Question to people with muliple headphones.
Dec 13, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #31 of 69
I own quite a few and use them all for reference purposes.

My main headphones are Grado HP-2's, Grado PS-1000, Senn. HD-600's and UE10's. I use these to mix, master and/or remaster. Which one I use depends on the genre or the task at hand.

I use all the others to check the results. For most enjoyment purposes, I use either the HD-600's, Shure E500's, UE10's or the PS-1000's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #32 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have we really determined what the high end of beyer's line is?

I mean, the 880 and 990 have leap-frogged eachother a couple times.

I thought the high end of Beyer's line is the ET-1000. Or maybe those inflatable ones. Also, can anyone on this entire board confirm that a new DT880 or 990 actually has better mids and treble than a DT931? Skepticism and experience of many other headphones leads me to doubt it.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #33 of 69
I've got a few pairs I keep as collectibles, but the majority are rotated in and out of listening every few weeks. I'll keep a couple pairs out to switch up when I feel like it.

It's not so much having a collection as it is being able to switch up to hear a different take on things. There are six pairs on the "want" list right now. All still in production and I'll pick them up over 2008. After that, no new headphones unless a new top model comes out. I will buy the mythical HD-700, but probably nothing else.

Now, if I could just knock it off with the DIY amps. It isn't so much the different sound, I just really enjoy firing up the soldering iron. There's a huge rush when you turn it on and it works, as well.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #34 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is sort of why I am having trouble deciding what to sell to thin out my headphone assortment. I've already decided I need to reclaim some of the shelf space, but most of the ones I can more easily part with are the ones that're hard to sell without practically giving them away.

And I haven't been to the post office in a while, but I still sell and ship stuff regularly.

going to the post office is a pain. maybe try selling some of your AKGs in sets.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #35 of 69
I listen to each pair of headphones that I own for at least 30 minutes per day, every day, and I've done this for years. This method allows a couple of hours for sleeping, eating and attending to my general bodily functions; it has the more important benefit of protecting me from any of my fellow Head-Fi'ers who would dare to accuse me of being one of 'them there' dasterdly headphone collectors! (As in, "Say, I'm seeing a bit of dust on those HD600s. You're not one of them there headphone collectors, are you? I mean, it's Ok if you are, and there's nothing wrong with it...")

Good gosh, what exactly is so wrong with collecting headphones and doing with them whatever you want to do with them, or not doing anything with them? How many threads have there been about this over the years? How many more, "Oh dude, whatever you do, don't be come a collector" threads will follow this one? Not that I'm suggesting this was the OP's intent in starting the thread, it's just that some people seem to have a real aversion to collecting headphones and I can never quite understand the dynamics of what is going on there.

I could probably put together a pretty good collection threads (or at least posts) from people who just don't understand why other people might want to collect headphones. I don't understand why they can't understand it.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #36 of 69
i use one set of senn 580 on the hi-fi
senn px-100 on the mac book pro
sfi5pro i-pod
71ex sony portable fm stereo
sold or gave the rest away not sure what i am going to get next

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #37 of 69
I don't sell, I give :p

If you enjoyed them, odds are that family/friends will too. Plus some stuff is just so cheap that it isn't worth the effort...HD495's...going to friends/family soon......unless someone wants to give me a set of grado's for them.

Dec 14, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the high end of Beyer's line is the ET-1000. Or maybe those inflatable ones. Also, can anyone on this entire board confirm that a new DT880 or 990 actually has better mids and treble than a DT931? Skepticism and experience of many other headphones leads me to doubt it.

You make it sound so cut & dry. I'm sure some will say yes & others will say no..

Dec 14, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #39 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to each pair of headphones that I own for at least 30 minutes per day, every day, and I've done this for years. This method allows a couple of hours for sleeping, eating and attending to my general bodily functions; it has the more important benefit of protecting me from any of my fellow Head-Fi'ers who would dare to accuse me of being one of 'them there' dasterdly headphone collectors! (As in, "Say, I'm seeing a bit of dust on those HD600s. You're not one of them there headphone collectors, are you? I mean, it's Ok if you are, and there's nothing wrong with it...")

Good gosh, what exactly is so wrong with collecting headphones and doing with them whatever you want to do with them, or not doing anything with them? How many threads have there been about this over the years? How many more, "Oh dude, whatever you do, don't be come a collector" threads will follow this one? Not that I'm suggesting this was the OP's intent in starting the thread, it's just that some people seem to have a real aversion to collecting headphones and I can never quite understand the dynamics of what is going on there.

I could probably put together a pretty good collection threads (or at least posts) from people who just don't understand why other people might want to collect headphones. I don't understand why they can't understand it.

Wasn't my intent. But I did make a do you collect headphone thread, & got blasted for it. With lame responses like collect stamps instead. Sorry, I'm into quality headphones not stamps.. It seems people get offended if you have a headphone collection of quaility cans, especially high end & ultra hi end..

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #40 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wasn't my intent. But I did make a do you collect headphone thread, & got blasted for it. With lame responses like collect stamps instead. Sorry, I'm into quality headphones not stamps.. It seems people get offended if you have a headphone collection of quality cans, especially high end & ultra hi end..

Ya, I know that it wasn't and you'll see that in the paragraph from my original post that you've bolded (i.e., "Not that I'm suggesting that this was the OP's intent...")

To clarify what I was getting at a little further, there weren't even any posts in this thread (yet) that set me off; nor was it intended as a rant, as such. Actually, the crux of what I was trying to get at came at the very end of my post. Basically, I don't get what people don't get about it!

It would seem to me that at a place like Head-Fi, people would understand the desire to collect. In truth, I think they do. But for whatever reasons, it seems more popular to sneer at a "collector" as though he is some sort of leper.

The implication (or at least it seems to me) is that someone who ends up with more headphones than he/she has time to listen to on a regular basis must either:

a) have more money than sense,

b) view them as mere objects and thus doesn't have a true appreciation of their intrinsic value as would a true "listener" kind of guy/gal,

c) have a compulsive buying disorder that can go by any number of nasty names (which they usually get wrong but still manage to feel smart about themselves when criticizing others whom they know very little about),

d) be a "gear lover" rather than a "music lover" which of course the man in the captain's chair who is making this (false in 99% of all cases) observation believes himself to be, or

e) all of the above and then some.

So because you collect headphones (which of course you listen to, or why would you bother), you've got too much money, not enough sense, a shallow appreciation of the objects of your desire, a compulsive disorder of one variety or another, the love of gear over music, and probably a tin ear as well.

But I'm like you. I'm not much into stamps. The only ones I collect are the ones I get at Subway, and even then, not for long. Makes you wonder if the philatelics are suggesting to their most enthusiastic cohorts that they take up the headphones hobby!

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #42 of 69
I have a few headphones, amps and sources, and have bought and sold a few more. The ones I've chosen to keep, I view individually as special. I listen to some more than others, but each pleases me in a different way. If I had more money, I could easily see acquiring 4-5 more headphones that I've heard and would love to own. As is, maybe I'll add one pair I really want this coming year. If I had a heck of a lot more money, I could also see acquiring more amps and sources. As far as that goes, it may take a long time to save for what I really want. If some view that as collecting, fine. I view it as appreciation, and since it's my money, I could care less what value others place on it.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #43 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If some view that as collecting, fine. I view it as appreciation, and since it's my money, I could care less what value others place on it.

Yeah, Miss Tell-It-Like-It-Is Vicki!

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, can anyone on this entire board confirm that a new DT880 or 990 actually has better mids and treble than a DT931? Skepticism and experience of many other headphones leads me to doubt it.

I'd say it's debatable. The 990's highs are more like the 931 w/o 120ohm adapter, but the 880's aren't as controlled as the 931 w/adapter. I'd call the mids a crapshoot between them. Then again, I don't think I've ever heard any Beyer headphone with a really outstanding midrange.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #45 of 69
I have a few, not too many though.

K1000, Stax Gamma and MS-1 for work.
K1000, Stax SR-X Mk3 plus Stax 003 for home.
KSC-75 and Ety ER4S for mobile.

I wouldn't call myself a collector as they all get used depending on what I'm in the mood for.

Plus, I've given away numerous phones, sold and traded others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back