Questyle QP1
Apr 9, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #137 of 4,272

Don't have a specific release date as of yet, but will announce as soon as we do.

Can you comment on the development of the firmware?  As an X5 user, the firmware for that player has been a work in progress, which has finally reached a good level of usability.  Does Questile have some previous experience in software design for portable players?  I mean the rig sounds good on paper right now, but I don't know how soon to grab one if the firmware is going to give a lot of problems at the begining.
Thanks.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #138 of 4,272
Can you comment on the development of the firmware?  As an X5 user, the firmware for that player has been a work in progress, which has finally reached a good level of usability.  Does Questile have some previous experience in software design for portable players?  I mean the rig sounds good on paper right now, but I don't know how soon to grab one if the firmware is going to give a lot of problems at the begining.
Thanks.

+1 really interesting in this, let's hope it's as good as it looks

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #139 of 4,272
My biggest question with this DAP:  Will I be able to use it as a USB DAC?  

This thing is really powerful, sounds good (I heard it, I know!) and it seems like a perfect match for that functionality.  It's something that I really value in my X5 and I don't know if I could replace the X5 with something that I couldn't also use as my work DAC.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #140 of 4,272

Thanks.

I haven't seen the final version of the software as it is still in progress, but I have been playing with my prototype for about a month now, and it's fairly easy to use. Future software updates will most likely be feature based rather than functionality. It is real important to us that these units be basically glitch free. Obviously, sound quality is our primary concern, and we've hit that mark if the prototypes are anything to tell by, but we have made software upgrades part of the basic software design, so though they won't be as feature rich as the mass market units, features that are important to our users can be worked in as time allows.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #141 of 4,272
I'm looking forward to the reviews of these two DAPs.  The new Sony NW-ZX2 has received great reviews, and if the Questyles sound as good as the Sony (or even better) even the most expensive of the two undercuts the $1200 price of the Sony player (which does, admittedly, have a few more features).

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #142 of 4,272
Does it support SACD ISO?

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #143 of 4,272
  I haven't seen the final version of the software as it is still in progress, but I have been playing with my prototype for about a month now, and it's fairly easy to use. Future software updates will most likely be feature based rather than functionality. It is real important to us that these units be basically glitch free. Obviously, sound quality is our primary concern, and we've hit that mark if the prototypes are anything to tell by, but we have made software upgrades part of the basic software design, so though they won't be as feature rich as the mass market units, features that are important to our users can be worked in as time allows.

Thanks for your quick response.  I think quite a few X5 owners like myself, might be looking to this player as an alternative.  I also happen to be a blind user, which is why I'm conserned about ease of usage.  I've memorized the number of button pressings to get to where I want to be.  That's why I'm hoping there's no heavy reliability on a touchscreen.
Can you comment on any of the long-winded stuff I just posted?

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #145 of 4,272

Thanks for your quick response.  I think quite a few X5 owners like myself, might be looking to this player as an alternative.  I also happen to be a blind user, which is why I'm conserned about ease of usage.  I've memorized the number of button pressings to get to where I want to be.  That's why I'm hoping there's no heavy reliability on a touchscreen.
Can you comment on any of the long-winded stuff I just posted?

Sorry, I'm going to have to put you off on this until the production model is complete, which should be only a few weeks.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #146 of 4,272
  WAV ADPCM LPCM MP3 WMA OGG AAC FLAC APE AIFF,44.1 KHz - 192KHz,16bit - 24bit   
OUTPUT:
I noticed AIFF and AAC were mentioned, but not ALAC.  My whole collection is in ALAC.  If I buy this player, and it looks interesting, will I have to convert all of my files?  Or is ALAC support coming as an upgrade eventually?

Yes ALAC is supported as long as it is M4A and not M4P (protected)

Gary Barker

Questyle Audio Engineering Stay updated on Questyle Audio Engineering at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/questyleaudioeng @Questyle_Technology https://www.questyle.com info@questyle.com
Apr 11, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #147 of 4,272

hundred likes! focus on sound quality primary and offering basically glitch free experience with ease of use is what most of the audiophiles want! I think you have the right goals and are on a good way to achieve it. As of features it's almost impossible to satisfy all the needs and sometimes the implementation of new features also comes with new problems... so great to know you are focusing on the sound quality and the basics first.
for me as a whole package (including price) this is maybe the most attractive DAP on the horizon.... can't wait to read more about the final product.

good luck guys!

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #149 of 4,272
another question:  i use a folder structure for my music.  will i be able to choose a folder and have the unit play all the files within that folder?  if so, will it also be able to play subfolders [play multiple folders within a higher order folder]?

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #150 of 4,272
  My biggest question with this DAP:  Will I be able to use it as a USB DAC?  

This thing is really powerful, sounds good (I heard it, I know!) and it seems like a perfect match for that functionality.  It's something that I really value in my X5 and I don't know if I could replace the X5 with something that I couldn't also use as my work DAC.

Will this device support gapless play of all formats? Astell & Kern's AK240 does so, Lotoo Paw Gold not yet, though I believe they are working on it.

another question:  i use a folder structure for my music.  will i be able to choose a folder and have the unit play all the files within that folder?  if so, will it also be able to play subfolders [play multiple folders within a higher order folder]?

I've answered about all the questions I can until the actual production unit is finalized, but on my prototype when you plug the USB into a computer it goes into hard drive mode, so I would guess that in the initial offering it will not operate as a USB DAC, but given the nature of the operating system, it is certainly a feature that could be added if there is enough demand. Gapless playback is offered. On my prototype, all files are loaded into a master playlist, from which you can chose All Songs, Artist, Album, Genre, and Custom Playlist. You can also browse the different storage media and select a specific folder and play that. The play modes are list, repeat, repeat once and random.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back