R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 5, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #242 of 4,410
I think after a couple of more firmware updates the r5 will be squared away. I think they can make the coding more efficient for the UI, it's pretty smooth already. And hopeful just fix any loose ends, like the pops.

The zx500 is like the android zx300. 122 mm is too long for me. If I was going for a bigger android dap I'd get m11 or m11pro.

Plus you can still get zx300A from joybuy if you don't need android for about 350- 390 bucks. 900 is a bit too much.

It could definitely be ironed out, but it also makes me worry in terms of longevity.

I actually have a zx300 and I love it, but I despise not having streaming capabilities. I know it has Bluetooth streaming but it kills the battery.

I really wonder how Sony is going to justify this crazy price! I was really hoping for under 650.

Either way..I found that the r5 is on Amazon and I ordered it. If I'm not happy I can always return it.

Sep 5, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #243 of 4,410
It could definitely be ironed out, but it also makes me worry in terms of longevity.

I actually have a zx300 and I love it, but I despise not having streaming capabilities. I know it has Bluetooth streaming but it kills the battery.

I really wonder how Sony is going to justify this crazy price! I was really hoping for under 650.

Either way..I found that the r5 is on Amazon and I ordered it. If I'm not happy I can always return it.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you'll like it, It's not like it runs slow or anything- there was some shuddering at first with hiby, but everything runs pretty smooth.

Not as smooth as a phone or the m11 but very smooth for a dap. And the pops are annoying but have no bearing on listening to music and I'm sure they will be ironed out. Hiby is still a software company.

And yes if you don't like it easy return. That's why I ordered mine stateside, plus Andrew (musicteck) always takes care of me :)

Can't wait to hear what you think.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #245 of 4,410
Oh yeah, I'm sure you'll like it, It's not like it runs slow or anything- there was some shuddering at first with hiby, but everything runs pretty smooth.

Not as smooth as a phone or the m11 but very smooth for a dap. And the pops are annoying but have no bearing on listening to music and I'm sure they will be ironed out. Hiby is still a software company.

And yes if you don't like it easy return. That's why I ordered mine stateside, plus Andrew (musicteck) always takes care of me :)

Can't wait to hear what you think.

Hey buddy, Have you try using the R5 as a USB DAC/AMP ? If not when you get a chance could you test it out for any issue / delays in Music / Movies etc...?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #248 of 4,410
Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #249 of 4,410
Is it possible for R5 to update firmware to fully support MQA?

Sep 5, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #251 of 4,410
Can it be used as a dac? I don't see any settings.

I think it can? Or at least I think the website said so?

Screenshot_2019-09-05 HiBy R5.png

Sep 5, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #253 of 4,410
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 5, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #255 of 4,410
Well, as a lie it doesn't go very far (it contradicts itself right in the second pic on the site) but I've notified HiBy HQ of the problem.

Umm, even your 'HQ' is doing deceptive advertising then: https://imgur.com/a/jQcYDTP (doesn't contain a disclaimer that it's only a render, not the actual product - as required by (Australian) law anyway).

Well yes as 'lie' it does go far - it's deceit (again, might be different in China, but this would constitute https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/misleading-claims-advertising/false-or-misleading-claims )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back