Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
May 12, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #976 of 1,017
May 12, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #977 of 1,017
Compared to my ss amp, the soundstage is larger, instruments more discrete, air between instruments. And while not thick and syrupy, the mids and highs are smoother/creamier than on the ss amp.

May 13, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #978 of 1,017
Compared to my ss amp, the soundstage is larger, instruments more discrete, air between instruments. And while not thick and syrupy, the mids and highs are smoother/creamier than on the ss amp.
Here’s something to ponder: for me, a great VT amplifier does not ‘electronically energise’ the air around instruments & voices, between performers. The air, the space remains pure, remains inert: sound radiates through without interference. This brings clarity and palpability to the soundstage.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #979 of 1,017
Here’s something to ponder: for me, a great VT amplifier does not ‘electronically energise’ the air around instruments & voices, between performers. The air, the space remains pure, remains inert: sound radiates through without interference. This brings clarity and palpability to the soundstage.
A more clear description 👍

May 23, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #980 of 1,017
I’m getting a Morse code like background noise from the right channel of my QHA. I hear it through the headphones when no music is playing and during very quiet passages of music. I’ve tried a number of things to get rid of the noise. I tried different tubes, plugging the amp into a different wall outlet, unplugging the interconnects, turning off my cell phone and router, unplugging all other electronics in the room with the amp, routing the cables differently, and nothing has seemed to make any difference.

I am starting to think it must be something in the amp causing it. Does anyone have any other ideas for things I can try to narrow down the source of the noise? Paging tube experts @jamato8 @Wes S @jonathan c @L0rdGwyn @Monsterzero

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #981 of 1,017
I’m getting a Morse code like background noise from the right channel of my QHA. I hear it through the headphones when no music is playing and during very quiet passages of music. I’ve tried a number of things to get rid of the noise. I tried different tubes, plugging the amp into a different wall outlet, unplugging the interconnects, turning off my cell phone and router, unplugging all other electronics in the room with the amp, routing the cables differently, and nothing has seemed to make any difference.

I am starting to think it must be something in the amp causing it. Does anyone have any other ideas for things I can try to narrow down the source of the noise? Paging tube experts @jamato8 @Wes S @jonathan c @L0rdGwyn @Monsterzero
Could be a coupling cap on the right side. Sometimes, not often, they can leak DC.

May 24, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #982 of 1,017

I had a similar issue, though tubes seem to have affected it the most in my troubleshooting. Went through 5 pairs of Gold Lion's to find a combo that hardly does it.

It's always on the right regardless of if you switch the tubes?

May 24, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #983 of 1,017
Could be a coupling cap on the right side. Sometimes, not often, they can leak DC.
Thanks for the help. If that’s the case, I’ll probably have to ship the amp to Mike at Quicksilver again.

May 24, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #984 of 1,017
I had a similar issue, though tubes seem to have affected it the most in my troubleshooting. Went through 5 pairs of Gold Lion's to find a combo that hardly does it.

It's always on the right regardless of if you switch the tubes?
Yes, it’s always on the right side. It’s very strange. It’s not very loud either. It’s just audible enough to bug me.

May 24, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #985 of 1,017
PXL_20230525_012455981.jpg

Not sure if this will help some of you, but I definitely recommend tube shields. This has been the lowest I've heard noise on this amp in a very long time.

May 24, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #986 of 1,017
PXL_20230525_012455981.jpg

Not sure if this will help some of you, but I definitely recommend tube shields. This has been the lowest I've heard noise on this amp in a very long time.
Where did you get those, David?

May 29, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #988 of 1,017
Ok, I might have tracked down the cause of the noise in the right channel. I used a really tiny flathead screwdriver to tighten the little connections in the 12AX7 tube socket on the right side of the amp. I noticed it was a little harder to push tube in after this little tune-up, so it definitely accomplished something. I have heard a tiny bit of the noise a few times with no music playing, but not nearly as much or as often.

I only tightened two of the pin openings in the right tube socket, so I might go back and gently tighten them all at some point. It’s good to know that it was something so simple.

Update (5/31/23): Two things together got rid of the noise completely. Painstakingly tightening all the prongs in the tube sockets helped a lot, but then I switched my driver tubes from 1954 Amperex long plate 12AX7s to new production Gold Lions (platinum grade from Upscale Audio). Then I switched my 1955 Mullard EL84s to 1970’s Ei’s I also got from Upscale. Now the background is completely black with no little noises. I think the really old tubes are always going to be more prone to noise. It’s the price you pay for the magical sound. The Gold Lion/Ei combo is still excellent, so I’m glad I have options.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #989 of 1,017
Update 6/10/23: I am back to my favorite tube combination with no audible background noises causing any distractions. The addition of socket savers this week has allowed me to use my 1954 long plate Amperex 12AX7s again with no noise issues. I’m back with the 1950s welded plate Tungsram EL84s as well. This is my sweet spot with the Quicksilver. I’m not going to change a thing unless one of the tubes dies on me. Happy listening!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back