Quintessential Audiophile Headphone?
Oct 15, 2012 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

micrors4

100+ Head-Fier
Out of curiosity what is the one set of headphones that you believe every audiophile should own at least once at some point in there life, for me this would probably have to be the Grados sr80s/sr60s as they seem to be somewhat of a gateway drug to the world of headphones for many.  Thoughts?

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 14
It would have to be one of the sennheiser range as I believe they are probably the biggest manufacturer of quality headphones or Beyerdynamic as both have been producing for decades 

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 14
There are too many to name... Sennheiser, Grado, Audeze, AKG, etc.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Oct 15, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 14
Despite their price, the HD650s are probably one of the most well-known audiophile headphones that many own and love. I have HD600s and they're great, but that doesn't stop me from wanting the HD650s instead. 
redface.gif

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 14
I'm gonna say the HiFiMAN line. While not holding the same history as the others mentioned here, they've quickly climbed to very near the top of the headphone scene, and there's a reason for that. I've enjoyed my HE-500s a lot, but would still like to try the HE-6s. Just my input.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 14
Even though I prefer the T1, I would have to say the HD800, a few years ago I would have said HD600, but with the HD800's microdetail retrieval it cant be topped IMO.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 14
The one headphone everyone should own at least once is the HD600. If cost wasn't so prohibitive I would say the HD800.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Out of curiosity what is the one set of headphones that you believe every audiophile should own at least once at some point in there life, for me this would probably have to be the Grados sr80s/sr60s as they seem to be somewhat of a gateway drug to the world of headphones for many.  Thoughts?

Heya,

Basically one of each major producer in a certain range in their family (since some have too many and are actually bad headphones but have some amazing headphones mixed in). But I say this because basically you need to hear many different options before you know what's right for you. One man's treasure is another man's disappointment. Many signature sounds are love or hate. Sometimes comfort is a big deal too.

I would stress to avoid the idea of brand names being equated to quality audio. You'll see everything under the sun with a big name listed, but then something like Sony will get overlooked when they produce some really good headphones that are audiophile worthy. Point being, don't get caught up in one or two brands like they boss around the audio world; focus on what's good in your price range, and sample as much as you can from as many different offerings that you can. That's how you will find your quintessential headphone.

For me, it's been the Denon D5000 over everything else I have/had.

Very best,

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Sennheiser HD 580/600/650 family

I agree,at least from my personal experience with headphones until now,and as an owner of an HD600.

If you pair it with good sound equipment,it's a very good all around headphone,that manages to be warm,musical and lively,and not fatiquing,with good imaging and air to the sound.
I've heard other headphones that sound better in many technical aspects,for example hd800 is clearly ahead in speed/timing,dynamics,detail-separation of sounds,bass refinement etc,but hd 6** series remains a very good choise because of the normal pricing and addictive and musical sound signature out of good systems.

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #13 of 14
I think the Sennies are too high a price for a "gateway" headphone. I would concur on the Koss/sr60 or 80 route though. Minimal spend for great output. Though that's if we are talking solely on "gateway" IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back