quick question about vintage AKG headband fit/size
Nov 10, 2010 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ikarios

1000+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have both the K701s and some vintage AKGs (e.g. K240M or Sextetts) and can compare the headband? I've thought about picking up a vintage AKG just to see what all the buzz is about. However for me to be able to even consider keeping them the headband MUST fit correctly on enormous noggin (the K701s didn't until I did some ghettorigging of the adjustment section). Do the vintage AKGs' headband max out at the same size as the K701s' do?
TIA

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 7
I have a pretty big head and they fit fine for me, with plenty of room left.  I can't imagine the headband maxing out on the Sextetts or K340.  It goes way beyond what my head needs to fit. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
yeah the k240 (K141 actually too) should fit fine - and I got pretty big noggin

Sounds promising. For reference, I'm currently wearing my K701s about an inch bigger than the max (I took the adjustment "slidey part" and moved it up above the white piece that stays in place). It's the only way the K701 will fit on my head comfortably. So the K240 headband is significantly larger than the K701? The pictures don't make it look any different in max size but those are always deceptive.

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 7
Honestly, I had/have both a K701 and a vintage K240 als well as a new K240 series model (K242 HD) and the K240s generally are of smaller build than the K701. The K701 was by far too large for my small head while the K240 fit just fine. Even though I have not measured the headband extension exactly, I'd say if you have a head so large that you more than max out the K701 headband, the K240 might likely be too small for your head. But I suggest to try for yourself, go see a shop that carries the K242 HD oder K272 HD or any of their smaller brothers (K172 HD etc.), the headband is exactly the same on any of these.

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 7
it's been awhile since I've had the k70x,  don't quite remember the length of the band.

However I do remember the headband was pretty stiff, whereas the k240 sextetts have a much softer one that would adhere more to the shape of your head. So if the fit issue on the k701 in any way relates to the headband not really changing shape (ie. say you've maxed it out because the sides of your head move the headband up, but the center part doesn't touch).  Not sure if this applies to you in any case, just offering the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back