Questyle QP1
Aug 31, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #1,246 of 4,272
Not if you know what you are doing. It's not flashing stuff on Android or a jailbroken PSP. There's should be no reason why you would brick it. Now if you mess up kernel and foundation code for the chips and board, then sure. But the base code that functions as the OS, the most you'll do is a "soft brick". But as a coder, you should be able to find those errors by throwing some exceptions and such.
In the case of me, I want to see how they write code for audio applications. I'm not good enough to jump straight into making one from scratch. Besides, I'm not trying to mess with my DAP.
If you know that much, you won't need their consent or help. Throwing it out there gets tweaks that think they know more than they actually do fiddling about but I'll defer to q.

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #1,247 of 4,272

I'll pass on your request.

Thanks mate. I can't wait to hear back on what they say.

If you know that much, you won't need their consent or help. Throwing it out there gets tweaks that think they know more than they actually do fiddling about but I'll defer to q.

Oh, I wasn't meaning to come off as making it sound like I know more than them. I know I don't since I would be working for them if I did. But I wanted to point out my intentions for wanted the source code. I am a student programmer and want as many sources of complete source codes so I can use as reference and guides for the future. Programming is much like art and music as people have many different ways of doing something which still results in the same.
It would be a dream to be able to submit work to them when I'm better but I don't expect that any time soon. As I learn, its my job to understand how stuff functions. I'm actually required to take classes for problem solving, which I think is annoying. A good programmer must have those skills or they won't pass, so I feel its counter productive. But alas, I'm off topic again.

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #1,248 of 4,272
   I would love to hear any comparisons to the ZX2 please if anyone got the chance?

Did some brief mention in my review. Basically, more resolution / recording studio-like accuracy to the QP1R. ZX2 is more musical.

ZX2 gets the nod for Android apps and NAS, TIDAL, DEEZER, etc and longer battery life. Touchscreen too.

QP1R has MUCH more amp output so you can use pretty much any headphone without needing an external amp.

Storage goes to QP1R due to two microSD slots and cards add more flexibility versus on-board memory (swaps cards is easy between devices)

Precision in soundscape / channel separation and instrument width precisely defined goes to the QP1R.

Available accessories goes to the ZX2

There's more, yet those are the 'basics'. My reviews of each gives listening notes, etc. As always, it may simply boil down to what you prefer to hear at a given point in time. If you like power hungry headphones the Sony might need an amp whereas the QP1R generally doesn't.

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,249 of 4,272

Did some brief mention in my review. Basically, more resolution / recording studio-like accuracy to the QP1R. ZX2 is more musical.

ZX2 gets the nod for Android apps and NAS, TIDAL, DEEZER, etc and longer battery life. Touchscreen too.

QP1R has MUCH more amp output so you can use pretty much any headphone without needing an external amp.

Storage goes to QP1R due to two microSD slots and cards add more flexibility versus on-board memory (swaps cards is easy between devices)

Precision in soundscape / channel separation and instrument width precisely defined goes to the QP1R.

Available accessories goes to the ZX2

There's more, yet those are the 'basics'. My reviews of each gives listening notes, etc. As always, it may simply boil down to what you prefer to hear at a given point in time. If you like power hungry headphones the Sony might need an amp whereas the QP1R generally doesn't.

Thanks for reiterating Steve, much appreciated. I do like to hear every little detail in a recording so by the sounds of it, it looks like the QPR1 is worth a shot. I love your reviews by the way, you're the main reason I came back into this little hobby, after reading your ZX2 review and follow-up. It seemed like the DAP to go for without having to spend £££ on the AK240, and it hasn't disppointed after the burn-in.

Oh, why oh why can we never be satisfied with what we've got eh?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #1,251 of 4,272
@DGCFAD

Its September, Joe has no updates regarding the current status. Please update people like me who have pre-ordered via headphone audiophile.com . When can we expect it to be sent to Jim, so that he starts dispatching the units to folks like us. 

Thanks 

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #1,253 of 4,272
@DGCFAD

Its September, Jim has no updates regarding the current status. Please update people like me who have pre-ordered via headphone audiophile.com . When can we expect it to be sent to Jim, so that he starts dispatching the units to folks like us. 

Thanks 

Sent you a PM

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #1,254 of 4,272
  @DGCFAD

Its September, Jim has no updates regarding the current status. Please update people like me who have pre-ordered via headphone audiophile.com . When can we expect it to be sent to Jim, so that he starts dispatching the units to folks like us. 

Thanks 

I preordered at headphoneaudiophile.com also. Patiently waiting.

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #1,255 of 4,272
I'm not trying to stir the pot up, but I just want to vent a little frustration over what seems to be some misstatements made by Questyle. At the SF meetup, they told me and other potential buyers that the units were "already on the water" and expect to be received in "about 2 weeks". I paid for mine right then and there.

That's fine. But then it seems like the story suddenly changed, because now I see that the pre-order units were getting EQ installed on them. So unless some magic fairy is in that cargo hold sprinkling fairy dust on those boxes we were told were on the water, then the pre-order units hadn't even been shipped. 

I don't mind being patient, and I'm very excited to own such a great device. I would just appreciate a bit more straightforward explanations.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #1,256 of 4,272
Has anyone thought about which external battery to use  to keep the music flowing?

It's early in the morning and I just got to work and I don't remember if  this unit can play & charge at the same time.
If it can then I guess maybe a external battery designed for an iphone would be a good start ... just wanted to know if anyone else has pondered this at all?

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #1,257 of 4,272

@DGCFAD

Thanks 

I preordered at headphoneaudiophile.com also. IMPatiently waiting.

edited your post so i can say "+1"

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #1,260 of 4,272
Sorry if that came of as a scold. Wasn't my intention at all. I just meant that if you're writing code well enough to do this, you probably don't need them to find it.

It's really nobody's fault. Though, the thing I described is beginner level stuff. I'll be taking a class on Java this semester so it'll be my 3rd language I know. I enjoy looking at something complex and actually understanding it. There's that great pride in the experience.
Source code is the script or text that is written by the programmer prior to recreating it to machine code. This code, while possible to technically extract and regress the progress, it's an area I'm unfamiliar with since nobody taught me how. This is why I requested for the source code straight from Questyle because of their ability to access and copy those lines.
If you wanted to, you could write a program in Notepad, open it up in a IDE and create a program, assuming no bugs. Since I am programming, I want as much sources as I can find so I can make a competent program. My only hope is that they labeled their variables and such with good names and not the "time saving" names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back