Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Apr 28, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #961 of 1,017
Stock tubes may vary. Mine came with JJ EL84's (JJ Electronic) when I bought a couple years back.
Yes, I would guess what is available and in decent supply.

Apr 28, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #962 of 1,017
If Mike were a medical doctor, bedside manner wouldn't be his strong suit ... :grin:

I bought mine from a dealer (I'm in the States) called The Amp House. Just checking the site, they are showing one in stock. They were an authorized dealer when I bought my QS as I checked directly with Quicksilver first. If your in the states, you may want to check there. Of course, email them to make sure they really have stock first.

Linked below:

QS HPA at The AMP House
I also got my QHA from The Amp House and had a great purchasing experience, so I can definitely recommend them as well.

May 2, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #964 of 1,017
Mine arrived today! Came with stock JJ tubes for all 4. Just waiting for my ZMF to ship now (ordered an AC. My first ZMF).

First impressions are its really good. Sound very dynamic and punchy, and has a more open soundstage. (its my first ever tube amp). Just gotta break it in now. And maybe get some Gold Lions.

Listening so far was with Audeze LCD-X and Hifiman Arya v2. So far no issue driving planars. Barely get to 10 o'clock on the volume knob.

May 2, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #965 of 1,017
Mine arrived today! Came with stock JJ tubes for all 4. Just waiting for my ZMF to ship now (ordered an AC. My first ZMF).

First impressions are its really good. Sound very dynamic and punchy, and has a more open soundstage. (its my first ever tube amp). Just gotta break it in now. And maybe get some Gold Lions.

Listening so far was with Audeze LCD-X and Hifiman Arya v2. So far no issue driving planars. Barely get to 10 o'clock on the volume knob.
It has good power and EL84 tubes are a great tube. Wonderful tone and dynamics.

May 4, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #966 of 1,017
Does anyone use any sort of dust cover to keep dust off when not in use? It does get kinda dusty where I am. Am looking for some sort of cover for it when not in use.

May 4, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #967 of 1,017

I look forward to your impressions with the ZMF AC. I just got mine and this headphone is on my list of amps that I’m looking at

May 4, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #968 of 1,017
I look forward to your impressions with the ZMF AC. I just got mine and this headphone is on my list of amps that I’m looking at
Will update once I get my AC! Am patiently waiting for it to ship! I also ended up getting Gold Lion tubes for the amp which should arrive in the next few days.

May 4, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #969 of 1,017
Does anyone use any sort of dust cover to keep dust off when not in use? It does get kinda dusty where I am. Am looking for some sort of cover for it when not in use.
I use a perfect fitting toaster cover on my Woo WA6, but just use a (cotton, not poly) hand towel for my QS. So you might shop toaster or other appliance covers.

Attachments

• IMG_1566.jpeg
    IMG_1566.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
May 4, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #970 of 1,017
Will update once I get my AC! Am patiently waiting for it to ship! I also ended up getting Gold Lion tubes for the amp which should arrive in the next few days.
Gold Lions's all around took this amp to a whole new level for me. Seriously good with my ZMF Verite and Arya Stealth.

May 4, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #971 of 1,017
Gold Lions's all around took this amp to a whole new level for me. Seriously good with my ZMF Verite and Arya Stealth.
Glad to hear that! I did get the Gold Lions all around. Am liking the stock tubes so far with my Arya V2. Can't wait to hear the Gold Lions.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #972 of 1,017
On another note, is it normal for the 12ax7 tubes to barely light up? The EL84 tubes are like 2-3 times brighter than then 12ax7s.

May 8, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #973 of 1,017
On another note, is it normal for the 12ax7 tubes to barely light up? The EL84 tubes are like 2-3 times brighter than then 12ax7s.
Yes, probably normal. Some 12AX7s are built such that the filaments are largely hidden within the plate structure which obscures much of the glow. The Gold Lion 12AX7's are among those that are built that way.

May 8, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #974 of 1,017
Yes, probably normal. Some 12AX7s are built such that the filaments are largely hidden within the plate structure which obscures much of the glow. The Gold Lion 12AX7's are among those that are built that way.
And other 12AX7s, such as RFT ECC83s, can have the ‘nuclear disaster’ glow at ignition.

May 9, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #975 of 1,017
I've owned one for about 6 weeks and absolutely love it. I've been an audiophile for 40 years and an audio engineer for 30+ years. I've owned many amps and this Quicksilver is the best sounding amp I've ever heard, musical, powerful, silent noise floor, all the virtues of tubes without a tube sound.

I use this one at home with a Crane Song Solaris and Sennheiser HD800S. They are the perfect combination.

While tracking in the studio I use the Little Labs Monotor and the Benchmark HP amps but I'll be buying another Quicksilver for studio too.

There's a Pathos sitting on the shelf in the other room, great amp, but his is much better for less money so it'll be going soon.

So the sound therefore more neutral and fast (SS like) rather than rich, thick, full in the mids and warm ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back