R2R DAC Options
Dec 25, 2019 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

chrisdrop

1000+ Head-Fier
I'd like to try an R2R DAC. Why? Reading the many threads and commentary has made me think I would enjoy one. I'd be getting it in the UK so references are from that perspective. My ideal price point is <= £2000 (~$2500). After forum scrounging, it looks like the main options in the space are:
The Denafrips terminator seems like it is the most popular of all the R2Rs? That said - expensive. At that price point, other DACs, non R2R, etc come into play; Lampi and others.

My current amp is single ended. Any probable future amps would also be single ended valve amps.

This DAC would be replacing an RME ADI II, which is feature-filled and a quality piece of kit IMO. I like the convenience that it has an integrated headphone amp for occasional use. That said, I'd rather put the cost/ value into a DAC, so the integrated amp is unwanted; cost for something not needed, more DAC instead!

Anyhow - I have poured over the threads above. My current read of the communal opinion is something like:

R7 > Pontus > Spring DAC

Clearly I may have read that wrong. Statements like that are always hard, but every time we make a purchase like this, we try to totally order products. The Pontus seems much less used than other options. Either people seem to have an Ares or a Terminator in Denafrips land. For Audio GD - the R8 seems like another option, but it is not better (or intended to be) than the R7. Several other headfiers I have noticed have the Kitsune edition Spring DAC in their signatures. If I were to guess based on signatures, I'd say Spring DAC is popular when people vote with their money.

What DACs am I missing from consideration? There are various comparisons, but on 3rd party websites. When looking at people's signatures, plenty of people have DACs from these 3 vendors, so any comparisons of the vendors themselves is welcome.

Another very good option might be to do something more expensive, later :)

I think here in London, the local Denafrips vendor is perhaps somewhere I can demo one of these things... I'd love to listen before I buy! Yggdrasil new is 2.3k GBP but I would pref a non Schiit anyhow. I'd like to try one of the smaller vendors.

Tx all!

Dec 25, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 13
I have not listened to any other R2R Dac's.

Since I have had the Spring, I have not even thought about another dac...and I am still using USB. :)
It is a killer dac

Dec 25, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 13
Theres a ton of reading to be done on the topic,here as well as another forum.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tho...-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff.881077/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/life-after-yggdrasil.804153/

After reading those threads I settled on the Terminator,and then the Lampizator happened,which isnt even an R2R.
You might contact Lampi and see if they have any used DACs for sale. They have a nice upgrade program,and all of their older DACs are R2R.

EDIT: Hifishark seems to have a few older Lampis used in Europe in your price range as well.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 13
Wife cooking, "kids" occupied in their computer rooms - leaves me some time to read and listen - even on Christmas !

I have not listened to any other R2R Dac's.
Since I have had the Spring, I have not even thought about another dac...and I am still using USB. :)
It is a killer dac

I had noticed that in your sig. You have good taste in amps, so I am inclined to weight your opinion. They do seem popular. The "Kitsune" version seems tempting. I went into this exercise thinking I would want a Terminator and get a Spring. The forum trawling just made me less clear ! <<analysis paralysis>> will keep me searching for a week or three (he says hopefully).

It is unfortunate that I can't really go hear one in person (much less hear one in my house). I also dislike the idea of "buy/ return if you don't like it" as it is not so great for the vendors.

It looks like the Holo does have a load of positive commentary out there...

EDIT: Hifishark seems to have a few older Lampis used in Europe in your price range as well.

@Monsterzero - tx for the links. Very helpful. I have been watching the Lampi expansion, as well as the sw1xad guys over here... I absolutely went head-fi expense limit-up in 2019! Here is to 2020! Too bad the UK runs on fiscal years April-April!

Dec 26, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #7 of 13
Veridian Utopia is quite acclaimed here in Norway
EC Designs has a new line coming soon (not sure if it is strictly R2R)
Sonnet Audio is a new company by founder and former owner of Metrum Acoustics

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 13
There are pictures of the long-anticipated Holo Audio May DAC. It will be outside my desired price range, but even the its-all-in-the-measurements folks are fans enough it seems... (FYI - full respect to the measurements folks. I am not smart enough to control my biases to know of any truth!)

Jun 4, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 13
After reading those threads I settled on the Terminator,and then the Lampizator happened,which isnt even an R2R.
You might contact Lampi and see if they have any used DACs for sale. They have a nice upgrade program,and all of their older DACs are R2R.

I just looked at the lampizator site today since they're in the next country. Whoops, outta my price range.

Anyway, I found a PDF on their site that says they have a sale program where if somebody has one of their products and you want to buy it, the owner should simply send his Lampizator back to the factory and they will do a total refurb, and I think this is no-cost, and then send it to the new purchaser.

This is one hell of a great way to run a business and keep up resale value. Outstanding!

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #13 of 13
I just looked at the lampizator site today since they're in the next country. Whoops, outta my price range.

Anyway, I found a PDF on their site that says they have a sale program where if somebody has one of their products and you want to buy it, the owner should simply send his Lampizator back to the factory and they will do a total refurb, and I think this is no-cost, and then send it to the new purchaser.

This is one hell of a great way to run a business and keep up resale value. Outstanding!
They also have an upgrade program as well as having pre-owned gear for sale. I think @Gopher knows a little more info about Lampizator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back