Question to people with muliple headphones.
Dec 13, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #16 of 69
I want to hear as many different phones as I can to explore the ideal sound. As long as I keep buying more phones and keep the ones those I like, I've turned myself into a very serious collector.
icon10.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #17 of 69
The problem with me is that even if I briefly listen to the headphones I cannot figure out if I like them. So the only way to do this is comparative evaluation. Thats why I have a lot of them at the same time. The goal is to keep the best and sell the rest.
smily_headphones1.gif
Don't want to start a collection you know. I already have a collection of CDs, but I call it my music library.
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #19 of 69
if i'm not using something, i will sell it. that to me is the difference between collector and non-collector. the collector will keep stuff he doesn't use, just for the sake of having it.

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #20 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Quint what two were the keepers?

James

James:

The two keepers were Ultrasone Edition 9s and Sony MDR-R10s. They complement each other quite nicely, and between the two of them, I think I'm covered for most genres of music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #21 of 69
On my deskop system, I intent to keep 3 open headphones with different soundsignature for different purposes. So far I have RS1 and DT880, and I intent to buy HD580 back (which I liked a lot) or "upgrade" to HD600. Perhaps I might try HD650 but thats off the point. K240S is in my sisters use so it doesnt belong in the group.

And the fourth can in my desktop system, a one closed headphone whenever need occurs, and some resonating ballsy bass, and for games. Currently having Proline 750, but they might be switched to Darth Beyers sometime, but that is not a priority that I aim for.

They all have their uses are have been given "away" to my family members. Only K81DJ is "actively" collecting dust (whom I should give it to...) and RP21 needs to go because they dont get any use.

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #22 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I want a higher pair of dynamic cans from all the bigger manufacturers.

So I still need some Sens, AT's, Ultrasone, and maybe the JVC Victors dx1000.

So do I, but if I get 700 or so I'd be tempted to get a balanced amp & just use the headphones I have now.

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #23 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i plan to eventually get the highest headphone in 3 manfacturers' lineups. beyerdynamic (have), ultrasone, and sennheiser.

I'm like that too.. I already have the 650/SA5000/DT990.

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #24 of 69
Have we really determined what the high end of beyer's line is?

I mean, the 880 and 990 have leap-frogged eachother a couple times.

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #25 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have we really determined what the high end of beyer's line is?

I mean, the 880 and 990 have leap-frogged eachother a couple times.

Thats why I got both..
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #26 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats why I got both..
biggrin.gif

my bet you'll like the dt990 better since you already own the sa5k

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #27 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats why I got both..
biggrin.gif

figure out which headphones you like the best. sell the others and use that money to get the best balanced amp you can afford.

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #28 of 69
i like my bass, so for me beyer's lineup is named correctly
smily_headphones1.gif

one would say then that the dt770 should be placed above the dt880. hmm, no. dt880 is just a better quality phone overall, the dt770 gives up some quality to get quantity. the dt990 is like the dt770+dt880. it's not quite exactly like that, but if you were to combine the 2 you'd get something similar.

so, dt990 is the top beyer phone, imo.

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #29 of 69
The thing is, the 880 came out in 1980, was replaced by the 990 in 1985, and then in, what, 2000, the 880 came back completely redesigned at twice the price of the 990. And then in 2003 they redesigned the earcups.

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if i offered the k260-pro in the forsale forum, there's what, me, fitz, facelvega, and two or three other people here who even know what the heck it is. I'm not going to get much money for it.

And i hate going to the post office. I'll go to the post office for a friend, but not for $30.

This is sort of why I am having trouble deciding what to sell to thin out my headphone assortment. I've already decided I need to reclaim some of the shelf space, but most of the ones I can more easily part with are the ones that're hard to sell without practically giving them away.

And I haven't been to the post office in a while, but I still sell and ship stuff regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back