Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Mar 12, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #916 of 1,017
Interesting! I wonder how they compare to this for example:

https://www.decwareproducts.com/zlc
Toroid is a bit cheaper. FWIU, noise suppression and dc filtering are automatically eliminated by the isolation transformers. I.e. DC and high frequency signal does not pass through the toroidal coils. Decware has a bit fancier enclosure. Otherwise they appear similar.

Mar 12, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #917 of 1,017
That's great to know!

What is the difference between the balanced power transformers seen here:

https://toroid.com/balanced-power-transformers/

And the medical grade isolation transformers here:

https://toroid.com/cn-series-domestic-isolation-isobox/

At first it seems like the balanced are more intended for audio, however the medical series have filtering (which I would assume would be helpful)?

Edit: Turns out according to other sources it's practically minimal. Overall I feel like I'm barking up the wrong tree with isolation toroids to reduce noise on the QS. I assume the unit has competent power filtering its self.

That said, I am curious what causes the various external noises on the QS...

This question seems like a rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #918 of 1,017
That's great to know!

What is the difference between the balanced power transformers seen here:

https://toroid.com/balanced-power-transformers/

And the medical grade isolation transformers here:

https://toroid.com/cn-series-domestic-isolation-isobox/

At first it seems like the balanced are more intended for audio, however the medical series have filtering (which I would assume would be helpful)?

Edit: Turns out according to other sources it's practically minimal. Overall I feel like I'm barking up the wrong tree with isolation toroids to reduce noise on the QS. I assume the unit has competent power filtering its self.

That said, I am curious what causes the various external noises on the QS...

This question seems like a rabbit hole.
I believe balanced power uses two toroids to pass the wall power magnetically, there is no direct line connection to filter. There is no room for balanced isolation in the QSA. Discrete filtering is more limited than a balanced PS, it can take care of some problems...

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #919 of 1,017
PS
One would think all transformers would isolate, but functionally no. Maybe one of us with more ee experience can explain why. I just know from experience that small voltage matching transformers in computers and other equipment seems prone to noise.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #920 of 1,017
I just got a reply from Mike about the input voltage, he confirmed that 2V is too hot and to turn down the DAC to the ideal range of 1-1.5V.

I haven't noticed any clipping on my 2V DAC but maybe clipping the input on tubes in less noticeable?

I've been considering the new Denafrips Ares 12th Anniversary DAC for my QS and this might be the push I need since my DAC is fixed.

Also I got the 3rd set of Gold Lion EL84 Tubes and they're better, still not perfect. I noticed there was more interference noise when the dryer was running. However turning the dryer off and on again seemed to fix it? Electricity is weird.

I ordered a toroid isolation transformer after all and will see if that fixes things!

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #921 of 1,017
I just got a reply from Mike about the input voltage, he confirmed that 2V is too hot and to turn down the DAC to the ideal range of 1-1.5V.

I haven't noticed any clipping on my 2V DAC but maybe clipping the input on tubes in less noticeable?

I've been considering the new Denafrips Ares 12th Anniversary DAC for my QS and this might be the push I need since my DAC is fixed.

Also I got the 3rd set of Gold Lion EL84 Tubes and they're better, still not perfect. I noticed there was more interference noise when the dryer was running. However turning the dryer off and on again seemed to fix it? Electricity is weird.

I ordered a toroid isolation transformer after all and will see if that fixes things!
That's really strange! Isn't 2V the standard output voltage for DACs? I know there are no options to change the output voltage on my Bifrost 2.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #922 of 1,017
Thanks for that data point - could prove helpful.
My primary source is an OG Sony WM-1A with Mr. Walkman's firmware. I set the output volume @ 100 out of 120. Don't actually know the voltage output specs for that.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #923 of 1,017

2V is pretty much standard but I don't suspect you'll hear any clipping unless you crank the quicksilvers volume pot up. You're more likely to just lose a little more of the top range of the volume pot with 2 volts versus 1.5 volts. The output voltage of the source is usually peak anyway. Music is dynamic, the source isn't going to output 2 volts constantly. I have 2 DAC's going into the Quicksilver. I'm using a Schiit audio SYS to switch between dacs and it has a volume control so I can turn down there if need be (which would effectively limit the output voltage of the DAC's) but I never do. I leave it wide open. One DAC outputs about 1.8V and the other 2V and I don't hear any clipping or distortion with either. If it sounds good, it is good. I wouldn't worry about it.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #924 of 1,017
That's really strange! Isn't 2V the standard output voltage for DACs? I know there are no options to change the output voltage on my Bifrost 2.
Nor on my Yggy, nor any other dac I’ve owned. Yes, 2V is the standard. Seems to me that the amp manufacturer should build to that standard. Much as I like the QS sound since I got it properly tubed, I’ve always disliked the excessive gain.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #925 of 1,017
Nor on my Yggy, nor any other dac I’ve owned. Yes, 2V is the standard. Seems to me that the amp manufacturer should build to that standard. Much as I like the QS sound since I got it properly tubed, I’ve always disliked the excessive gain.
You can always pick up something like the Schiit Audio SYS. It's a passive box ("preamp") allowing for either 2 inputs to 1 output or 1 input to 2 outputs (volume all the way up, you lose volume control if you configure it like this). It has a volume pot which would effectively allow you to lower the voltage hitting the QS. It's also relatively inexpensive ($50). I've used the same DAC's straight in to the QS (and other amps) and through the SYS and the SYS is transparent to my ears. YMMV of course.

https://www.schiit.com/products/sys

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #926 of 1,017
You can always pick up something like the Schiit Audio SYS. It's a passive box ("preamp") allowing for either 2 inputs to 1 output or 1 input to 2 outputs (volume all the way up, you lose volume control if you configure it like this). It has a volume pot which would effectively allow you to lower the voltage hitting the QS. It's also relatively inexpensive ($50). I've used the same DAC's straight in to the QS (and other amps) and through the SYS and the SYS is transparent to my ears. YMMV of course.

https://www.schiit.com/products/sys
Extra boxes and cables go against the grain of my KISS approach to hi-fi. But perhaps I should try one, not exactly a big $ investment.

Mar 15, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #927 of 1,017
2V is definitely the industry standard and many DACs don't have the option of adjusting the output voltage, therefore I'm really surprised to hear 2V is too hot for the QS. I've been feeding mine with the full 2.4V output of my Liberty DAC ll with no problems whatsoever, so i don't get it.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #928 of 1,017
2V is standard. I would ask Mike again. I use 2V, no issue.

Mar 15, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #929 of 1,017
Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 11.50.29 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back