,421
Joe, nice to hear from you. The industry has come a long way since the FIIO X3! I still think the way you allowed users to upvote desired features was innovative and fun.

Any tips for reducing Amazon HD glitches during playback? I download my music, so its not a streaming issue. Out of the blue, every so often, a song will kind of digitally stutter with this app. Its not the song; every time I go back and play it again if there is a problem its not in the same spot and often the track will be just fine. It almost feels like there is a lag between retrieving the music from the memory card and the microprocessor. I already refresh the unit fairly often and clear the cache. My memory cards are all high quality (PNY, Samsung, Sandisk) and are not bootlegs.

Is the R6 Pro 2020 less likely to have that kind of issue?

Anyway this is a great player and a good value.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #3,754 of 4,421
Roon does not work bitperfect on Android as it uses Android system audio.
An old post, I know, but I wanted to get a little clarification on something here...

I just installed Roon on my R5 Saber and noticed no matter what I stream from Qobuz or Tidal via Roon Core, it down-samples everything to 44.1k on the R5.

Is this what you're referring to as Android not being bit perfect? I'm guessing there's no way around this?

Apr 16, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #3,755 of 4,421
These few pages were really nice to read ☺

Sorry for being sparse lately; what have I missed recently?
I fell in love with the R5 Saber, had a few hours with it, but now have to do an exchange because it died mid-listen.M

MusicTeck got it 2 days ago. Hoping I can at least get a shipping notification today.

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #3,756 of 4,421
An old post, I know, but I wanted to get a little clarification on something here...

I just installed Roon on my R5 Saber and noticed no matter what I stream from Qobuz or Tidal via Roon Core, it down-samples everything to 44.1k on the R5.

Is this what you're referring to as Android not being bit perfect? I'm guessing there's no way around this?

Yes, that's what I was referring to. The Roon android app appears to be hard-coded to normal android system audio and doesn't use any hires audio capabilities. AFAIK there are only two DAPs that work bitperfect with Roon (Astell&Kern) and they are setup to be Roon Ready endpoints (rather than using the Roon android app).

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #3,757 of 4,421
Yes, that's what I was referring to. The Roon android app appears to be hard-coded to normal android system audio and doesn't use any hires audio capabilities. AFAIK there are only two DAPs that work bitperfect with Roon (Astell&Kern) and they are setup to be Roon Ready endpoints (rather than using the Roon android app).
@Joe Bloggs if you want to talk about a massive value-added feature, listen to this guy and make your devices Roon Ready. I'd use it in a heartbeat.

Some of us have pretty big music libraries of our own and systems like Roon really help. If you could somehow receive the Roon-Ready cert on your hardware, I think you'd see a lot of fresh buyers pouring in.

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #3,758 of 4,421
@Joe Bloggs if you want to talk about a massive value-added feature, listen to this guy and make your devices Roon Ready. I'd use it in a heartbeat.

Some of us have pretty big music libraries of our own and systems like Roon really help. If you could somehow receive the Roon-Ready cert on your hardware, I think you'd see a lot of fresh buyers pouring in.

Hehe... "Massive value-added"... Totally agree. :sunglasses:

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #3,759 of 4,421

Thanks for the reply!

That's odd that it does that since both Qobuz and Tidal apps send whatever bitrate right through without an issue. But I also know how Roon is (been using it a couple years now and love it honestly) and allowing certain brands/models to be Roon ready for fully Roon capable or however all that jive works.

It's not a major concern as I'm only using the R5 as a temp solution at home until I get another Raspberry Pi 4 and a USB DAC, which I and planning on the new Geshelli Lab's DAC when it comes out. The Jnog got great reviews and seems to have had the sort of sound signature that I'm looking for that I think should match up well with the A90 and Sundara's.

Other than that, Roon works perfectly fine with the R5 Saber. Very responsive, no hick-up or drop-outs, and much easier to use through my laptop than on the small screen of the R5.

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #3,760 of 4,421
Deleted

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #3,761 of 4,421
Had a rant based on Andrew's response, but here's the gist of it.

MusicTeck had a new R5 Saber on hold for me that another employee sold to a different customer. All they have now is open-box units, which I will get a 5% discount over other their listing price for those units if I choose to buy. Or I can wait until May.

Mixed feelings, for sure, and it's going to give me serious pause before I buy something of this much value online again. If this were a kilobuck DAP and I found out something like this happened, I'd be livid.

@Joe Bloggs this isn't going well.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #3,763 of 4,421
Just demand they give you a refund, and buy it again elsewhere. If they refuse to refund you, just file a complaint with your credit card company. I would never take an open box replacement for something I bought new.
Would be a great idea if stock wasn't wiped out everywhere else. I cant help but feel like this was a bait and switch.

Can someone direct me to a vendor who isn't going to pull this nonsense and won't make me wait a week to receive this? I'm pissed. Royally pissed.

Apr 17, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #3,765 of 4,421

Users who are viewing this thread

Back