Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Apr 27, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #947 of 1,017
So I emailed QS about the backorder and way to buy their amp. They replied me with one short sentence without any greetings or whatsoever??! Did they consider me as a customer or ? Idn if I should expect a refined and sweet sounding amp from that company..
No excuses but they have a very small staff and are always trying to get product out the door.

Apr 27, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #948 of 1,017
So I emailed QS about the backorder and way to buy their amp. They replied me with one short sentence without any greetings or whatsoever??! Did they consider me as a customer or ? Idn if I should expect a refined and sweet sounding amp from that company..
If Mike were a medical doctor, bedside manner wouldn't be his strong suit ... :grin:

I bought mine from a dealer (I'm in the States) called The Amp House. Just checking the site, they are showing one in stock. They were an authorized dealer when I bought my QS as I checked directly with Quicksilver first. If your in the states, you may want to check there. Of course, email them to make sure they really have stock first.

Linked below:

QS HPA at The AMP House

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #949 of 1,017
Apr 27, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #950 of 1,017
I emailed them a few days ago about getting an amp and the reply was a short one liner that there's 1 left, and to call to order.
Being a small company I didn't mind the response and was happy that it was straight to the point.
Ordered the amp and the next morning got word that it has shipped and got the tracker.
So am excited to be getting it in the next few days.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #951 of 1,017
I emailed them a few days ago about getting any amp and it was a short one liner that there's 1 left, and to call to order. Being a small company I didn't mind the response and was happy that it was straight to the point. Ordered the amp and the next morning got word that it has shipped and got the tracker. So am excited to be getting it in the next few days.
I have known Mike since the 90s when I bought a Full Function Preamp and talked to him frequently from the 90s to 2005. He doesn't remember me. lol

He has. lot to do.

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #952 of 1,017
I have known Mike since the 90s when I bought a Full Function Preamp and talked to him frequently from the 90s to 2005. He doesn't remember me. lol

He has. lot to do.
I had a QS GLA for a couple of decades. At some point bought a cage for it. When I got the cage, found it would only fit over EL34s, not 6550s, KT88s. Called and a gal told me “yeah it doesn’t fit over any of the other power tubes”. So yes, it’s not a “feel-good“ shop. But I still like their stuff. That’s why I had to track down a QS HP amp when it came out. Actually, here’s a pic of the GLA with cage. Love nice cages!
IMG_2079.jpeg

Apr 28, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #953 of 1,017
Am already researching tube rolling even before my QS has arrived 🤦🏽‍♂️

Am new to tubes in general.

Whats a good place to order tubes from in the US? I'm assuming that I would definitely want to get matched pairs? From what I gather Genelex Gold Lions would be a good place to start?
I do intend to break in the stock tubes and give them a good listen, but can't help but plan ahead. 😅

Apr 28, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #954 of 1,017
Am already researching tube rolling even before my QS has arrived 🤦🏽‍♂️

Am new to tubes in general.

Whats a good place to order tubes from in the US? I'm assuming that I would definitely want to get matched pairs? From what I gather Genelex Gold Lions would be a good place to start?
I do intend to break in the stock tubes and give them a good listen, but can't help but plan ahead. 😅
I don’t care for the Mullard reissue but the gold lion are very decent tube to go with. Yes I would get them matched which is not difficult. There are also some Russian tubes from the 60s and 70s which are excellent and hold up extremely well but it is the driver Tubes that will make the biggest difference in my opinion, and again the gold lion are very nice for new maid tubes.

Apr 28, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #955 of 1,017
I don’t care for the Mullard reissue but the gold lion are very decent tube to go with. Yes I would get them matched which is not difficult. There are also some Russian tubes from the 60s and 70s which are excellent and hold up extremely well but it is the driver Tubes that will make the biggest difference in my opinion, and again the gold lion are very nice for new maid tubes.
Which are the driver tubes? the 12AX7?

Apr 28, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #956 of 1,017
Apr 28, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #957 of 1,017
Yes, they have the most influence on the sound.
Awesome, thanks. Once I do start tube rolling I'll start with those first while keeping the same EL84 tubes.

Apr 28, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #958 of 1,017
Awesome, thanks. Once I do start tube rolling I'll start with those first while keeping the same EL84 tubes.
I would change to Gold Lion EL84 tubes. I find the Mullard reissue to be too warm and they lack good bass control, compared to the Gold Lion.

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #959 of 1,017
I would change to Gold Lion EL84 tubes. I find the Mullard reissue to be too warm and they lack good bass control, compared to the Gold Lion.
Ah, so the stock tubes are Mullard reissues? I couldn't find any info on what the stock tubes were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back