Questyle QP1
Feb 19, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #3,423 of 4,272
  Ok, So I'm an idiot.  I'm sure I'm not the only idiot here but here is my particular idioicy.  I installed the latest firmware upgrade for the QP1R onto my QP1. 
eek.gif
   No it's not my new paper weight, but it has spontaneously shut down a few times and I would like to install the proper firmware.   Where can I find it?   (and thanks for previous responses.  I'm rather new and this is a very kind board.)

GM

Since there have been no firmware changes to the QP1, the firmware has never been posted. You will have to contact Questyle at info_usa@questyleaudio.com to see if they can get it for you. You will probably have to wait until they get back from CanJam Singapore

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #3,425 of 4,272
So after using the 1.05 FW for almost 2 weeks now, here are the differences in user experience I have found myself.

1. The battery indicator problem which was existent in 1.02 is gone. It doesn't drop to ridiculous low levels in short amounts  of time, so Questyle took care of this one.

2. While playing albums where I've combined all the songs into one file for convenience, the player shuts down after about 1/3rd to 1/2 th of the total album duration. This has happened to me several times. This problem was not there in 1.02FW, so Questyle created a problem, which was non existent. Hope this bug gets taken care of in the next update. 

3. There are still problems with APE files as tracks get stuck several times during play. Temporary solution is conversion to other formats

4. DSD files are now on 100% consistent during playback, earlier there used to be occasional lags in 1 out 10 tracks for fractions of a second, that has been fixed now 

5. There is no charge in overall SQ but I have started to enjoy some bass heavy headphones even more than earlier (May be just burn in) that I didn't prefer with the QP1R.

Others please share your opinion,  cause I beleive Questyle needs to make a quick fix for this constant shut down issue, people who listen to one album at a time will have some problems here.

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #3,427 of 4,272
  Someone previously mentioned the Dignis case fits better than the Questyle one. I just received my Questyle case and holy it fits tight so would be interesting to see how that Dignis one fits better.

The Dignis is actually painted on....
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #3,429 of 4,272
Feb 21, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #3,430 of 4,272
a question:  what's the difference between changing gain and changing volume?  suppose i can listen to some headphones at high volume while on low gain, at medium volume on medium gain, and at low volume on high gain.  is any of these setting combinations preferable, and if so, why?  [thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me.]

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #3,433 of 4,272
i know it is said that less efficient headphones "need" higher gain but i'm trying to understand what difference it makes.  i decided to use my alpha primes [90db] with the qp1r this morning.  the dap had been on low gain and i discovered i had to turn the volume up much higher to listen.  obviously on high gain i used a lower volume setting.  the music sounded good either way.  i did not trust my auditory memory enough to a/b the difference, so i was asking what the theory was.  

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #3,434 of 4,272
My opinion the Higher gain setting just gives you more headroom to bring out more of the music. But that's just my usage.. Everyone's differs depending on their tastes, headphones/IEMs, etc..

Even though, I agree, theoretically it should be the same exact sound.

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #3,435 of 4,272
From my understanding, all digital to analog processes generate some noise. High gain is a way to overamplify a signal from the standard level of amplification. That means getting to high would grow the noise to a higher level due to the high gain. Of course, that's all theoretical and in the need for confirmation by wiser and more knowledgeable people. In practice of course, the story's different as it all dépends on our sensitivity and the way Questyle manages the noise on high gain. That may not change a tad, that could be noticeable on highly sensitive IEMs.

In the end, my belief is that it changes close to Nothing if that's done properly with high impedance/low sensitivity headphones. On more sensitive IEMs, that could hinder the listening experience, but as always, that's up to your personnal ears to decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back