Question: Shure SE535 vs. Westone W4 - Soundstage only!
Apr 6, 2011 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sofastreamer

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I already own a shure se530 and listendes to a W4 for about 2 Todays a few weeks ago. That said, i can still remember the sound signature, but not the performance soundstagewise.

I read a lot of threads here, that the soundstage of the se535 is improved compared to the se530. that in mind, i wonder how it compares to the soundstage of the W4.

I am interested not only in width but also how it expands to the front. I kind of like a presentation, where i can feel like sitting in the 10th row. which one of the two would better match that goal?

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 14
yes,

i already heard the following:

tf10
w3
um3x
sm3
ie8
phonak audeo
w4

from all these i liked the sounding of the se530 best, so i decided to keep them. now that i also own an hd598 i wish there would be a tad more soundstage and out of the had projection on my iems. i now, that soundstage would never match an open hp, but if i could get slightly more, i would be happy. 

so i simply could get the se535, but the w4 was also to my taste, so i have to decide between them. only thing on the w4 vs se530 was that it was slightly too relaxed and somewhat boring. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 14
The soundstage on the SE535 is just a tad wider than the W4, but the W4 has more depth. I prefer the soundstage on the W4 because it actually wraps itself around you in a half circle rather than a straight left and right. It's very 3D sounding compare to the SE 535.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 14
that is interesting, because when i compared the se530 with the w4 the w4 was a whole lot wider in depth, so shure seemed to have done a good job on the 535.

Apr 15, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 14
didn't have a chance to listen to neither, but heard a lot of good about SE535's
in fact I heard so much good about them, that I'm seriously considering getting a pair for myself

the price scares me a lot, but hey ... have to get them while I can still hear well ;P

Multicoring - can't wait to read about your impression on W4's

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 14
I find that my SE535's sound staging is wider and deeper than the SE530s (used to own). Could be a result of the improved treble response in part I guess. But compared to the Westone 4s, I find them very similar. Too similar to call actually.

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 14

Oh I will, I'm waiting for my SE 530 to come back as the SE 535 from Shure. Only have the Westone 4 right now and I believe that it has a stronger, tighter bass and more sparkly highs, I guess I found the classic U shaped frequency graph that the Westones are known for. But the details are very good, the mids are just a bit lacking than the Shures 530s but I bet they improved it with the SE 535s
biggrin.gif
Quote:
hope you will write your impressions about soundstage here.

Quote:
didn't have a chance to listen to neither, but heard a lot of good about SE535's
in fact I heard so much good about them, that I'm seriously considering getting a pair for myself

the price scares me a lot, but hey ... have to get them while I can still hear well ;P

Multicoring - can't wait to read about your impression on W4's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back