Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Jul 13, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #991 of 1,017
I’m considering selling my Quicksilver after getting my new fancy solid-state amp. I wanted to let people in this thread know first. As many of you know, I have a rather large collection of tubes that I’ve accumulated for the amp over the years. I have an especially extensive array of EL84s.

I’m considering selling the whole tube collection bundled with the amp if I find someone interested. I’d rather not deal with the hassle of selling all the tube pairs separately. I probably have as much invested in tubes as the cost of the amp itself, so it would be great for someone that doesn’t want to spend all the time scouring the web for these relics and also paying a lot more in the end.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested. I probably won’t list the amp until next week, so reach out by the end of the weekend if you want first shot at the amp/tubes.

Thanks,
CK

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #992 of 1,017
I recently bought a used Quicksilver but it come with a non-OEM power cable, and it is in relatively rough condition. anyone know what alternative power cables I can use on this amp except for OEM one? Thanks!

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #993 of 1,017
I recently bought a used Quicksilver but it come with a non-OEM power cable, and it is in relatively rough condition. anyone know what alternative power cables I can use on this amp except for OEM one? Thanks!
I think any generic cable should work fine. I’ve personally never experimented with expensive audiophile power cords.

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #994 of 1,017
Jul 22, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #995 of 1,017
Yeah, I think any standard power cable should work. The one you linked should be fine.

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #996 of 1,017
Aug 26, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #998 of 1,017
Good to see some activity here, so I’ll say me too. Running the very transparent GE Wurlitzer 12AX7 — and beautifully textured Telam EL84.

Aug 26, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #999 of 1,017
Just wanted to say what a great amp this is.. Been enjoying it alot with my atrium open recently
I joined the club recently as well. Also picked up a SPL Phonitor X recently but prefer QS more

Attachments

• IMG_7715.jpeg
    IMG_7715.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 26, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #1,000 of 1,017
I joined the club recently as well. Also picked up a SPL Phonitor X recently but prefer QS more
Glad that all of you are enjoying your QS headphone amplifiers! Mike Sanders builds great amplifiers that are
American made and very reasonably priced.

I owned a pair of 5 tube 8417 monoblocks decades ago and have had my Minimite Monoblocks for nearly 17 years.
IMO, you can pay a lot more for tube gear, but you'll be hard pressed to get better sound quality than Quicksilver Audio
products, at any price.

Aug 26, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #1,001 of 1,017
I had a QS GLA for a couple of decades. At some point bought a cage for it. When I got the cage, found it would only fit over EL34s, not 6550s, KT88s. Called and a gal told me “yeah it doesn’t fit over any of the other power tubes”. So yes, it’s not a “feel-good“ shop. But I still like their stuff. That’s why I had to track down a QS HP amp when it came out. Actually, here’s a pic of the GLA with cage. Love nice cages!
Years ago I was considering buying a GLA but ended up getting a pair of 5 tube 8417's instead. Both are great sounding
amplifiers. I once asked Mike Sanders what GLA stood for and he said "Great Little Amp!" lol

Aug 26, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #1,003 of 1,017
Any standard IEC power cord should work fine. Given that your amp may have had a hard life, you may also want to send the amp back to Mike Sanders at Quicksilver Audio to have him go through it. His service prices are reasonable and if properly taken take care of, QS amplifiers are built to last a lifetime.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #1,004 of 1,017
I owned and loved the Quicksilver, but I have since moved to a solid-state amp for my planars.

It’s a shameless plug, but I have lots of great tubes listed for sale in the classifieds that I used with the Quicksilver. There are lots of EL84s and a few nice 12AX7s.

Aug 26, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #1,005 of 1,017
I owned and loved the Quicksilver, but I have since moved to a solid-state amp for my planars.

It’s a shameless plug, but I have lots of great tubes listed for sale in the classifieds that I used with the Quicksilver. There are lots of EL84s and a few nice 12AX7s.
Once again …. ‘shameless plug’? …. don’t invoke shame or the lack of shame …. be proud of what you have to sell (goddamit 🤣) …. if you aren’t, buyers will sense and beat you to death with crappy bids …. 😕😒

Users who are viewing this thread

Back